Electromotion ESL vs. Several Others

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidbeinct

Reaction score
I am a former Acoustat 1+1 owner looking to get away from my box speakers (Signet 280). They are pretty nice but I really would like to get more openness and imaging.

I am considering, in addition to the Martin Logan Electromotion ESLs, the following:

Gallo Acoustics Strada 2 plus TR-1D sub;

Magnepan 1.7;

Ohm Walso 2000.

I realize that this is a ML owner's forum, so I expect people will lean that way, but any pluses or minuses of these other speakers would be nice to hear. I am able to audition all but the Ohm.

I've been very impressed by the Gallo spheres with sub at the RMAF.

Same for Emerald Physics. RUR (Ken's) new reference.

Merlin Audio, which can be a bit "bright" depending on set up and gear, is also a company I would consider.

The KEF Anniversary LS50's have received fabulous reviews (by the press and users on the WBF site) and purportedly performs well above its $1,500 asking price.

Then there's the Evolution Acoustics Micro MM1. Was $1,500 but I know that the price has been increased.

GG

PS: The last two will likely need subwoof support to get full range capabilities.

Last edited:
Martin Logan ESL speakers need special attention to handle all the sound they spray out the back. It can easily mess up "imaging".

He previously owned the Acoustat 1 + 1.

FYI, that is also an electrostatic with a similar design that produces sound on the "back" side of the speaker or, in your words, spray. Just like ML stats. I owned the 1 + 1's numerous years ago.

Based on this, I trust he is aware of the relevant issues regarding placement and maximizing performance, including imaging.

GG

Back