Got the visit of Bernard.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys the next time you play with Shun Mook mpingo disks, get one person to do it wit, say, an LP cover in the way so the other cannot see what he has done.

Then move the discs, or pretend to move the discs, asking the listener to say when he hears a difference.

You will very quickly discover that no one can hear a difference. I know I've done that experiment.

Sorry to spoil the fun. But I know you'll find I am right.

It is psychological.

Justin, you might be wrong. Maybe you can psychologically not hear a difference?

I have blind tested it on people too, including myself, and while I know you cannot hear a difference, people can.

Bernard, why did you happen to discuss me? Obviously I am interested.

regarding the resonators, Bernard, you might think you might not think it worth it now, but when you live with it, they are as important as any amp - in fact, amps are substitutable among themselves, these are not.

The three of us couldn't.

Anyway I am easy anyone who thinks they work and gets enjoyment from them is fine by me.

Roberto,

I purchased a used Carmina Burana Telarc SACD - Robert Shaw / Atlantic recently for about $30 on amazon.

This is recognized as one of the definitive recordings of this piece.

Gordon

Thanks my dear friend! I will do my best to get that version! Regards!

USB cables with my DAC? I can hear zero difference into its Amanero USB card using an ASIO driver. Mind you I have only tried an ultra cheap one (which I use) versus a Lampizator one.

I think I have heard differences between different types of digital input, though e.g. coax versus SPDIF versus USB. Why I do not know.

In fact a while ago in a Nordost dem I think I heard a difference between coax cables. The freaked me out a bit. Were they cheating somehow? Maybe. Or maybe it was just me.

Anyway I am repeating myself I spoke about the Shun Mooks a while back when Kedar lent me his.

I heard a big difference when I used two SPDIF cables, Teo and Audioquest Wild (both pretty high end) from my Sony SACD player into the Lampi (Level 5 at that time). However those two cables made no audible difference when used from the aurender. I couldn't detect a difference from the Aurender's USB using Audioquest diamond vs the SPDIF, so I gave up trying. I will still try the Light harmonic Light speed USB at some time, as I acknowledge I have limited experience with USB and with tweaks I beleive some work a lot and some not at all. I tried some power cables including Kubala Emotion that made no difference and then I put a Tara cobalt in and wow. Speaker cables I have tried tons, extremely high end as well and have not been impressed by the degree of difference. Ditto for isolation, I am a non-believer in Stillpoints and a big believer in Mooks. I will upgrade all fuses at some point.

Last edited:
Justin, here are some reviews of the Shun Mook Discs that you might consider. These guys at 6 moon are one of a kind and they do tell their findings>

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/edge2/edge2.html

http://www.stereophile.com/features/69/

Yes, there are a lot of people like you, that do not find any magic with these discs, but on the other hand, there are a lot who we do listen a nice difference. Usually where they do work is with acoustic instruments and human voices.

I have a lot of sibilance problem with my computer music. With the Mirage cable, almost its imperceptible. I cures all the harsh sound. Specially when the signal is really bad. It does not cures 100%, but makes that harsh to be easy to live with it.

With the spatial control from Shun Mook, just moving the stand 1/4 turn, the speaker where its located, seem to be dead. You bring it to the right position, then you get back alive it. Just a fast way to demo it! Happy listening!

I will visit Kedar soon if he will have me. I might bet him £1 that when I test him with the mpingo disks as discussed he can't reliably tell. I'm prepared to up that bet quite substantially more but that is a bit too serious to be fun.

I will visit Kedar soon if he will have me. I might bet him £1 that when I test him with the mpingo disks as discussed he can't reliably tell. I'm prepared to up that bet quite substantially more but that is a bit too serious to be fun.

I don't have an amp right now, and the Lampi 7 because of it's construction does not allow for the discs to be placed on them (valves come in the way). Nor does my Jadis preamp. It was different when my Lampi 5 and AR Ref 3 had a flat surface on top so I could put the discs on. But why me, you should just visit The mook distributor in Guildford. he loves to take on such challenges with people who are skeptical of mooks. I can join you there and we can blind test each other. He has tons of Mook gear (some of which didn't work on me). He also has the Shakti haliographs which I love but just can't keep in a living room. We can blind test on those too. Also there is a guy around 20 minutes from me, the discs somehow make a massive difference on his speakers (Hornings).

Actually, go to Peter's (much closer to you) and test him, lol. They make more difference in his system than mine

Bernard, why did you happen to discuss me? Obviously I am interested.
Can't remember why, but probably in connection with Mooks
regarding the resonators, Bernard, you might think you might not think it worth it now, but when you live with it, they are as important as any amp - in fact, amps are substitutable among themselves, these are not.
I didn't say they were worth it; in fact I think I said I would buy them if I had the cash, hence my request to you to send me some :)

Actually, go to Peter's (much closer to you) and test him, lol. They make more difference in his system than mine
I had a non-audiophile friend over, played him a track with Mooks in place, then played him the same track after I removed them, and asked him if he heard a difference (without telling him what I heard). He reported the same differences as what I heard. This was a very casual test, without anyone straining to hear micro differences. Psychological? I think not.

I had a non-audiophile friend over, played him a track with Mooks in place, then played him the same track after I removed them, and asked him if he heard a difference (without telling him what I heard). He reported the same differences as what I heard. This was a very casual test, without anyone straining to hear micro differences. Psychological? I think not.

I have a 100% strike rate in converting people to Mooks, with Justin being the sole exception. The best example was, a guy who is a convert to the resonators (and will be buying them for each of his components including his 4 box Audion Quattro pre, 2 box Audion power, grounding box and balanced power resonator), continues to remain skeptical about the discs. I once put in front of his Zu speakers 2 wooden blocks, each with 3 of the discs. He said he couldn't hear a difference. A month later he told me he had actually heard a difference, he was just too psyched then to admit he had, because he couldn't still fathom how they could have made a difference. He and I are good friends, as he lives in London, and we meet up regularly, yet he actually lied during blind testing. And he was lying to himself.

My gf heard a difference on power cables. She said it is quieter and smoother, though very small difference (which was indeed the case). I didn't think those cables were worth the price

I don't have an amp right now, and the Lampi 7 because of it's construction does not allow for the discs to be placed on them (valves come in the way). Nor does my Jadis preamp. It was different when my Lampi 5 and AR Ref 3 had a flat surface on top so I could put the discs on. But why me, you should just visit The mook distributor in Guildford. he loves to take on such challenges with people who are skeptical of mooks. I can join you there and we can blind test each other. He has tons of Mook gear (some of which didn't work on me). He also has the Shakti haliographs which I love but just can't keep in a living room. We can blind test on those too. Also there is a guy around 20 minutes from me, the discs somehow make a massive difference on his speakers (Hornings).

No amps is a good excuse I suppose. But there is shed loads of space on top of a Lampi 7 to move those disks.

Anyway I really just wanted to hear the Verity speakers and I'm not going to Guildford or Taunton to play with mpingos cos I have already made my assessment. Three people completely immune to them in the flesh with a proper test is good enough for me.

What did you make of the Jadis power amps? Are they a possibility?

No amps is a good excuse I suppose. But there is shed loads of space on top of a Lampi 7 to move those disks.

Anyway I really just wanted to hear the Verity speakers and I'm not going to Guildford or Taunton to play with mpingos cos I have already made my assessment. Three people completely immune to them in the flesh with a proper test is good enough for me.

What did you make of the Jadis power amps? Are they a possibility?

I don't think there is to put in a proper triangle with enough space. If there is I would need to experiment. Jadis were very good but nothing to compare with. One guy had promised to bring his art audio and audio innovations over, might be able to hear the NAT from a guy, so then will let you know. Speakers are good but not worth coming over for, at least not yet. You should come over when my power cables, synergistic, modded pc is all set up and you are more open minded so we can AB foo all day long ;).

Speakers are very open and very good midrange. Not getting the best from trumpets and brass. Biggest benefit is learning how important off axis listening is. They also fit any room

Hey I am open minded - I'll try any foo. I just might come to different conclusions than you:)

Yeah Logans - you'd think the curvelinear bit would make them good off axis but actually it seems to make the sweet spot super narrow.

The AMT drivers in my little M&Ds are amazing off axis.

Hey I am open minded - I'll try any foo. I just might come to different conclusions than you:)

Yeah Logans - you'd think the curvelinear bit would make them good off axis but actually it seems to make the sweet spot super narrow.

The AMT drivers in my little M&Ds are amazing off axis.

I don't think I want to go back to planars until I shift to a place where I have a more downward firing room, and my dining table is behind my sofa, and hopefully the living room opens into a kitchen. Then I will always be somewhereon axis

Kedar, if you do a search for Diamond resonators on HiFi shark you will come across a set on a Dutch site for 590 euros.

Kedar, if you do a search for Diamond resonators on HiFi shark you will come across a set on a Dutch site for 590 euros.

I did buy some from there Bernard, ultras are easier to source that way you will rarely find a giant though

Justin, I think it's great that you're willing to give it another chance.. Let us know how it turns out.

When I was listening to Roberto's system he made a change that I saw, but heard no difference; this was with three Mooks on a stand. He then made a change again that I saw, but I heard no difference. We went through this a few times; each time I could hear no difference. He then told me what to listen for, and then I thought I might have heard a subtle difference, but was unsure. Would I buy them for that application? Not from what I heard, but they do make a difference when on my CDP.

Back