Is tilting useful on the larger speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereonerd

Reaction score
6 Bayly St, Baylys Beach, 0377, New Zealand
I find with my Summits that with my average-height chair, I lose some of the bass information I get when I prop myself up. Perhaps if I had a high chair (ha!) or was really, really tall, I'd be at the perfect height for optimum bass. Have other owners noticed this and what did they do about it? Does tilting up or down have any impact on the bass? I could turn the bass up but then it would be quite overwhelming when I'm moving around the room.

My experience with tilting is that it impacts mid and heights much more than bass.
I had both the Summits and 13A’s tilted horizontally. Much more clarity and spaciousness.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like when you move your head up (am I understanding this correctly?) that the bass is less, so there is probably a null at that point.

I have a null in my room that is about 3 feet left of MLP and about 1 foot higher than ear level when I'm sitting with good posture in my seat. The bass is almost non-existent. I found it while using Dirac and making measurements higher and lower than ear level, kept getting "Signal To Noise Error", so I used REW's RTA and moved the mic around to discover where the boundaries are for this null. It's quite amazing how quickly the low frequencies drop off. It's like the Twilight Zone! The good part about this is that the null moves with the center of the speakers and seating, so when I've moved the center of the system a little, the distance from the null to MLP remains pretty constant.

If you go to the search icon and put in rake angle of panel, you will get at least 6 pages of comments.
Every person has different opinions and every room is different. It takes a lot of trial and error.
Good Luck, Brad

Sounds to me like when you move your head up (am I understanding this correctly?) that the bass is less, so there is probably a null at that point.

I have a null in my room that is about 3 feet left of MLP and about 1 foot higher than ear level when I'm sitting with good posture in my seat. The bass is almost non-existent. I found it while using Dirac and making measurements higher and lower than ear level, kept getting "Signal To Noise Error", so I used REW's RTA and moved the mic around to discover where the boundaries are for this null. It's quite amazing how quickly the low frequencies drop off. It's like the Twilight Zone! The good part about this is that the null moves with the center of the speakers and seating, so when I've moved the center of the system a little, the distance from the null to MLP remains pretty constant.
It's the opposite: the bass sounds clearer and bigger when I'm somewhere between sitting and standing position. Of course, similar happens when I move closer to the speakers, but the closer I get, the less great the overall imaging is.

Back