Electromotion ESL Questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymondo9

Reaction score
Hi

Joined here when I bought my Ascent's a long time ago but I've been so happy with them haven't visited ! So much great information on here .

Anyway to cut a long story short they were beginning to sound a little dull despite being in excellent condition for their age (have vacuumed them etc) . New panel cost is here is circa £2000 so i looked at other options as I can't justify several thousands at present. Ended up stumbling across of Electromotion ESL at a very good price as they had a damaged cabinet at the back sp took a punt on them .First things first they sound great - much smaller scale than my ascent but much more open mid and top

I have someone who can refinish the cabinet locally but I need to remove the panel first (and electronics) . Now I am a time served electronics engineer so I am not worried about any of this but can anyone tell me how the panel wiring is connected- I know its fed from the transformer and I can see goes through a hole in the cabinet to the panel. Is it soldered on the other side ? I just want to be sure I don't damage any delicate wiring on the back of the panel when removing it :)

I also have Rel Brittania B2 to augment the bass - was wondering if anyone has a similar setup and what crossover fq they use ?

One last thing is they have one of the rubber bungs missing from the spikes - I really want a replacement but it seems here in the UK you need to buy a full set of spikes :-( Does anyone know where I can get a replacement.

BTW I am driving them with a Hypex design (NC500) power amp , Anti Node Dual Core DSP, Sources are Michell Gyrodec/SME309/Art-9 /Rondo Bronze & Squeezebox Touch

Thanks all

:)

The wires from the panel to the crossover is screwed in so removing them is pretty simple. You can ask ML support to send you documentation on how to remove the panels. While you are at it I suggest you add some sound dampening in it. All the higher end models have some sound dampening material in them. I used NoRez for my speakers. For subwoofers, I have my Marantz set the crossover at 60hz for stereo and 80hz for home theatre. I wouldn't worry about the rubber feet, just put discs on the bottom of the spikes if you have hardwood.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean line the cabinet ? I noticed it only has some very cheap wadding in there - cost has to be cut somewhere I guess. I'll check out the NoRez stuff . I used some Delfex panels in an old SD acoustics speaker to great effect a few years ago - made the bass much cleaner.

Thanks again

Back