Adjusting Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SL1800

Reaction score
I recently purchased a new pair of Summit X speakers. They now have about 100 hours on them and sounding good but it's time for some tweaking. What should I expect to hear when adjusting the angle of the speaker? Currently they are sitting just as they came out of the box which is panel leaned back somewhat with the bottom of the speaker parallel to the floor. FYI my room is small 11'6" x 14'6" x 8' and I have the speaker 3' of of the front wall and 7' center to center and I sit 7' from them.

it would be nice to move your speakers out another foot or two but given your room dimensions I guess that's not possible. Other than that, verify proper toe-in and possibly adj rake angle somewhat more vertical…….depends how far from the floor when seated your ear position is

Highly encourage you (assuming you don't listen critically to music standing up) to set rake angle at perpendicular to floor or perhaps a degree or two short of that, as in a minor amount of back tilt.

Will have a substantial impact (to the good in my opinion) in all performance areas.

GG

SL1800, I have my Montis set along the long wall in my 18+ feet by 16+ feet room. I tried the short wall, but I lost some stereo width. My speakers are set in an equilateral triangle configuration with me and the speakers about the same distance from each wall (that's about 4 feet each). I tried various rake angles, but I settled on the factory standard. Where I got the most 'tweak' was adjusting the toe-in of the speakers. Just a slight adjustment of the toe-in has made huge differences in soundstage and perceived depth.

Speaker positioning is so room dependant. My configuration probably wouldn't work in other rooms.

BTW, 100 hours isn't much. I've had my Montis speakers for about 5 months. I listen every weekend and I've run up around 200 hours. During the first 100 hours they sounded nice, but not super exciting. Just lately (about 200 hours) I've noticed a big improvement in sound quality - particularly in the frequency extremes where the high frequencies now shimmer and the bass has real low frequency punch. I've been 'forced' to dig out old recordings to hear what they sound like on the Montis. It takes a very special speaker to do that. And your Summit X is one of those speakers. :)

Highly encourage you (assuming you don't listen critically to music standing up) to set rake angle at perpendicular to floor or perhaps a degree or two short of that, as in a minor amount of back tilt.

Will have a substantial impact (to the good in my opinion) in all performance areas.

GG

I agree with Gordon on this one. But don't worry too much. My best advice would be to enjoy your MUSIC as much as possible and try to forget the speakers. That is - after all- the very trick Logans do better than most. It is way too easy to get sunk into the "stats are super-sensitive to placement, cables etc." That discourse only serves to distract from the music. Make small changes and adjustments when you fell like it, but don't overdo it. Even sub-optimum, your speakers are still magical!

Thanks for the advice. GG you were right, an angle very close to vertical sounds best to me. To be honest I was amazed how much difference it made, the far left and right sides of the sound stage have become much more 3D and the same could be said for the center stage. The center image was always good but the near vertical stance gives an even stronger center image with greater depth. Also I am hearing better decay of sounds with this arrangement, perhaps it's due to less ceiling bounce. Tonight I will try pulling the speakers out into the room just a little further and see what happens.

Back