hello.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camflan

Reaction score
I'm from Lawrence, KS originally and always wanted to own Martin Logan's, that day has come.

A little on my hifi ownership history:
I've owned PSB Alphas, about 10 years ago, really wonderful bookshelf speakers. I paired this with one of their subzero subs for a great combination.
Next I upgraded to a set of Boston Acoustics VR1 towers up front and pushed the PSBs to surround duties, I was really happy with this combination.
My dad upgraded to a set of Martin Logan's when they moved and I got his NHT Evolution M6 LCR, M5 surrounds and W1 subwoofer - this was an AMAZING setup, I still miss these. When I moved to Florida, I had to leave these behind - I only took what I could fit in my car, and I'd only have a small apartment - no room for such a large system, let alone the ability to turn it up.

Fast forward 2 years, I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment now - no roommates to deal with or worry about my equipment with and it was time to get a stereo setup to enjoy. I went to Kief's when I was home in Lawrence to demo the B&W 685s, I always enjoyed B&Ws when I had listened to them before, especially (not surprisingly) the 800s. I really loved the 685s on the CDs they had in the room (Norah jones and some other jazz) and had read tons of rave reviews - this led to a purchase along with the B&W stands.

I got them down here to Florida and listened to them for a week on jazz, lots of female vocals and some male vocals/guitar arrangements. I was really enjoying them, until I put some rock in. At the beginnings of the songs when the arrangement was simpler they sounded just as great as I'd come to expect, but as soon as things got going and more complex they pulled back into the cabinets and sounded congested. There was no pop, all the detail was there but everything became the same volume. It was as if there was a large quilt over the speaker, killing any pop or dazzle that these songs had always offered over the years. Needless to say, I was disappointed - I soon realized that the tweeter detail was up front and in the face, which is what sold me so fast. I went to a shop here in Orlando and compared them to the ML motion 12s and was amazed at much more natural and open they sounded in comparision. I called up my guy at Kief's and we arranged to get the motion 12s. And then a few days later I decided that I was going to get what I've always wanted and the sound I've enjoyed hundreds of times at my dads house - electrostats. We canceled the motions since they hadn't shipped yet and got the Electromotions on their way.

I've had them for just a few hours now, but they blow the B&Ws way out of the water - its not even close. The clarity is better, highs/mids sound more natural, obviously there is more low end, and there is dynamic range, pop, and openness where I expect to hear it.

The only negative I have so far are the binding posts, not a fan of them - with bananas it didn't feel super secure. Is bare wire better on these?

Overall I'm extremely happy and can't wait to turn them back on tomorrow. Pics will come soon.

I'd like to improve my system down the road with a sub, external amps and maybe throw together a turntable/preamp.

current system
AVR - Denon 3801
Mains - Electromotion ESL
Sources - PS3, Mac Mini/Plex
Cable - Canare 4s11 with GLS bananas

I still have a pair of Alpha B1 (paired with a sub series 1) in my upstairs lair. PSB makes a nice little box. Best of luck on your ML journey! -Rick

Welcome Camflan,

I was a bit supprised when I opened my Electromotions and saw the binding posts. I think you are correct, bare wire will probably work the best. Good luck with your system and keep us posted on your upgrade path.

Welcome camflam. Hope you're enjoying Orlando. I lived there prior to Disney World and loved it.

It's not bad. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for what I'm trying to do - playing professional golf. If I weren't playing for a living, I'd be back in Lawrence writing software still.

Welcome Cam

I won't ask what your handicap is because whatever it is, it blows mine out of the water (which would be nice, because maybe it'll blow all those balls I hit into the water back out again).

Cheers and enjoy that ML high ;)

Welcome Cam

I won't ask what your handicap is because whatever it is, it blows mine out of the water (which would be nice, because maybe it'll blow all those balls I hit into the water back out again).

Cheers and enjoy that ML high ;)

No handicaps when you play for a living ;)

I'm definitely enjoying it :)

- Camron

No handicap in his choice of loudspeaker either! -Rick

Back