i think i'm falling in love again

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratso

Reaction score
...with my vantages. the same ones i had up for sale in the classified section. i have always known, hell i have heard for myself - that they could sound better then they do in my house. i have an all hardwood home with an open floorplan/loft design. you can stand in the front doorway and look out the back window of the house, and up to lofted second floor - the whole house is almost one solid room. and it's beautiful so i will NEVER throw up any kind of room treatments, panels, etc. no matter how they look. i have tried speaker toe in, toe out, close to side walls, far from side walls, close and far to back wall, etc. all it did was frustrate me. (p.s. i got rid of a pair of gallo ref. 3.1's - same thing). so up for sale the logan's went. my plan was to buy a pair of emerald physics cs-2's and see if DSP could help the situation.

well, yesterday, just for a lark i decided to try something i had never tried before. remembering a post i had read here, i slipped a cd case under the back of each speaker (i had no spikes on them), tilting them forward so that they were straight up and down. and just for the hell of it, i toe'd them in so that i was staring directly into the center of the panels instead of the inner 1/3.

i have never had one of those 'magic ears' and have always struggled with these things. but i swear i got excited over these speakers for the first time since i bought them! not perfect, but very much improved. i have taken the speakers off Agon, and think i have hope for them. i will be saving up for lyngdorf DSP unit to see if i can get them dialed in even further. if/when i get it, will report how it worked out. but the point is i can now listen to my ML's and enjoy them instead of just wondering why they don't sound like they should. quite a nice improvement!

i guess my points are #1 THANK YOU to that poster who came up with that 'tilt in' trick. and #2 to everyone who like me struggles with their speakers, keep trying new things. i know everyone says that ML's are sensitive to placement, but i never really quiet got the importance until now.

Last edited:
Welcome back to ML! It's really tough to know what the system can really sound like as most people, other than people like JonFo, really do not have a reference room or experience setting up the system. You are welcome to come by to some of the Chicago get-togethers to hear other people's systems.

thanx david! this is the second time you guys have asked me to join you, sounds like a pretty friendly bunch. i work a ton so i don't get a chance to go out much, but if you guys ever are going out to a show at fitzgeralds in berwyn PM me - i live right around the corner.

Back