Are These Speakers Even Legal... Is The A Lawyer In The House???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I (We) Love you...

Admit it....

...you love me!
Joey,

You already know I (we) love you, my son...

Even when you didn't go with the BEM Vista's.
Even when you up-graded to Summits without a word.
Even when you didn't tell me what kinda preamp Cary SLP-98.
Even when you... well you can fill-in the blanks (and their are many)...

Sufficit to say even then you are :devil: instead of an :angel: ...

I (we) still Love you.

Last edited:
Comfy Cozy in the Bedroom Sensual Listening...

This is kinda what I am looking to do in my boudoir. Except ML's of course with tubed amp, CD/SACD and eventually phono... ;) Oh, except I would have the head of my bed where the black leather chair is on the lower right, of the photo (the foot of my bed closer to the audio rack)... :D

:D Maggies + Ayre = Music system...

These Maggies are Kinda what I'm imagining the CLX's might look like, maybe... :)

Attachments

• Ayre + Maggie + Magic System.jpg
    Ayre + Maggie + Magic System.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 817
Geez... how did that pass the WAF?? In the bedroom to say the least! :eek: :eek:

I haven't done too much research on this... but this Cabasse Karissima speaker looks like it could hypnotize you while listening to your music.:p

They claim it's the perfect center speaker... comes in 3 finishes, "The Karissima, part of the brand's reference Artis Series, can be used as either a full-range speaker or as an ideal center channel to complement the Cabasse flagship La Sphere. Priced at $24,400 each, Karissima is available to order from StJohn Group and comes in Wild Cherry, Santos or Wenge finishes. "

Here is a nice review...

For more info...

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 679
  • karissima_santos.jpg
    karissima_santos.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 769

That guy.... is nutso!

Joey

Uh, like having Summits in the dorm room is exemplary of 'normal' behaviour ;)

Plenty of nut-cases on this board, I see one in the mirror every morning :D

MBL 101 playing at the house!

Here they are... Finally they are here and set up and playing well! Rotel powering and distributing the signal, and iPod providing the source for now. Looking at adding an OPPO CD/DVD player (for its CD ability and thin profile) in the not to distant future.

They seem to sound very good but with my massive hearing impairment it is hard to tell and I certainly would not try to make comparisons to anything else. The one think I can tell you is that when you set these speakers more towards the center of a room so you can go all around them you find out just how encompassing the music is. Where ML's tend to beam a nice tall signal front and back with a distinct sweet spot, the Omni directional nature of the MBL speakers (101's in particular) provide AMAZING sound EVERYWHERE at the same time! It really is a wild experience! These also seem to have more base than I expected...again my current medical condition may be playing a role in this and when I am hearing well again I may change my mind on this point.

Note the location of all the Rotel gear under the sofa and the iPod sitting on top of the RC 1070 preamp in one of the pics.

Attachments

• medMBLfrt.jpg
    medMBLfrt.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 800
  • medMBLlft.jpg
    medMBLlft.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,148
  • medMBLrt.jpg
    medMBLrt.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 900
James,

What exactly is different between the 101a (yours) and the newest 101e's?

Joey

This is kinda what I am looking to do in my boudoir. Except ML's of course with tubed amp, CD/SACD and eventually phono... ;) Oh, except I would have the head of my bed where the black leather chair is on the lower right, of the photo (the foot of my bed closer to the audio rack)... :D

I thought you might hang the ML's from the ceiling and beam the music straight down onto the bed.:D

What exactly is different between the 101a (yours) and the newest 101e's?

Joey, from a response standpoint I don't know. The visual difference and driver difference is that there is a "sub" if you will in the ported square base of the "e" model vs. NO driver in the soft triangle base of my "a" model. SOOO, I would guess that the "e" would REALLY like to be bi-amped and that it is truely a FULL range speaker that probably gets down into the mid 20Hz range.

Because my base is three sided vs the current model four sided base I have the pyramid or tapered triangle "grill" or speaker cover and the "e" has the four sided "pagoda" covers. Oh, they are made of a hard metal "screen" material too...I figured they would be cloth for some reason...NOT!

Again, I have not seen any FORMAL info on this, but from studying pics and reading all the articles I can find that seems to be the difference. There may be some differences in the radial drivers too, but from a visual standpoint they seem identical! Oh, there is an "MBL" cap on the VERY TOP of the radial driver array in the current models that is not on mine...guess I could probably stick one of those on though! :D

I figure if I added a nice REL sub to the mix you would not be able to tell the difference between my "a" and the current "e" models...ok, MOST people would not be able to tell the difference. Certainly not without critical listening.

What's the overall freq response of the 101a? Without a sub, how low do they go?

Joey

Looks great, James. Now I think it is time to sell that couch and get something more modern looking in there. :D

I'd like to think you could improve upon it with a good quality sub. Better placement options, and can go lower to boot. How low do your a models go?

Looks great, James. Now I think it is time to sell that couch and get something more modern looking in there. :D

Joey,

Don't know what the freq response is on the 101a. Have never seen ANY info on the "a". Have viewed some stuff on the "d" and "e" but can't remember the response there either.

Rich,

That is a 65 year old antique couch that belonged to my grandparents, it won't be going anywhere... The main living room has a nice couch w/ the recliners on each end...

Beautiful!

Here they are... Finally they are here and set up and playing well! Rotel powering and distributing the signal, and iPod providing the source for now. Looking at adding an OPPO CD/DVD player (for its CD ability and thin profile) in the not to distant future.

They seem to sound very good but with my massive hearing impairment it is hard to tell and I certainly would not try to make comparisons to anything else. The one think I can tell you is that when you set these speakers more towards the center of a room so you can go all around them you find out just how encompassing the music is. Where ML's tend to beam a nice tall signal front and back with a distinct sweet spot, the Omni directional nature of the MBL speakers (101's in particular) provide AMAZING sound EVERYWHERE at the same time! It really is a wild experience! These also seem to have more base than I expected...again my current medical condition may be playing a role in this and when I am hearing well again I may change my mind on this point.

Note the location of all the Rotel gear under the sofa and the iPod sitting on top of the RC 1070 preamp in one of the pics.
James,

:D I don't mind saying I am now feeling a little envious of your MBL 101A system but I must say it looks great, James. :D Lovely set-up. The MBL 101A's have found an excellent home. ;)

I must have missed something, a thread or a post somewhere... James, how did you loose your hearing? What medical condition? What is the prognosis? :confused:

:D I don't mind saying I am now feeling a little envious of your MBL 101A system but I must say it looks great, James. :D Lovely set-up. The MBL 101A's have found an excellent home. ;)

I must have missed something, a thread or a post somewhere... James, how did you loose your hearing? What medical condition? What is the prognosis? :confused:

Thanks Robin, they have indeed found the perfect home! Nice place for them to sound their best too!

Yea, I guess you did. I woke up Monday AM and had lost significant hearing in my left ear. SUCKS TOTALLY! Dr. Joey (and my ENT too) say it should return but it could take weeks or even months. Same virus that causes Belles Palsey. Taking meds, but no apparent effect yet. May see about an increase in the steroid dose Monday.

Really sucks to have a SUPER COOL new set of speakers come and be set up 2-3 days after loosing a significant portion of your hearing!

Get Well Soon...

James,

Thanks for letting me know. :eek: I am sorry this illness has occurred to you... Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers, for a speedy recovery. We got to get you back in the 'well ears' listening saddle again, my friend. :)

We got to get you back in the 'well ears' listening saddle again, my friend. :)

Thanks Robin... You got that right too. At band practice on Wed I put my in ear guitar monitor in my left ear as always knowing that it would not sound right but wanting to hear how it WOULD sound... I hit four notes (different ones) and they ALL sounded the same! That is NOT GOOD! Used my right ear for the in ear but then I don't hear the overall monitor mix well...so I need my hearing back FOR SURE!

Thanks for the prayers! I'll take any/all I can get friends!

Latest posts

Back