Bluray vs 1080p upconvert

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think you'd be running HDMI from the receiver to the TV already. The audio (probably) won't pass through the receiver.

I'm guessing he's using HDMI for both video and audio from the PS3 to the receiver, but not necessarily from the receiver to the TV, and that's the question.

So if I've got this right... If you're using the TV's built in speakers, then it's perfectly fine to run the audio directly from the PS3 to the TV. If you're using external speakers, you'll want to run it through the receiver.

So now another question is posed after reading all this, I currently have the ps3 routed via hdmi through my denon avr3808 and then output of that to the monitor.
Would I be better off doing as mentioned and taking the hdmi straight to the TV and then using an output for audio to reciever by itself?

If you sent the HDMI audio and video threw the receiver, the receiver will strip the audio for playback and pass the video threw to the display. If you were to run the HDMI directly to the TV you would have to use the fiber optic out on the PS3 to the receiver and you won't be able to listen to the new audio formats in there full glory.

Pioneers new flagship Blu-Ray player the BDP-09FD will have duel HDMI ports that will allow you to output video on one cable to go directly to your TV and audio on the other HDMI cable to go directly to your receiver. This would be your best option if you wanted to do this.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=1700

Or get a new Blu-Ray player with pre-amp outs and run the HDMI cable directly to your TV and the pre-amp out on the BD player to your receiver.

So now another question is posed after reading all this, I currently have the ps3 routed via hdmi through my denon avr3808 and then output of that to the monitor.
Would I be better off doing as mentioned and taking the hdmi straight to the TV and then using an output for audio to reciever by itself?

I am running my Panasonic BD30 the same way. HDMI audio and video from the player into the Denon receiver which outputs HDMI video to the projector. Audio is decoded thru the Denon receiver. Oh and by the way the new audio codecs Dolby digital plus and DTS Master HD both sound fantastic. The higher resolving the system the easier it is to hear the improvement. Make sure you update your Denon receiver as there are some minor audio bugs when playing 7.1 encoded New Line cinema discs.

Last edited:
If you sent the HDMI audio and video threw the receiver, the receiver will strip the audio for playback and pass the video threw to the display.
FWIW, the 3808 reprocesses the HDMI video so that it can overlay graphics (volume et al) on the monitor Out. It can also convert analog sources into HDMI. It's one of the features I like about mine.

Rumor has it that Oppo will have a Bluray combo player sometime around Xmas, assuming that they can get all of the licensing done. While certainly not high-end, a friend has one of the current 98x units and raves about it. It will play just about every other audio and video format, including high definition audio, and supports connecting external data via USB so it can act somewhat like a media center. For roughly $200, it may be worth getting a 98x (980?) now, then you can go up to Bluray later either in or outside of the family after getting experience with it.

They have recently upgraded the firmware (downloadable to a USB stick) and fixed the few remaining issues that he had with his. I like that they're still doing ongoing support.

Rumor has it that Oppo will have a Bluray combo player sometime around Xmas, assuming that they can get all of the licensing done. While certainly not high-end, a friend has one of the current 98x units and raves about it. It will play just about every other audio and video format, including high definition audio, and supports connecting external data via USB so it can act somewhat like a media center. For roughly $200, it may be worth getting a 98x (980?) now, then you can go up to Bluray later either in or outside of the family after getting experience with it.

Did someone say Oppo Blu-Ray player? :D

0905081127.jpg

0905081126.jpg

It's being shown at Cedia right now, no ship date or price yet.

OPPO makes a good product for the cost! With Sony drooping their prices this month I think this may be a good deal !

Back