Favorite YouTube Channels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverb

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Doesnt have to be related to music or anything, but I figured it'd be fun.

I had someone send me a bass player name Davie504. He makes me laugh and is amazing.

Here he is playing a 24 string bass.

Some of my many channels I subscribe to.

Jay's Audio Lab
Audiophile Junkie
OCD Hi-Fi Guy
New Record Day
Sound Sommelier
Paul McGowan PS Audio
Suncoast Audio
Darko Audio
NPR Music
AudioExcellenceCanada

Anyone got anything else? I'm always looking for new channels.

One I particularly enjoy is this one that follows the complete rebuild of a 100+ year old racing sailboat.
The guy ( Leo ) bought it for $1 and then started rebuilding it from the keel up in WA state.
I've been watching this for the past 3 years and it has been very interesting. He started out by himself with volunteers on someone's property. And over time built up an audience and with patreon has gotten to the point of being able to pay the people working for him and was forced by neighbors to move off the private property.

He tries to explain everything as he goes. Not everything goes well. They had a failed attempt at pouring a new Lead keel from the original lead and had to bring someone in who was very experienced to help them with the process. Even the processes they didn't do in house they cover like the bronze that was poured for the hull bracing, and the mast building operation.

https://www.youtube.com/@SampsonBoatCo/videos
1709644280281.png

Another one I enjoy is Super Fast Matt. He has built a speed vehicle for the salt flats, electrified a very old Jaguar, put a motorcycle engine in a tiny Honda, and is currently taking a Dodge Viper and building it into a 4x4 off roading vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/@SuperfastMatt

1709644218632.png

I enjoy Steve Guttenberg's "Audiophilliac", even though his tastes in music and in audio gear are, for the most part, 180 degrees out from mine. My favorite feature, by far, is the viewer systems. When he goes on and on about his favorite rock albums it gets a big yawn from me. But I do like his friend David Chesky's music, who was recently featured. He loves his horn speakers and flea powered tube amps. But you can't accuse him of a lack of enthusiasm or passion.

One I particularly enjoy is this one that follows the complete rebuild of a 100+ year old racing sailboat.
The guy ( Leo ) bought it for $1 and then started rebuilding it from the keel up in WA state.
I've been watching this for the past 3 years and it has been very interesting. He started out by himself with volunteers on someone's property. And over time built up an audience and with patreon has gotten to the point of being able to pay the people working for him and was forced by neighbors to move off the private property.

He tries to explain everything as he goes. Not everything goes well. They had a failed attempt at pouring a new Lead keel from the original lead and had to bring someone in who was very experienced to help them with the process. Even the processes they didn't do in house they cover like the bronze that was poured for the hull bracing, and the mast building operation.

https://www.youtube.com/@SampsonBoatCo/videos
View attachment 24916

Another one I enjoy is Super Fast Matt. He has built a speed vehicle for the salt flats, electrified a very old Jaguar, put a motorcycle engine in a tiny Honda, and is currently taking a Dodge Viper and building it into a 4x4 off roading vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/@SuperfastMatt

View attachment 24915

I'll check it out. I'm not a fan of boats, but I am of craftsmanship.

Last edited:
I enjoy Steve Guttenberg's "Audiophilliac", even though his tastes in music and in audio gear are, for the most part, 180 degrees out from mine. My favorite feature, by far, is the viewer systems. When he goes on and on about his favorite rock albums it gets a big yawn from me. But I do like his friend David Chesky's music, who was recently featured. He loves his horn speakers and flea powered tube amps. But you can't accuse him of a lack of enthusiasm or passion.
He shared a photo of my system on one of his episodes. Didn't use it as a piece for the video but did share a photo of it. Minute 26 of the below video.

AUDIOPHILIAC Viewers Have The BEST Systems!

I actually own his SME Model 15 Turntable he traded into SkyFi Audio.

Always nice to see real videography on a You Tube channel, instead of hand held phone video.

Markus is 61 now and has decades of experience. He does explain very clearly how audio is a huge part of video and if something doesn't sound good, people won't care how good it looks. And then he focuses on lighting because good lighting is both necessary for things to look right and allows less expensive equipment to create quality video.

Past that he frequently compares equipment across a vast price range as an example from maybe $100-$4000 and he seems to enjoy showing were something very high priced doesn't perform as well as something less expensive or that has a glaring fault.

He's also frequently showing how something is arguably better on a spec sheet, but doesn't matter in reality. For example he doesn't shoot RAW and instead relies on the fact that he can properly expose his shots, and doesn't use a 32bit audio recorder because he knows how to properly level his audio. He explains how many things are crutches to help people recover from doing things wrong, but are completely unnecessary when you have good technique.

That said, he uses a very expensive mic and audio recorder while shooting many of his videos with a pair of Sony RX100 mk VI cameras.

Back