Cinema mounting

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Just picked up a Cinema, courtesy of Pcar928fan (thanks!). I plan to mount it in the media room in the new house I am building. My plan was to mount the Cinema high up on the front wall, above my screen. However, I'm wondering if I would be better off mounting it from the ceiling, and bringing it forward from the back wall a bit. I know having space behind the RL speakers dramatically improves the sound. Does the same thing hold true for the center channel?

Sheetrock is not yet up, so I have a lot of flexibility right now (well, until next weekend!). Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve

A few more details, I'll have a 100" screen on the front wall. The ceiling is 9' at the wall, then pops up to 10' a couple feet from the wall.

However, I'm wondering if I would be better off mounting it from the ceiling, and bringing it forward from the back wall a bit. I know having space behind the RL speakers dramatically improves the sound. Does the same thing hold true for the center channel.

Steve, it was GREAT to meet you today and I am so glad my Cinema (now yours I guess!) has found a great home.

We talked briefly about my plans and I think bringing the speaker forward mounted to the ceiling would be better.

I hope to put my theater in the same "plane" as the Prodigy when I get to the point of building my own home theater too.

All the best and keep me posted!

For best sound the center channel should be the exact same distance from the sweet spot as the right and left speakers. IMO this is most important if you will use the system for multichannel music though for video it is still the best option though harder to implement, damned screens!

Well, the screen will likely be fairly high, so I could always mount the Cinema mid-wall, putting it in the same plane as my Clarity's. Of course, it is then closer to little hands, something I am hoping to avoid.

BTW, James, I hooked it up and plopped down on the couch with my daughter to watch Star Wars III...awesome! Beats the heck out of any other center or the phantom center I had been using.

Well, the screen will likely be fairly high, so I could always mount the Cinema mid-wall, putting it in the same plane as my Clarity's. Of course, it is then closer to little hands, something I am hoping to avoid.

BTW, James, I hooked it up and plopped down on the couch with my daughter to watch Star Wars III...awesome! Beats the heck out of any other center or the phantom center I had been using.

Sonically that will be best. Re: little hands, that shouldn't be a problem, does she play with your Clarity's? Just keep paper clips away from her hands:D

I'm debating the same thing... below or above the screen... I don't think I'm going on the ceiling though...

That is what I love to hear! Glad you are happy! Shoot me your snail mail address and I'll put the owners manual in the mail to you on Monday. I didn't notice it sitting on the desk behind the speaker till I came back in to the room to fold up the speaker cover.

LOVE SW EIII! I guess that EII demo got you going huh?! :haha1:

Just picked up a Cinema, courtesy of Pcar928fan (thanks!). I plan to mount it in the media room in the new house I am building. My plan was to mount the Cinema high up on the front wall, above my screen. However, I'm wondering if I would be better off mounting it from the ceiling, and bringing it forward from the back wall a bit. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Steve

Steve,
I played around extensivley with the placement of my speakers before actually starting my HT room. I prefer the sound of the center channel when mounted above the screen. But don't make the same mistake I did by mounting it to the wall. If your going high mount from the ceiling and bring it out from the wall. Sometimes the voices coming from the center channel can sound hollow,although I suspect this could be from the reflections being bounced behind my projection LCD TV, you may not have that problem with a screen. If I had to do over again I would mount from the ceiling. Unfortunatly moving it to a ceiling mount is not an option for me since I installed can lights above my system almost exactly where I would need to mount the center to the ceiling.

I thought I had thought of everything and took my time not only picking out my equipment but the placement of speakers,electrical outlets, and lighting. I still didn't get it all right. If mounting rears and center permantly my advice would be to experiment extensivly before choosing placement.

Good luck,sounds like your going to have a great room.:cheers:

Steve,
I played around extensivley with the placement of my speakers before actually starting my HT room. I prefer the sound of the center channel when mounted above the screen. But don't make the same mistake I did by mounting it to the wall. If your going high mount from the ceiling and bring it out from the wall. Sometimes the voices coming from the center channel can sound hollow,although I suspect this could be from the reflections being bounced behind my projection LCD TV, you may not have that problem with a screen. If I had to do over again I would mount from the ceiling. :

theWB, any advice on how to try the set up before screwing it into the ceiling? I'd hate to go through the work and find out it doesn't work from some crazy room config issue.

theWB, any advice on how to try the set up before screwing it into the ceiling? I'd hate to go through the work and find out it doesn't work from some crazy room config issue.
Scott,
I listened to the center channel in the showroom both high and low,and prefered it up high and orderd the stand for the tv with this in mind.

I experimented with the scripts using simple temporary stands made out of 2x4's before deciding on the height and upside down mount.After getting the pit group in the room I moved the Scripts down if I remember correctly another 6 inches.

Thx theWB... I'm leaning toward ceiling... my front wall has a 45 degree angle the last 18 inches or so... So to get it on the ceiling I have to go that far in anyway... hmm... back in the attic I go :D

Thanks for the tips. I am going to try mounting off the ceiling first, mostly because it is the most aestheticly pleasing option. I may have to drop it down a bit, as the ceiling is 9' at the screen. If that doesn't work, I always have the option of going back to the wall, either above or below the screen.

Risabet...good point about the little hands. I currently have everything setup in our livingroom. My daughter pretty much ignored everything until very recently, but she is starting to get curious. It will be really nice to finally put this stuff in a dedicated room, where I can close the door and keep her and her friends safely at bay! Just a couple months to go...

Back