Election: Who's the winner and when will it be called

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very pleased that there will be no more free loading losers sucking from the gov teat!

You have some very high hopes.

The GOP is already backpedaling on Obamacare. They don't have anything "Great" to replace it with like Trump promised and they are now saying it is very complex and will take a while to dismantle.

Reality is getting ready to kick in and the fact that Trump is effectively powerless to do much will become apparent.

The GOP is already backpedaling on Obamacare. They don't have anything "Great" to replace it with like Trump promised and they are now saying it is very complex and will take a while to dismantle.

Mark,

Don't know if you are aware but our Wyoming Senator, John Barrasso, who happens to be a doctor, is rumored to be the GOP guy who is preparing an alt to the ACA.

He's always standing behind Mitchey when MM appears in the corridors to make announcements, etc.

Gordon

Mark,

Don't know if you are aware but our Wyoming Senator, John Barrasso, who happens to be a doctor, is rumored to be the GOP guy who is preparing an alt to the ACA.

He's always standing behind Mitchey when MM appears in the corridors to make announcements, etc.

Gordon

I hope you are right. There is a LOT of room to improve on the ACA, but I realize that they have to officially "repeal" it for political purposes rather than beat it into shape.

What I saw on Trump's website about it seems to fly in the face of what is possible. I've worked with the medical vertical from the Hospital and doctor office administration, electronic billing and working with Insurance companies, as well as the initial certification and re certification process doctors go through.

Suggesting that you could have national rates when local procedures are all over the map, costs are hidden from patients, Provider networks fix prices, and malpractice insurance varies widely depending on how the courts tend to rule in a state seems like a very difficult goal.

My brother inlaw opted out of being a neurosurgeon partly because of the $300,000 / year malpractice insurance. He has 3 residencies and ended up in nuclear medicine doing research at a university. Our healthcare system has extremely well funded lobbiests in DC that fight tooth and nail. In addition the lawyer's lobbiests will fight tort reform with everything they've got too.

Even if a good plan were presented and I would love to see that happen, then there would be infighting that included GOP Senators and Congressmen because of where their loyalties really are.

Since my predictions in this thread went so well, :rolleyes: let's make a few more for funsies.

1. There will be no wall built between us and Mexico.
2. There will be no mass deportations.
3. There will be no major changes in immigration patterns.
4. There will be nothing done to change any previous free trade agreements like NAFTA.
5. There will be no middle class tax breaks of significance (although corporations may get a big tax break).
6. The ACA will be repealed and replaced with something just as ineffective. The average person's health care and insurance costs will continue to skyrocket.
7. Hillary Clinton will not be prosecuted for anything.
8. Abortion will remain a Constitutionally protected right.
9. Term limits will not be passed and no restrictions will be placed on lobbying by former congressmen.
10. Republicans will express shock and outrage when democrats in the Senate filibuster their initiatives and Supreme Court nominations, with no memory of their own behavior over the last eight years.

In short, Trump will not make good on any of his campaign promises and congressional dysfunction will continue.

Republicans will express shock and outrage when democrats in the Senate filibuster their initiatives and Supreme Court nominations, with no memory of their own behavior over the last eight years.

Will the democrats express shock and outrage when the republicans use a procedure to get around filibusters, with no memory of their own use of the nuclear option? I said at the time that for short term gains, the democrats may regret it in the long run. Just never knew it might come into use so soon.

I just asked someone if they thought Trump would get a second term. His answer surprised me.

He said I give Trump 50:50 odds of living that long. He is 70 years old with highly irregular hours and cares way too much what people think of him. Now his whole family will be scrutinized and frequent skeletons will be found and his children's lives will be wrecked. He said that he thought Trump is a high risk candidate for a stress attack.

Personally I think Trump cares what people thinks of him and is a vindictive guy, but I also think he handles stress well enough that this won't be an issue for him.

I just asked someone if they thought Trump would get a second term.

I personally don't think he'll want a second term. He's already satisfied his ego and made his mark in history by winning the election. Next he'll find out just how difficult and unrewarding of a job it is. And I think he's probably got a pretty short attention span. I'm guessing he won't even run for a second term.

Since my predictions in this thread went so well, :rolleyes: let's make a few more for funsies.

4. There will be nothing done to change any previous free trade agreements like NAFTA.
5. There will be no middle class tax breaks of significance (although corporations may get a big tax break).
6. The ACA will be repealed and replaced with something just as ineffective. The average person's health care and insurance costs will continue to skyrocket.
7. Hillary Clinton will not be prosecuted for anything.
8. Abortion will remain a Constitutionally protected right.
9. Term limits will not be passed and no restrictions will be placed on lobbying by former congressmen.
10. Republicans will express shock and outrage when democrats in the Senate filibuster their initiatives and Supreme Court nominations, with no memory of their own behavior over the last eight years.

In short, Trump will not make good on any of his campaign promises and congressional dysfunction will continue.
Rich, are you also saying he will not make good on tax cuts for the very rich, or the abolition of the estate tax if you leave behind more than $5.5M? He has a personal interest in both.

Rich, are you also saying he will not make good on tax cuts for the very rich, or the abolition of the estate tax if you leave behind more than $5.5M? He has a personal interest in both.

No, I'm not saying that at all. I don't recall him saying he would do that. But I won't be surprised if he tries.

Outstanding post. Probably more than 50℅ correct!:). Maybe.

Alternatively, he's a lot more Adolf than people have given him credit for. Possibly.

He should be interesting though I think. More so than yer av. main man.

Last edited:
This is interesting.... we have pretty much missed the mark on everything in regards to this election.... Trump spent no money - and won.... Maybe that is a good sign for our government... He ran his election like a business and won.... go figure.... Comments regarding ObamaCare.....and the ability for the next phase to fix it..... Well, if you don't think the next guys can fix it - and you were FOR it..... maybe you should re-think that stance.... Maybe, healthcare is not something the government can handle efficiently....I am surprised that now people think it isn't working.... and yet I have heard people here tout how it is working..... The Democratic party says it isn't working - and 'Hillary can fix it'..... I'm just glad I don't have to use it.... but since its adoption my deductibles have sky-rocketed probably 3-400%..... I am paying way more thru my company plan etc.... Just a happy coincidence I guess that this started right after it was implemented..

As far as obstructionism is concerned - and if the thought is the Dems will do their best now to obstruct - and that's 'OK'.... well maybe this is why Trump is president today.... Nobody wants this crap. and it is typical establishment politics... But, if something is a bad idea, I say obstruct away - or you aren't representing your constituents..... Obstruction of a 'bad idea' is a good thing I think.

Trump will be successful or not depending on who surrounds him. What is hopefully refreshing is that maybe we get out of this politics as usual that everyone has been complaining about for the last 20-30 years. I guess we will see ... I'm not holding my breath as that is a big machine.....

Outstanding post. Probably more than 50℅ correct!:). Maybe.

Alternatively, he's a lot more Adolf than people have given him credit for. Possibly.

He should be interesting though I think. More so than yer av. main man.

I used to see these signs with Obama with a Hitler mustache..... I never got it..... I guess everybody is Hitler now.....

I personally don't think he'll want a second term. He's already satisfied his ego and made his mark in history by winning the election. Next he'll find out just how difficult and unrewarding of a job it is. And I think he's probably got a pretty short attention span. I'm guessing he won't even run for a second term.

I think you are right my friend. He is a "total control" kinda guy and will likely find out how difficult (and potentially unsuccessful) that approach will be given the current environment in DC.

And I fully agree with Timm that his success will be very dependent on the choices he makes for his personal staff and cabinet positions. I sincerely hope we don't have a GWB repeat with folks like Cheney and Rumsfeld controlling the "inner circle" conversation and influencing policy.

PS: One of my great fears is what he's going to do with the EPA and his attitude that climate change is a hoax.

Last edited:
Re trump single term. Ummmm. This is the kind of guy that thinks 'Legacy'. As far as handling pressure and the job etc... I mean you may not like the guy but I would say his job pressures for his companies and difficult decisions / politics that come with all that?? I think you are underestimating him. I mean wasn't Obama a 1 term senator ? Given their respective resumes prior to becoming president - I would say the dons is way more battle tested. If you think the guy has a big ego (all say yes) how could you not think a two term presidency wouldn't be something he would want for his legacy. I think he would say one term presidents are 'losers' Lol.

Re trump single term. Ummmm. This is the kind of guy that thinks 'Legacy'. As far as handling pressure and the job etc... I mean you may not like the guy but I would say his job pressures for his companies and difficult decisions / politics that come with all that?? I think you are underestimating him. I mean wasn't Obama a 1 term senator ? Given their respective resumes prior to becoming president - I would say the dons is way more battle tested. If you think the guy has a big ego (all say yes) how could you not think a two term presidency wouldn't be something he would want for his legacy. I think he would say one term presidents are 'losers' Lol.

I think you misunderstand. I'm not saying he couldn't handle the pressure. I'm saying he is used to being in control, giving orders and having them carried out, bullying others to get his way, not having his decisions questioned and criticized at every turn, etc. He is used to being a manager and CEO -- in complete control of an organization, not a diplomat/figurehead/co-leader. I think he will grow bored and disillusioned by the actual job when he realizes how little control he really has over the system.

And remember, he is 70 years old and eight years is a long time. If he runs again and loses, he looks bad (think Carter or GB1). But if he does one term and doesn't run for another, he goes out on his own terms without ever having lost an election.

And remember, he is 70 years old and eight years is a long time. If he runs again and loses, he looks bad (think Carter or GB1). But if he does one term and doesn't run for another, he goes out on his own terms without ever having lost an election.

I see your point here. You are right if he loses his legacy gets trashed. Haha

Between his thin skin, limited ability to "make things happen as the boss", long hours, excess weight, advanced age and with a little luck maybe he'll drop in a year or two. Of course, then we have whacko righty Pence.

Hey Rich , care to fact check this BS?

Calling Trump a racist is racist! I'm sick of everyone saying the white male is in charge...using the word 'male' makes these remarks sexist as well, sickening. If you're going to call out PC bull crap...be PC for cryin' out loud!!

I think you really need a safe-space stuwee

Last edited:
Back