AVR Advice - Denon 3311ci

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omntch

Reaction score
I am considering the new Denon 3311ci as an upgrade to my current system. I now have a Yamaha 663 (95wpc). I use the Yamaha's Main pre-outs connected to a Parasound 2125 for my ML Source mains and the CC pre-out is connected to the built-in amp in the ML Feature Center. The Yamaha's amp is really only used drive the sides and rear. I think the mid's are somewhat weak.

Any thoughts of replacing the Yamaha with the new Denon? And, would you still drive the Parasound via the pre-out or would you recommend connecting the mains directly to the Denon. My goal is to improve my imaging, soundstange and overall quality of sound in 2.1. I do not think my HT would change much. It pretty much rocks as it is now. Or do you feel this would not be a real impact on improving the sound in my system?

I can find no reviews on the 3311ci as of yet (too new I guess). The specs look really good (although I do not intend to use 3D). My budget is around $1200 at this time if you would recommend something else that is 'new' not used that you prefer over the Denon.

My next step will be to address room treatments. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Any thoughts of replacing the Yamaha with the new Denon? And, would you still drive the Parasound via the pre-out or would you recommend connecting the mains directly to the Denon. My goal is to improve my imaging, soundstange and overall quality of sound in 2.1. I do not think my HT would change much. It pretty much rocks as it is now. Or do you feel this would not be a real impact on improving the sound in my system?

It will be a step up. Not only do you get all the latest HDMI switching and video processing, you get their network playback support, which delivers very high-quality results, as the decoding of the FLAC (or other format) happens in the receiver and is fully clocked to the D/A's in the unit.

But the real winner in comparison to the Yamaha is that fact that the Denon has Audyssey MultEQ XT and the options of Dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume. All of which radically improve the listening pleasure.

This will be quite noticeable in 2.1, but absolutely mind-blowing for HT. Trust me, you will be amazed. Just make sure to follow the guidelines I posted for Room-correction measurements

I'd continue using the Parasound for the main speakers. It likely delivers more current and has better headroom than the built-in amps.

My next step will be to address room treatments. Thanks all.

Absolutely, another major transformation. Just remember to re-do Audyssey measurements after you treat the room.

Last edited:
Thanks Jonathan. I had thought the main purpose for YAPO and Audyssey MultEQ XT were to have multiple speakers be more matched in timbre and improve the 5.1/7.1 experience.

I also was under the impression that having the Parasound drive the main speakers from the AVR pre-out would in part impact the Denon's imaging and rich sound. This is where I am somewhat confused as well.

Again thanks for the comments.

Back