Emm xds1?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still love my Cary.

Outdated?

Maybe.

Extremely musical and emotionally involving?.

Absolutely.

And the current "street" value is $3K max.

GG

"Relatively" is the key word here. The Lampizator is one expensive DAC (to me, anyway).

Relatively, Bernard, because it is much cheaper than the 40k dacs it beats. Also it is cheap in hifi for a price at which one can stop upgrading to another brand, regardless of how rich you are.

How much are they paying you, Kedar?

Not enough. That said, it is true. Ask the guy who owns both the 35k MSB stack and this, and it beats the Trinity, I don't like the Vivaldi anyway though have never ABed it. Btw, if you go on Audiocircle or WBF, you will find that view is unanimous among those who have compared the Lampi with some other well-known high-end dac. In the world of hifi, such unanimity is rare

I don't really buy this super sound quality lift that is supposedly happening with DACs at an alarming rate. Going backwards to triode output stages seems to have produced a DAC that sounds better than a very large majority including very expensive designs.
Justin, I know that there have a been a number of improvements made to The Lampizator. In what areas were the improvements? Was the output stage left untouched, and improvements made in other areas, or were there improvements made throughout ?

That begs the question: would a triode buffer stage improve the sound, or has the damage already been done? I know that Roberto uses a Sonic Frontiers SFL1 as a buffer stage, but theoretically, if you're feeding into a valve preamp you should not need a valve buffer stage.

You have to question it, don't you. It is not consistent with logic or reason.

That said - I have experienced it myself. A few years ago I was set to buy a Naim DAC - and a year later the M-DAC comes out which comprehensively out-performs it for half the price. I don't know.
Adam, if you can borrow a Bel Canto REFLink, you should give it a try, feeding into a S/PDIF input of the MDAC. There was a marked improvement when inserted into Roberto's system.

Justin, I know that there have a been a number of improvements made to The Lampizator. In what areas were the improvements? Was the output stage left untouched, and improvements made in other areas, or were there improvements made throughout ?

That begs the question: would a triode buffer stage improve the sound, or has the damage already been done? I know that Roberto uses a Sonic Frontiers SFL1 as a buffer stage, but theoretically, if you're feeding into a valve preamp you should not need a valve buffer stage.

By referring to a 'number of improvements made' are you referring to the improvements made for the Golden Gate?

By referring to a 'number of improvements made' are you referring to the improvements made for the Golden Gate?
No, the improvements made in going from the 4 to the 7. In your previous posts you already stated that the Golden Gate has the most expensive components available.

No, the improvements made in going from the 4 to the 7. In your previous posts you already stated that the Golden Gate has the most expensive components available.

The 7 is much different from the earlier designs. It is a DHT dac to start with, with high end NOS valves possible. The Level 4 and 5 were normal ECC82/83 tubes. The power supply of the 7 is supposed to be key in the sound, as is the chipless DSD design. While its PCM is the best, the DSD circuit is cleaner and much better. Very different dacs. Frankly till level 5 you get a valvey dac, it can't do separation and dynamics like some good SS dacs. 6 is very good, and 7 is just way out

Hi bonzo,

I'm glad you like your Lampi but I have a request.

Maybe you should start a thread dedicated to all things Lampi so that those who wish to discuss this company's products can do so on a dedicated thread.

And you would make a good Lampi salesman and get some commission for all of your numerous gushing, enthusiastic posts regarding this product.

Just a thought.

Best,

GG

Last edited:
Hi bonzo,

I'm glad you like your Lampi but I have a request.

Maybe you should start a thread dedicated to all things Lampi so that those who wish to discuss this company's products can do so on a dedicated thread.

And you would make a good Lampi salesman and get some commission for all of your numerous gushing, enthusiastic posts regarding this product.

Just a thought.

Best,

GG

Yes. That would defeat the purpose, but thanks for the idea.

So I take it you will continue to hijack all digital threads, on this and other audio forums, to spread the "world according to Lampi" message.

With all due respect, seems a bit fanatical and obsessive to me.

Last edited:
So I take it you will continue to hijack all digital threads, on this and other audio forums, to spread the "world according to Lampi" message.

With all due respect, seems a bit fanatical and obsessive to me.

If there is a comparison done I will do it. If a guy stops by this thread looking for a playback design, he should know that there are a couple of people he could speak to who replaced their's with the big 7. If you want to stop such communication, let me know why. Forums are for such discovery, a point made to you earlier on this thread by Adam, so maybe it is you who should be taking note of forum behavior, not me.

On a forum, if an amp or a component is mentioned, people do put out their recommendations. I have owned AR Ref 3 and Ref 110 for example, and have jadis, and have recommended other components I have compared with against them, in fact, I have not recommended the ones I own. Likewise, when someone mentions digital, I, and other Lampi owners, recommend Lampi, because, since you have been reading so many of my threads, you will note that it is almost universal Lampi outdoes other stuff. Same for the mooks. Therefore those two components keep reappearing on most of my threads. Had they been lesser they wouldn't. Hope that explains. The cables and pre and power I have owned unfortunately have not been such universal beaters

Last edited:
If there is a comparison done I will do it. If a guy stops by this thread looking for a playback design, he should know that there are a couple of people he could speak to who replaced their's with the big 7. If you want to stop such communication, let me know why. Forums are for such discovery, a point made to you earlier on this thread by Adam, so maybe it is you who should be taking note of forum behavior, not me.

On a forum, if an amp or a component is mentioned, peole do put out their recommendations. I have owned AR Ref 3 and Ref 110 for example, and have jadis, and have recommended other components I have compared with against them, in fact, I have not recommended the ones I own. Likewise, when someone mentions digital, I, and other Lampi owners, recommend Lampi, because, since you have been reading so many of my threads, you will note that it is almost universal Lampi outdoes other stuff. Same for the mooks. Therefore those two components keep reappearing on most threads. Had they been lesser they wouldn't. Hope that explains. The cables and pre and power I have owned unfortunately have not been such universal beaters

I'd agree Kedar. We all know how much you love your Lampi (Justin too), and it absolutely seems to be the king of the hill these days when compared against the really big buck contenders (Light Harmonic, dcs, Bricassti, Trinity, etc.). There is nothing wrong with recommending it when the topic comes up.

I will point out though that with regard to the Original post, Joey was asking about a 1 box player in his question about the emm, which is why (similar to you) I had suggested the Playback Design unit, as both are universal players as opposed to just a DAC. The Lampi would still require a transport or computer feeding it a digital signal. Not to suggest that going down that path is wrong either - I myself asked Joey why he want's a disk spinner at all given current trends away from physical media.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with recommending it when the topic comes up.

I will point out though that with regard to the Original post, Joey was asking about a 1 box player

Thank you Tim for clarifying.

Hopefully that addresses Kedar's question "if you want to stop such communication, let me know why".

GG

I'd agree Kedar. There is nothing wrong with recommending it when the topic comes up.

I will point out though that with regard to the Original post, Joey was asking about a 1 box player.

Ok point taken

After meeting the EMM crew at RMAF, I said Hello No. I bought an AURALiC Vega. Couldn't be happier.

Back