Cardas Signature RCA caps

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Has anyone tried these puppies?

A friend gave me six of them to try. I placed them over the unused inputs on my CJ preamp. Had a "non-audiophile" friend listening to the before and after as a reality check.

Do they work and are they audible? Absolutely.

I gather the purpose is to block airborn RFI / EMI from getting into the preamp through the unused RCA inputs. Who woulda thunk this is an issue.

Well, my ears tell me it's (was) there.

Less noise, improved detail / imaging, and a more engaging, natural musical presentation.

One curious side effect was that they seem to "slightly" attenuate the volume level. Don't know why but easy to fix. One notch up on the volume (0.7db increase) took care of it.

Like many of you, I'm very skeptical of these type "voodo" products. I never expected to hear anything. However, my friend heard exactly what I described above.

Set of 12 costs $58 through Audio Advisor. Purchased so I can cover the other eight unused inputs on my CJ. AA offers a 30 day money back if you audition and hear no improvement.

For the price and the benefits, highly recommended.

GG

Last edited:
I'm still a bit dubious about the Cardas caps. However, I *HAVE* been searching for inexpensive PLASTIC caps to cover unused RCA connections, not so much as an RF filter, but rather to prevent inadvertant shorting/misconnection when changing cables/components. Anybody know of a source?

I'm still a bit dubious about the Cardas caps. However, I *HAVE* been searching for inexpensive PLASTIC caps to cover unused RCA connections, not so much as an RF filter, but rather to prevent inadvertant shorting/misconnection when changing cables/components. Anybody know of a source?
In my experience, the best solution, if you're going to go to the *trouble, is to make or buy shorted RCA male connectors and plug them into all the unused inputs. That will ground any RFI and silence that input as you rotate the selector knob.

* Many modern preamps, particularly ones with digital (as opposed to mechanical) source selection, automatically bypass unused inputs, so none of these tweaks are necessary anyway:rolleyes:

In my experience, the best solution, if you're going to go to the *trouble, is to make or buy shorted RCA male connectors and plug them into all the unused inputs. That will ground any RFI and silence that input as you rotate the selector knob.
My thoughts exactly. I don't doubt that GG hears what he does, but how do those caps provide a ground path for the EMI/RFI?

Just found a couple sources for vinyl RCA caps on eBay, all under $0.50 ea. There are also auctions for Cardas caps, and some BRASS caps with removeable shorting pins, if anybody is interested. Just search "RCA caps."

Gordon, I have used these Cardas Caps for quite a few years now on all of my empty RCA and XLR inputs and outputs. I totally agree with you that they really do work.

Back