Dark Side of the Moon Bass issues

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps not compared with modern recordings, multi-track digital editing and all that, but this album was done in 1972, using analog multi-track tape and "new" synthesizer technology. These were analog synthesizers and sequencers: knobs, patch panels, and tape loops.

To give you an idea of what they were up against, try this statement from Wikipedia:
... The sonic experimentation on the album required every member of the band to operate the faders simultaneously in order to mix down the intricately assembled multitrack recordings of several of the songs (particularly "On the Run").

The brighter (whiter) the image, the more energy is present.

OK, I did the plot very late last night. I'll check it out again later today, but it couldn't be that the true representation is the other way round i.e. the darker, the more energy? Certainly makes more sense that way, but it doesn't bode well for CLX low bass output! We know it isn't full range, but that seems quite a high cutoff point.

Be careful with this data - don't take it too seriously until I know what I am doing / can get some more confidence in it.

BTW: I think DSOTM is a fantastic recording. Even now. My SACD sounds superb. My non-original Harvest pressings are tired and worn and not in good condition. Let's not forget this is an analogue recording that's 30 years old when the SACD was created. Given that the SACD sounds amazing, and it can only be a deterioration of the original master 30 yr old tapes, just imagine how amazing the original tapes must sound or how good they were 30 years ago. Analogue rules. Respect your forefathers:)!

So the recording has a few warts. So what? I'm just looking at this because I am curious...

If anyone knows of a good TFFT package that is free, or 30 day shareware, let me know.

Last edited:
BTW: I think DSOTM is a fantastic recording. Even now. My SACD sounds superb. My non-original Harvest pressings are tired and worn and not in good condition. Let's not forget this is an analogue recording that's 30 years old when the SACD was created. Given that the SACD sounds amazing, and it can only be a deterioration of the original master 30 yr old tapes, just imagine how amazing the original tapes must sound or how good they were 30 years ago.
IMO, DSOTM is great music, but to me the sonic quality is just ok on SACD. Sure we can say it is a 30+ year old recording, but I have other SACD/CD's which were recorded earlier than DSOTM and have better sound to them. One good example of this is Mulligan/Webster on MoFi

Yeah I wonder what the original sounded like back in the day too.

Imagine hearing it live at the Hollywood Bowl back in 1972.:D
Animals live - Cleveland '77 - inflatable animals, planes, loss of brain cells, etc. :music:

"It was the biggest concert ever, and now it's happening again.

In June 1977, Pink Floyd drew more than 83,000 fans to Municipal Stadium, setting a world attendance record for a one-act show at the time.

On Saturday, July 16,???? Cleveland-based Floyd-tribute act Wish You Were Here will reenact that concert at Scene Pavilion, complete with a giant inflatable pig."

http://www.floydtribute.com/

OK, I did the plot very late last night. I'll check it out again later today, but it couldn't be that the true representation is the other way round i.e. the darker, the more energy?

Nope, it couldn't. By keeping it simple, everything looks cool. Four plots are attached below.

1) Me playing the acoustic, 0Hz to 44.1Khz/2. Same again 0Hz to 4KHz. Dead easy to see each chord strike, and there's not much below 60Hz. That's what I would expect, and is confirmed by using the mouse pointer in the actuall application. Recorded using the Roland Edirol used for the CLX recording.

2) NIN's The Becoming from And All That Could Have Been disk 2, the piano intro, which ends, followed by synth. drums only. Again, exactly what I'd expect.

So what is all the low frequency output at the show? Probably background noise from other rooms, the other MLs in the room acting as passive subs, foot-tapping etc.

Worth recording the PF next...

Attachments

• guitarall.jpg
    guitarall.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 256
  • guitarlow.jpg
    guitarlow.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 156
  • becomingall.jpg
    becomingall.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 160
  • becominglow.jpg
    becominglow.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 159
Listening again around 2:40 on Money. Slow build up of LF bass up to then which disappears around 2:42-3 as the sax solo comes in.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this stuff was added deliberately for euphonic reasons. But it seems to random for that. However, in this instance it seems literally conspired.

Interesting.

Listening again around 2:40 on Money. Slow build up of LF bass up to then which disappears around 2:42-3 as the sax solo comes in.

I'm beginning to wonder whether this stuff was added deliberately for euphonic reasons. But it seems to random for that. However, in this instance it seems literally conspired.

Interesting.

Er... that would be guitar, not sax! Again this sounds like a low frequency rumble but it really is quite prevalent - makes my bass panels go a bit nuts.

To be honest, it cuts out at an inappropriate time for it to be deliberate - or at least it sounds that way to me.

Yes it is deliberate Justin. My brother worked back in the day for ShowCo and he said that some of the concert setups for Pink Floyd included some kind of super low frequency stuff that they actually traveled with and setup and tore down after each concert.

I was listening to DSOTM in SACD 5.1 and the Gotham produces these super low frequencies to the point that it is scarey and literally shakes the house foundation. Windows upstairs are rattling including stuff on the glass coffee table. Remarkable, and a very cool expereince all in one.:eek:

Back