Any Oppo bdp-83/93/103 Comparisons On Analog Out?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beakman

Reaction score
Not too long ago I got my hands on a used Oppo BDP83. I bought it for blu-ray capabilities for the most part and the reputed cd playback superiority as an added bonus, if real. After using the right inputs in my processor and doing a same cd syncronized in both cd players comparo, the Oppo does do a better job than my sony ES555 changer, as in channel separation. Unfortunately the pre-owned Oppo has developed a problem on the video side with the HMDI.
I'd like to get the Oppo sent out (any recommendations to where?) or upgrade it with a later model, the 93 or 103 as I simply can't spend the money on the 95 or 105.
What I'd like to know is how the stereo analog sound quality compares between the x3 series units. Would I be loosing out on the music side of things if I upgraded to a new bdp103 or would I need to spend the $1200 or so bucks to maintain the same sonic quality as the 83.
Thanks in advance.

Oppo will repair your unit. They are very good. The 103 will do more things but I am not sure about the analog output.

J

Oppo will repair your unit. They are very good. The 103 will do more things but I am not sure about the analog output.

J

Off to Oppo it goes then. I figure I'll be better of getting an inexpensive blu-ray player for the duration. There are no dedicated analog stereo outs on the 93/103, so a refurbed or dent/ scratch 95 would be the next step.
Thanks.

oppo/update

You can ask them while it is there to update your 83 it to the SE model it has allot better analogue out than the standard 83

You can ask them while it is there to update your 83 it to the SE model it has allot better analogue out than the standard 83

I saw that option on their web page, I'll look into it if it's still valid.
What tangible improvements are to be had by the SE upgrade?

Back