Grills or no grills?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoafb

Reaction score
I have a set of Ascents and never really thought about running them without the woofer grills. I noticed one of the members swore by it. Any others experiment with the grills off?

Now I can't wait to get home and try it!

One of the grills on my Sequels came loose when I moved. I pulled both of them off to better secure everything and listened with no grills. I found the bass to be quite a bit stronger, but I put the grills back on anyway. :D

I have a set of Ascents and never really thought about running them without the woofer grills. I noticed one of the members swore by it. Any others experiment with the grills off?

Now I can't wait to get home and try it!

I've measured my Monolith's with and without the grilles over the woofers and there is very little if any measurable difference. So I leave them on.

But a lot of it depends on just how thick the grille support form is, how close it is the woofer edge itself (the monolith is so big, the support form is way out of the way).

Edge diffraction could impact mid-bass frequencies if the form edge is too close to the driver on narrower, newer designs. So YMMV.

Back