Difference between setting fronts to small or large?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamba24

Reaction score
What is the difference between setting my front speakers to small or large (Ethos) in my processor? What if I changed all my speakers to small in my processor? Ethos, stage x and four Motion 15's? Currently, they are all set to large. I've read in a lot of forums that people set all there speakers to small? Is that recommended? Any advice or input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If you have a a sub, then you should set your ethos to small. Xover at 60 Hz or 80 hz would work well. Same for your surrounds. None of your speakers go to very low frequencies . A sub is deigned to do so. This is true for stereo as well as movies .

If you do not have a sub you should get one. There is a lot of low frequency information in the .1 of 5.1 and 7.1 movies.

J

If you have a a sub, then you should set your ethos to small. Xover at 60 Hz or 80 hz would work well. Same for your surrounds. None of your speakers go to very low frequencies . A sub is deigned to do so. This is true for stereo as well as movies .

If you do not have a sub you should get one. There is a lot of low frequency information in the .1 of 5.1 and 7.1 movies.

J

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do have a sub. I have a descent i. So I should set my ethos to small at 60 HZ and the same for the rears? What about my center? It's a Stage X? What should the sub be set at? I'm new to all of this stuff. I believe my fronts drop to 34hz, my center drops to 69hz and my rears drop to 60hz.

Last edited:
What is your pre/pro or receiver. There might be a calibration that would set this automatically for you.

A good first setting is 80hz around.

I have a Marantz 8801 pre pro. In my room with its Audyssey XT 32 calibration, I have 40 hz for my Montis, (note that the Montis goes far lower than the Ethos), 120 hz for my Stage X, and 60 for the rest .

Without tools to measure , I would set all xovers at 80 hz and work from there,

How are you setting the levels for each speaker?

J

Hola. As an example, if you are using Motion series speakers, let's say Motion 4, the setting should be at small. The receiver has a built in crossover where you can change the frequency cut, and it will make that these speakers with not receive any low frequency info. If you are using Ethos, these speakers can handle very low frequency info, so, you can set them in the large set up. When choosing the frequency cut, depending of the frequency response of the speaker, you have to adjust it. In the Motion 4, you can cut at 80Hz, with the Ethos you can use full range set up. The low frequency info will be send to L&R along with the sub. THX setting recommend you 80Hz for the sub. Happy listening.

Back