First pair of ML's and they need a shower

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigaudiofanatic

Reaction score
So today i took delivery of a set of ML Aerius speakers. The one has a lot of dust on it but the other seems in better shape.

I want to take them apart and shower them tonight. But even as I type this I am listening to them. can I disconnect them right now and give them a shower? I know the removal process.

What makes me think they need a shower is they are very muffled in the mid to higher ranges even at higher volumes. Am I on the right track?

IMAG0235.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

Leave them disconnected for at least 24 hours and give them a really good vacuum first. A shower should be the last resort.

But yes - there are almost certain panel issues if you have muffled sound in the top-end.

They had been unplugged for a while the guy said so when I got them home before i hooked them up. I vacuumed them. If there is a problem what does that intaile for me and mt ML's?

Well, as long as you vacuumed them well - probably the best way is by cupping your hands around the nozzle and ensuring good pressure builds up between your hand and the panel.

Maybe you'll revive them with a shower, or you may just want to order some new panels.

I think I will give them a shower the highs are there they are just not heard well when I sit down. I do not see me having 800 to drop on new panels.

Tonight I will do the shower as they will have been sitting for 24 hours.

Last edited:
I think I will give them a shower the highs are there they are just not heard well when I sit down. I do not see me having 800 to drop on new panels.

Tonight I will do the shower as they will have been sitting for 24 hours.

This makes me wonder about the rake not sure about the aerius but I assume they have adjustable spikes? Make sure the front spikes are not out too far making the angle of the panel so that you are getting more mids and losing the high end. Listening position as well as height of chair will impact your high end

I will check on that, tonight I will give the panels a shower let them dry tomorrow and see what happens with them in my setup at my house. I was demoing them at my neighbors house.

The azimuth / vertical angle, toe-in to the listening chair, and distance from the back wall must be the same for both panels to optimize performance.

Seems like a mighty big room for the Aerius's.

You should also place the speakers equidistant from the center of your TV.

GG

Last edited:
I will check on that, tonight I will give the panels a shower let them dry tomorrow and see what happens with them in my setup at my house. I was demoing them at my neighbors house.

Well if u are anxious to wash them - I guess go for it. But if the issue is placement and the angle of the panels then why risk it? All I'm saying is I wouldn't wash my panels unless it was a last ditch effort.

Not anxious just want them to sound their best. I showered the dirtier one tonight, a lot of surface dust came off as what was expected. After a final rinse with distiled water I am letting it dry over night.

Not anxious just want them to sound their best. I showered the dirtier one tonight, a lot of surface dust came off as what was expected. After a final rinse with distiled water I am letting it dry over night.

Make sure it TOTALLY dries, then leave it another 24 hours to be sure.

Water can get trapped in a few places.

1992 after revers lookup on the serial number.

Here they are in my room all aligned, MUCH better than what they were at my neighbors.

I think they want more power. A few people have told me these are power hoogs so when I get my external amp in a few weeks that should help. I know they roll off after around 10k from what I read.

How they are now they are almost straight, did the flashlight setup and they are a 1/4 away from the end of the speaker.

The amp I am going to get is a Chiro C500 amp. But I am also looking into a Adcom GFA-5800.

Right now they are being ran off a Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi at 110 wpc. Wires are MIT Exp 3

IMG_0619.jpg

Last edited:
They look great!

Now, 1992 means those panels are almost 20 years old. Panel longevity is eminently dependent on how they have been treated, but at that sort of age I'd be thinking about replacement reasonably soon. You'll still get good sound, but when you put new panels on you'll be staggered!

Already ahead of you on that. Email ML about replacement panels earlier. Will wait to hear from them monday.

Also thank you for saying they look great. In the next few days I will start having some friends over to hear what they have to say about them and hear. I do think having a bigger external amp is going to help a lot.

If you think they sound "very muffled" then you shouldn't waste any time getting new panels.

Back