How much to pay for a power conditioner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnauzer/lover

Reaction score
Recently if decided to up grade to a more quality Power Conditioner, I was using a monster surge $100 protector, suppose in insulate your power cords as well. So I decided to try out the PPP, power Plant Premier. Now this is the lastest version..... http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/psaudio_power_plant_premier.htm Oh I did read the discussion previously posted on the PPP several threads ago. Hopefully this is new input?
After I hooked everything up to the PPP, I did not even use the remote that is supposed to give you additional listening options, I was totally wowed buy the upgrade in sound with my surround sound system they almost challenge the MLs, but it really did nothing to improve the great sound of the MLs. Since I use my surround system more then the MLs, (thats because I do not have the luxery of sitting on my butt too often in that honey hole spot, so the surrounds 70% to MLs 30%.

Anyways this PPP after three hours started to get as hot as a Onkyo receiver, and still the twin fans did not kick in. so I returned it. I would have kept it other wise. So I bought a Monster HTS 5100 to see how it would do, and will give it to my wife for her audio system. Well it also improved the surround system, but not as much as the PPP. So now I am wondering if I should try another PPP, and if the fans kick in keep it. So maybe I am just venting but would really appreciate other opinions. My wife wants me to settle on the HTS 5100 and forget the PPP, but she said its up to me. Any suggestions would be like I said very appreciated! Thanks

Well since you asked, you will probably get several different opinions.

Here is just one that I have had with my experience with PS Audio Power Plant Premiers (PPP). I have owned 3 PPPs to date. I found them much preferred to just plugging into a wall circuit or power protector strip or even my first power conditioner which was a PC8. They give a blacker/quieter back round and increase your dynamics tremendously with one caveat. That is unless you run a powerful amp directly on the PPP. The achilles heel of the PPP is running a power amp with a strong current draw. PPPs really should not run hot or ever have to use their fan. The only issue I ever had with mine was owerpowering the PPP by running to many things on it, like my Sunfire 5400 power amp.

When this happened I talked directly with PS Audio support and they actually told me that since I was running a big AMP and ML CLXs that would double the current as the impedance went down, that I should not run the Sunfire thru the PPP.

That put me on a mission to find a Power Conditioner that would be the equal of the PPP in sound and dynamics but would let me handle the Sunfire amp and the CLXs at high volumes. It just so happens that TonePub on this forum, has quite a bit of experience in power conditioners and so on his advice, I recently did an A/B comparison with my Sunfire 5400 running on a PPP and comparing it to a Running Springs Audio(RSA) Power Conditioner, a Danielle to be exact.

Basicly I picked a song that I knew intimately and set up both power conditioners so that I could switch just the power cord on the Sunfire amp from conditioner to conditioner. I did this about a dozen times, and frankly I was hoping that the Running Springs Audio would just be the equal of the PPP sonicly but with the added benefit of being able to handle the Sunfire and the CLXs and Logos and Sources and Descent i. Well I was shocked, the Running Springs Audio was not just the equal of the PPP in blackness/quietness but at the higher fequencies it was like a vail was lifted. I couldn't believe it but the PPP was somehow restricting the sound that the Running Springs did not.

In my experience the Running Springs was better with a big amp and MLs. Anyway, you asked and although this is probably more than what you wanted to hear, just remember this is just one person's experience......oh unless you include TonePub because he told me that I would notice a big difference with the Running Springs gear and he was right, which I am finding out he usually is.

But remember your mileage may vary. Oh yeah, I still have a PPP in one of my smaller Home Theaters, where I am running Vignettes's and Sunfire sub, so I really do like what the PPP does but that system doesn't have a big amp just a smaller 100 watt per channel AVR and no separate power amps. It runs and sounds great on the PPP.

Oh and I almost forgot, Running Springs gear is the equal of the PPP or better for Video too. Either way, you can get PPP or RSA used on A'gon and you can always sell the one you don't want to keep. You asked:D

Last edited:
Got to hit the sack, I am sooo tired, but your unfo was just what I was hoping for, opened new doors and would like to relate to it and hear what you think. Thank you very much for the time you took, most informative! Bob

I blew the wad and bought a Furman IT Reference 15i which can accomodate everything, high current power amps included. It definitely improved the imagaing of my 2 channel system, and improved bass depth and definition. Now this was Can $2100, so much more than your budget suggests, but I imagine their more affordable lines should maintain the component quality Furman is known for, and I see in my unit.

My local audio shop also carries the Furman Elite 15i which is what they have their demo units plugged into. See if you can find Furman products in your area and check them out.

If there was ever a product that requires an "in home" audition, the PLC clearly falls into that category.

I tried several devices and am happy with my Furman from a price point / performance perspective. It wasn't "subtractive", which included plugging my amp into the PLC.

No apparent loss of dynamics due to lack of current. This was not the case with other products I've tried in my system. It also offers a level of protection against AC surges, brownouts, blackouts, and such. Both factors were equally important to me when I decided to keep the product.

Money versus value?

Depends on how polluted your AC power is as well as each person's perspective on the benefits once the piece is installed in the system. And don't forget about break in time.

One may hear initial improvements or degradation in the system sound once the device is installed. However, I advise all to carefully evaluate the impact over a sufficient period of time to determine if the initial percieved difference is in fact better or worse. And if you hear an improvement, is it worth the investment from an overall system performance standpoint?

GG

Last edited:
I have two Panamax 5500ex as you can see from my pics I picked them up from tweeter off their sales floor for approximately $400 each ($1000 NEW) I been present during surges and power instability and seen them shut my equipment off ! I think these things are nice to have and seem to work although I still unplug my stuff during storms. as for cleaner sound I really do not think it gets to much better than plugging your amp directly into the wall amps especially good ones clean the power anyway as well as convert two dc current noise in the lines is already anticipated by amp manufactures.they seem like good added insurance to me

Just a coincidence but the people I bought my ML from finally contacted me and recommended the Furman line specifically the reference 20i or the 15i, so Having trouble getting them up of the Furman web site But I do need at least 10 inputs

My systems are not too power hungry with this Monster conditioner it is telling my that I am using 0.8 amperage in stand by and playing my butler tube amp I am using 1.6 amps with a Cd player runing and a pre-amp.. The only time it jumps is when I turn on the TV it reads 3.2 3.8

BTW that butler can deliver 800 watts at 4ohms mono, and 400 watts 4ohms times two for two channel which I am using with my Spires. I never play very loud because of my ears cannot take it. Thanks for all the good suggestions, and I am not looking for the cheapest, but what will fill the bill and a plus to boot. Bob

Gordon has a good point about in home auditions. Power Conditioners are all over the board, ranging from 200 to 10,000 dollars a piece.

That is why I suggested that you might want to go the Audiogon route. There is a good secondary market for these devices and it would be easy to buy two at a time and do an a/b comparison. And then sell the loser, maybe without losing any money.

Or you can live vicariously through reviews and go with the best or one of the best units per the equipment review route. Check Tone Audio there are several reviews in several back issues.

Do yourself a favor though and try a couple, there really is a big difference between these units, say a Synergistic Powercell versus a Panamax or a PS Audio versus a Running Springs Audio. If your system is set up properly you should notice an immediate and big effect with a good PLC. Significantly darker/quieter background with noticeable increase in dynamic range for starters. And don't forget the video effects.

So do some shopping and some comparisons, if you do it right it should be a lot of fun and in the end, enlightening. :music:

Back