Election: Who's the winner and when will it be called

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently posted this to my facebook page because I'm afraid we are still only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Anger vs Disgust

I watched an interesting talk about the direction this country is heading.

In the discussion the topic of marriage counselling was brought up. When a couple is angry with each other, that has almost no impact on whether the relationship will last. When one or the other show signs of disgust with the other partner they will likely be divorced.

This show further went on to say that there is growing evidence people are starting to self segregate by political affiliation so that they don't meet many people of differing view points.

When you are in a mixed environment with people who have different views you come to know people as friends who you don't always agree with but you develop mutual respect and have at least some understanding of why they feel differently.

When you are surrounded by people who all believe the exact same things you tend to become less accepting of people with different beliefs and you develop prejudiced views against them.
We have seen a LOT of comments about a group being idiots or deplorables or libertards or pick your favorite insult to label a group of people who don't agree with you.

The cracks in our society are deepening into huge divides and if we don't find a way to find common ground we will all suffer because of it.

Neither the liberals or the conservatives have a perfect bead on reality. I would argue they both need a serious reality check. But for now they both need each other to flush out something "closer" to reality. We cannot devolve into having each side simply wining or losing because in the end we all end up losing. When we the people are only looking for the win, we are not looking at the best solution for the greatest number of people. We are being self centered and saying we simply don't care about anyone who disagrees with us.
We can NOT be disgusted with each other or all it lost.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-man-gets-beaten-up-by-chicago-group-yelling-dont-vote-trump/

Huge sections of Chicago need to be wiped off the map. Not one peep from our president Obama, the Clinton's or any other liberal supporter of any stature against this violent attack...

This is just horrific...

btw, it's not just Chicago, it's just about every major city in the US, why bother trying to fix things for people that don't show any initiative in changing, they don't want jobs, they don't want a better life...they more more free $hit, times up for the no good gang banger's, the fund sucking losers and just plain lazies!!

Typed from my 'safe space', scrum if that was a threat against me, I hope the mods deal with you accordingly, if not please explain your humor, thx, Craig

Typed from my 'safe space', scrum if that was a threat against me, I hope the mods deal with you accordingly, if not please explain your humor, thx, Craig

Safe Space Definition: A Safe Space is a place where anyone can relax and be able to fully express, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, religious affiliation, age, or physical or mental ability. A place where the rules guard each person’s self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.

I don't think it was a threat of any kind, Stuwee. More of a comment on your over-the-top rhetoric and references to political correctness. Seriously, though, saying people should get out of the country, swaths of cities should be wiped off the map, etc., is not really conducive to a productive conversation.

I recently posted this to my facebook page because I'm afraid we are still only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Anger vs Disgust

I watched an interesting talk about the direction this country is heading.

Good take Mark, I agree.

When you are in a mixed environment with people who have different views you come to know people as friends who you don't always agree with but you develop mutual respect and have at least some understanding of why they feel differently.

When you are surrounded by people who all believe the exact same things you tend to become less accepting of people with different beliefs and you develop prejudiced views against them.
We have seen a LOT of comments about a group being idiots or deplorables or libertards or pick your favorite insult to label a group of people who don't agree with you.

I think we have always been almost as divided in term of political differences. What has been lost is civility, and I think a lot of the blame for that is due to electronic media. Isn't much easier for me to sit here and call Mark a bunch of names than it would be if we were to meet at a function and discussing our views face to face? I think once people get heated and upset on the computer, it then carries over to some of their in person encounters as well. I think a lot of these protests you see going on in the streets would not have occurred in the same numbers prior to electronic media. Not that protest didn't occur prior to the computer, but it wasn't nearly as easy or quick to be able get the word out that a protest was going to take place.

I think we have always been almost as divided in term of political differences. What has been lost is civility, and I think a lot of the blame for that is due to electronic media. Isn't much easier for me to sit here and call Mark a bunch of names than it would be if we were to meet at a function and discussing our views face to face? I think once people get heated and upset on the computer, it then carries over to some of their in person encounters as well. I think a lot of these protests you see going on in the streets would not have occurred in the same numbers prior to electronic media. Not that protest didn't occur prior to the computer, but it wasn't nearly as easy or quick to be able get the word out that a protest was going to take place.

I agree about the Internet being a large force in distilling the anger in people.

How many times did we see the following on the Internet ?

< repeat >
Poster A: This is my viewpoint and this link shows why I am right and you are wrong.
Poster B: This is my opposing viewpoint and this link shows why I am right and you are wrong.

Poster A: This is my viewpoint and a link that shows how your candidate is a complete (fill in the blank)
Poster B: This is my opposing viewpoint and a link that shows how your candidate is a complete (fill in the blank)

Poster A: This is my viewpoint you are a complete (fill in the blank)
Poster B: This is my opposing viewpoint and you are a complete (fill in the blank)
</ repeat >

How many times did we see people shut down and completely ignore everything someone else said and immediately just to find a link or make a statement to refute them without asking them why they felt so strongly about something?

It doesn't take long before it goes from issues, to demonizing candidates to demonizing each other.

I hope we see more of this!

15039648_618079635045346_6669635809468320797_o.jpg

Looking at the direction this thread is going, it likely mirrors what is going on in the rest of the country.

My problem, along with many others I suspect, is that you cannot unring the bell, the bell being all of the hateful, divisive rhetoric that DT knowingly and intentionally said to win the election. And I have no idea how one "fixes" that.

Reminds me of a Roger Waters line.

And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

What I personally know is that I cannot sustain all the discordant emotions that I have been feeling for the last two days. That is my challenge and, I suspect, the challenge that many others face.

Gordon

http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-man-gets-beaten-up-by-chicago-group-yelling-dont-vote-trump/

Huge sections of Chicago need to be wiped off the map. Not one peep from our president Obama, the Clinton's or any other liberal supporter of any stature against this violent attack...

This is just horrific...

btw, it's not just Chicago, it's just about every major city in the US, why bother trying to fix things for people that don't show any initiative in changing, they don't want jobs, they don't want a better life...they more more free $hit, times up for the no good gang banger's, the fund sucking losers and just plain lazies!!

Sigh

I was making a joke at the expense of your rather absurd political correctness comment.

safe-spaces are those places set up, for example, at universities - Rich defined them quite nicely in his comment.

Last edited:
So, now that the results are in what's next for the 'Clinton Foundation' , will the millions keep pouring in from foreign countries ?

However mean, nasty, cruel DT was during the past, I hope and pray that he surrounds himself with strong leadership to make the right choices for our country that lie ahead. Granted there will be a lot of bickering to follow but I will try to remain optimistic !

In canvasing my circle of friends, comprised mostly of small business men and women the feeling is positive .............we shall see.

So, now that the results are in what's next for the 'Clinton Foundation' , will the millions keep pouring in from foreign countries ?

Dave,

Why on earth would anyone give to an organization, that despite its flaws, has done some amazing work around the world?

And then was attacked and discredited for doing so.

This will be one of many victims of this election.

And we'll see if the deep "hatred" for this flawed but well intentioned organization continues in the future. And assuming it does, it merely reinforces the current negative, toxic feelings apparently held by many republicans.

As I said before, let the "witch hunt" begin.

This is merely one example DT supporters are going to have to reconcile in the future.

Actions clearly have consequences.

Gordon

Looking at the direction this thread is going, it likely mirrors what is going on in the rest of the country.

My problem, along with many others I suspect, is that you cannot unring the bell, the bell being all of the hateful, divisive rhetoric that DT knowingly and intentionally said to win the election. And I have no idea how one "fixes" that.

Reminds me of a Roger Waters line.

And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

What I personally know is that I cannot sustain all the discordant emotions that I have been feeling for the last two days. That is my challenge and, I suspect, the challenge that many others face.

Gordon

I know when Hillary called me a racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic, irredeemable deplorable.... it helped me to have a couple of beers along with a good smoke. But if that doesn't work for you, perhaps you can join some of the democrats on the street and throw a brick through a window or two, light the American flag on fire, and find a Trump supporter to beat up.

Kevin,

Very predictable response. Problem is you and others can no longer use HRC as the whipping post. DT supporters need to accept the fact that they can no longer live in the past and have to move on.

Obviously, you are one who wants the hatred and divisiveness to continue.

And for you to accuse me that I would resort to violent actions as a result of this election is frankly disgusting. Very DT like reaction on your part making accusations with no basis in fact.

Please get over your anger and fears and start acting in a responsible, productive manner and accept responsibility for your choice and the implications thereof.

As I said before, anger is a very unhealthy, destructive emotion.

Gordon

Ha- I have unhealthy emotions? You're the one who said you can't "sustain all the discordant emotions". I assure you, my emotions are just fine, and I would have been just as good with a Hillary win as well. I didn't accuse you at all of doing that stuff. I was only suggesting a way for you to release those emotions that you say yourself and the others are now so challenged to face. That is the way some of the democrats appear to be releasing theirs over the last several nights. Who knows, perhaps the DNC will pay you to do it like they were paying off people to entice Trump supporters.

If you think I have anger and fears, you do not know me at all.

Seems to me as Kevin pointed out - how ironic it is that the ones doing the hate accusing are out doing what Kevin has suggested. I don't see you as a brick thrower Gordon. :). However - there were actual issues that people cared about 77% of Wyoming saw it trumps way. (Sorry Gordon. Haha). But back to the issues. We are all from different places. I can tell you Trumps very strong stance on trade and out sourcing won him the rust belt. Hillays statement on coal I am sure hurt her dearly in Pennsylvania. Even with democrats associated to unions that would normally endorse and whose union heads did endorse Hillary. Someone in California or Wyoming may not relate to that. I certainly do. And I remember a lot of failed promises of presidents past. Post election - his staff is still talking about it as opposed to it being a nice sound byte for a debate.

Who knows, perhaps the DNC will pay you to do it like they were paying off people to entice Trump supporters.

Another unfounded, totally false accusation with no basis in truth.

Any more innuendo / rumors you would like to accuse me of.

Another predictable, robotic response. You are very well trained.

Kevin, try to be a person who is willing to apologize for your untrue accusations.

However - there were actual issues that people cared about 77% of Wyoming saw it trumps way. .

timm, actually it was 70% from what I saw. Wyoming is the reddest of the red states.

Teton County (where I live) is the only County I believe that voted for HRC.

And thank you for apologizing for Kevin's personal insults. Too bad he won't do the same. Anger, anger, anger.

Gordon

Back