Are These Speakers Even Legal... Is The A Lawyer In The House???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For instance..., I was wondering what kinda speakers are pictured here? :confused: :D The Speakers sure do look impressively big...:D
Also, I can't really tell what kinda tubed mono-blocks or any of the other equipment this system is using. I know the TT on top is some type of clear style TT... Does anyone know?:confused:

Those would be Avalon Acoustics Sentinels..... the build quality is supposed to be some of the best in the industry.

For instance..., I was wondering what kinda speakers are pictured here? :confused: :D The Speakers sure do look impressively big...:D
Also, I can't really tell what kinda tubed mono-blocks or any of the other equipment this system is using. I know the TT on top is some type of clear style TT... Does anyone know?:confused:

Avalon Eidolons, maybe Atma-Sphere amps but I can't make out the rest.

Those would be Avalon Acoustics Sentinels..... the build quality is supposed to be some of the best in the industry.

Those are the same speakers that we are supposed to audition when we go to the National Meet since I remember reading that we are headed out to some hi-end dealer while we're there... :cheers: .

Joey are you going to the meet? I was thinking of driving over so if you need a ride let us make plans.

Found this one tonight... .wonder how it sounds?

I think he needs to stand back a bit for critical listening :p

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 408
This is pulled directly from Engadget so many of you probably saw this already... still there is some sweat equity in this speaker set...

While we've seen water-based, cement cast, and speaker-shaped speakers make their respective debuts lately, this Michigan Tech project might just take the proverbial cake. Seeking to becoming kings of university's annual snow statue building contest, a few zany students crafted a monstrous snow horn, fully equipped with tweeters, mid-range drivers, and subwoofers. The horn was unfortunately disqualified from the competition due to using "materials other than snow," but how can you not hand over a gold medal to a team that braved the freezing cold in order to craft a 20,000-watt megaphone? You heard right, powering this immense array of drivers were nine Behringer EP2500s and a Crown XLS602, and while we've no way of confirming, we have every reason to believe that folks have "called to complain from miles away." So if you've ever wondered what (is probably) the loudest speaker to ever be constructed primarily from snow looks like, be sure to hit the read link for a bevy of in-progress and finalized snapshots.

Attachments

• snow horn.jpg
    snow horn.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 393
MBL 101's

Well, friends, I HAVE THEM! I can't even believe it...well, I have not paid for them yet and have not worked out getting them home, but in theory I am the purchaser.

Just one of those things where I logged on to Audiogon and there they were, I made the contact and was #2 in line, #1 never called back about them and so I am THE WINNER! There is no way I could afford the "d" or "e" models ANY TIME soon, but these "a" model forefathers should be AWESOME... The only thing they lack is the big sub driver(s) that are in the base of the current and previous model. I figure even those are probably not quite enough base response anyway, so a sub is going to be used, so why even bother with them, just get a VERY GOOD musical sub (can you say Descent i or REL? I think you can!) and voila' I should be in GREAT shape!

Now to figure out what to do with them while I try to amass some money to build the home theater! Anyone have the winning lottery numbers?! :D

Oh, you guys probably already looked, but these are like 20 years old, owned by a doctor in Monroe, LA who is a big audiofile having just upgraded to a new pair of $45,000 speakers and these even so long ago were $16,000, well, I got them for $4500! YEA BABY! Less than 10% of the cost of the current generation of these awesome speakers!

I'll keep you all posted on the progress of getting them here, getting them hooked up and amped! In the mean time enjoy these pictures!

Attachments

• 1171740920.jpg
    1171740920.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 364
  • 1171740921.jpg
    1171740921.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 1171740922.jpg
    1171740922.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 362
Joey are you going to the meet? I was thinking of driving over so if you need a ride let us make plans.

Cherian,

How long is the drive if we go by car? I could pay for half or 2/3 gas if we do go... and we could switch driving.

Joey

Well, friends, I HAVE THEM! I can't even believe it...well, I have not paid for them yet and have not worked out getting them home, but in theory I am the purchaser.

!

WOW... FANTASTIC... we're going to have to set up a time this spring when can I come over for an audition !!!!

Whooo hooo

:cheers: :rocker:

WOW... FANTASTIC... we're going to have to set up a time this spring when can I come over for an audition !!!!

Whooo hooo

:cheers: :rocker:

Thank you, thank you! They won't be fully playing to their best by then as I am pretty sure I won't have the money to buy a good pair of amps to power them with, but we might play with them in place of the Prodigy for a bit. Not moving the Prodigy, but just putting those kind of in front and connecting the wires from the Prodigy over to these instead...just to play...might be neat to see how they compare in a more direct comparison like that...

I am ready for ALL you guys (those in Austin and those who just want to make the drive in to Austin) to come on over and have some steaks or whatever you want to put on the grill and lets have a little party. If we wait a month or so I should have the 70" Sony bought and in and then we can enjoy that even more!

Nice purchase, James. My cup overflows with envy :)

T-

You Are SOOOOOOOOO Lucky....

James,

Wow:wow: MBL's! :drool: Wonderful! Congratulations! :D I am very envious but very happy for you. :D

Can't wait to hear how the sound. How long before you will be able to take a listen?

With the grills off they always look like they need a light bulb and a shade on top.

Not sure about eating Rotels, but that's really something I'd like to eat, James :haha1: Well done, congrats !!!

LOL! VERY GOOD! Nice combination of threads! Yea, this was just one of those deals where I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time. I figure add a pair of descent's to these bad boys and they will be AWESOME! Since this model does not have the big base bottom on them... I'll keep you all posted of course!

Thanks everyone...oh, no worries on the ML's, they are my babies, they won't be going ANYWHERE!

Now that's something to get excited about! I'll look forward to your full review soon. I have never read a personal, in depth review of the MBL's.

Congratulations James! Can I have your Prodigy's?:D
Just kidding.......well, not really.;)

Dan

Back