Concerns about buying 2nd hand?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhpm510

Reaction score
Looking at some Spires that are on the local market via A'gon. How do I know they they are okay? I've not listened to them yet as the seller is 80 miles away and there are no reserve dealers around to get a quick listen.

Serial number is not in the serial decoder, but that could be due to it being a newer model, I guess?

They are about half of the new price.
Concerns? Secret ML hand shake stuff to look for?

Best,
PM

The seller is only 80 miles away? Seems like an ideal situation - go listen to them.

I agree with Bernard... no better way to determine condition than to make the trip.

They do seem like a good value (the ones in Miami, right?) at $4K... and the seller has rated them 9/10... and another important data point -> the seller (Redfuel) has all positive feedback. Many of his transactions are components that he has sold to (apparently) happy buyers.

If it were me, I'd contact him asap and ask him to pls hold them while I gas up the truck/van/limo and plug his coordinates into my Garmin Nuvi.

Good luck!

p.s. FWIW, I've bought and sold a large number of items via audiogon and have had very little trouble over the years. That's not to say there isn't the potential for heartache, but the vast majority of transactions there seem to be on the up-and-up.

Last edited:
Make sure you have a listen. The most important thing in used Logans is the panel output. Ask yourself if the channel balance between the speakers is good and even. If not, question the speaker positioning and room first. Is one panel close to a wall and the other in free space?

Once room/positioning is sorted if it was an issue, ask yourself the same question. If the answer is no, don't buy them.

80 miles though? Front door step, really...

Make sure you have a listen. The most important thing in used Logans is the panel output. Ask yourself if the channel balance between the speakers is good and even. If not, question the speaker positioning and room first. Is one panel close to a wall and the other in free space?

Once room/positioning is sorted if it was an issue, ask yourself the same question. If the answer is no, don't buy them.

80 miles though? Front door step, really...

Justin -- I have a situation similar to this.... I have 1 speaker that is 5 ft from the front wall -- and the other pretty much sits in free space... (i.e. the front wall is only about 11 ft wide and the room is about 20 ft wide - The speaker in free space probably is at about the 12 ft marker...)... What should I expect from a perceived volume perspective from the different panels. I have absorption on the front wall for added info..... (seems like the one in free space is not as loud - or so it seems..... :) ) It doesn't really seem to throw off the image... Just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks for the reasoned advice and panel input (that's exactly what I was looking for)

I guess no one else sweats the warranty, or lack of transferability of it?

Justin -- I have a situation similar to this.... I have 1 speaker that is 5 ft from the front wall -- and the other pretty much sits in free space... (i.e. the front wall is only about 11 ft wide and the room is about 20 ft wide - The speaker in free space probably is at about the 12 ft marker...)... What should I expect from a perceived volume perspective from the different panels. I have absorption on the front wall for added info..... (seems like the one in free space is not as loud - or so it seems..... :) ) It doesn't really seem to throw off the image... Just wondering if this is normal?

If one seems louder than the other, it is in effect the same as using the balance control - which should push the image to the left or right.

If your happy with the sound, just don't worry about it.;)

Back