OPPO BDP-83 Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
Hi All! Not sure if everyone knows but Oppo has started sending out emails to those who wanted to be notified of the release of the BDP-83. Just got my email last night and ordered one. I think it's going to be opend to the general public in a couple of weeks.

One question for those that were on the trial and already have one..
Is it possible to run both HDMI audio and Coax/Optical at the same time? The reason I ask is that I want to run HDMI bitstream to my reciever for full movide HD decoding and on the audio side, I want to run coax to my PS Audio DAC for CD playback.

Thanks, Mark

Where I have my OPPO BDP 83 installed it is not easy to access the back of the unit to hook-up optical or COAX. I have a very large heavy set of cabinets that require at least two people to move them simultaneously or I would try to hook this up myself.

I currently have it hooked up with HDMI and 7.1 audio out. Unfortunately my PS Audio Digital Link III is downstairs in the 5.1 system that is music only so no HDMI.

Bottom line is I think you can hook up both and I am pretty sure that you can find the answer in the AVS Forum Official OPPO BDP-83 Early Adoption Program Owner's Thread [technical talk only] .

I am sure you can configure the OPPO to play out the Coax/Optical for the PS Audio DAC III, but for sure the answer is here in this thread. Check the Manual and do a search of the thread.

BTW, we just got another Firmware update today and the BDP83 just keeps getting better. It already is doing everything I ask of it. It looks like they are just one more firmware from having every known issue handled. Quite an accomplishment when compared to the competition.

I've got one on order too!

I'm using dual outputs (coax and HDMI) with my Oppo 980H, and it works fine. I assume the BDP 83 can likewise handle that.

JMAUSGP.. Thanks, I downloaded the manual last night and read through it. It did not say anything about not being able to use HDMI & Coax at the same time. I guess if you couldn't, it would be stated in the manual (my Marantz universal cound not output audio to both). I'll take a look through the forums.

Sleepysurf.. thanks for the info.. hopefully the Oppo BDP will work in the same manner..

I'm a little surprised that the Oppo is not generating more interest here. For the video and audio enthusiats here, it seems like a no brainer.

I am pretty exicited about this unit I have three Toshiba HD DVD units( Yeah I was a Beta guy too)
So I am looking forward to getting this unit for Blu Ray and the audio capabilities as well.'
I think there will be more buzz when we can actually get these units

. . .

I'm a little surprised that the Oppo is not generating more interest here. For the video and audio enthusiats here, it seems like a no brainer.

As a former HD-DVD-er with burnt fingers this sounds like a good unit to switch to for blue ray
BUT
if you google the model, you'll come upon reviews by oppo's own beta user group where about 25% are having problems with it reading red book CD's and some other audio formats. I didn't see when the reviews were done but I'll still wait awhile till all bug fixes are in.

JMAUSGP... I'm a little surprised that the Oppo is not generating more interest here. For the video and audio enthusiats here, it seems like a no brainer.

Oppo, as a "value" brand, hasn't garnered much respect in the Audiophile community. However, there are plenty of Audio/Videophiles in various forums who rave about their overall quality, especially at their price point. I listen to 98% of music via my Squeezebox, but the Oppo 980H has proven very capable, especially as a transport into my Benchmark DAC. I'm really looking forward to having the BDP-83 as my single Universal Player for the next few years. If it's SACD and Redbook CD playback are as good as the 980H, I'll have no reason to upgrade to anything else.

Yes, I know what you mean. But sometimes when something is priced like the OPPO BDP83, then some tend to lable it as too cheap to be good.

Frankly, I don't understand how OPPO does it. Their products perform way above their price points and I mean WAY above. Yet there customer service is phenomenal and the way they released this thing via a lottery, that was genius.

It made people feel like they won a Nigerian lottery and they were more than happy to pay to play.:D

I was lucky enough to get in on the EAP and the unit I got has performed flawlessly. Except for the night it blew up my Stylos, knocked my friend out cold and broke my leg. Other than that it has been an unbelievably positive experience. Be careful if you watch the Bluray movie Taken:devil:

So far SACD has been fine, DVD Audio had a couple issues early on but now it seems fine, at least on my collection. There is still an issue with HDCD discs but OPPO is working on the next Firmware release to fix that and really that is about it. This thing is cleaner than a cat in a hair factory:D

Notice I said enthusiast.. I think that the Oppo as a universal player and feeding music into a decent DAC would be an enthusiasts dream.. at least it's mine.

I don't have the funds or the room for some of the dream systems I see here (and I do love to look at, drool over, and read about them) so my goal is the best value/flexibility (BluRay, CD, SACD, good upscale on DVD) and sound from an AV system with good audio that fits within my budget.
Because of this forum, I have learned a great deal and hopefully am building a better system that I ever could have without you guys.

Anyway, not to stray off topic, can't wait until the Oppos start coming in and people start posting their thoughts. I'm impressed by what I've read so far.. Also can't wait until TonePub :bowdown: gets his hands on one..

The latest I have heard is that the OPPO BDP83 should be generally available for purchase by the middle of May.

Hopefully that is true.

Frankly, I don't understand how OPPO does it.

Oppo is manufactured in a Chinese factory that also manufactures $30 CD players and $40 DVD players for Walmart, Sears, etc etc etc. So, you have economies of scale and Chinese low wages.

The same company also manufactures for Cambridge Audio, another brand known for high performance at low cost. The CA engineering team participates in the design of the Oppo players because they also market the same players with slightly different mechanical packaging under the CA name. That is partly why Oppo players are known to have better than average audio performance....it's CA's design team's contribution.

Oppo gear sells for less than CA gear due to Oppo's much simplified consumer direct distribution.

Any recommendations for some good Blu-ray concerts? I just ordered Stevie Wonder: Live at Last, and Chris Botti in Boston.

Those are two of the best concerts. You might want to check out David Foster Hitman.

... You might want to check out David Foster Hitman.

Hmmm, never heard of him, but after reading the Amazon reviews, sounds like a must-see! Quite an impressive list of performers! Thanks!

Just got confirmation that my Oppo shipped today :D it will probably be a couple of weeks to make it here to Canada.. can't wait!

Got the Oppo BDP-83 today, and all I can say is WOW! Audio and video are both stunning! The build quality is much more solid than my Oppo 980H (which this replaces). The analog section of the 980H was just "OK", but worked well as a transport into the Benchmark (for those rare times I play back physical media). The BDP-83 DAC and analog outputs, on the other hand, are superb by themselves for Redbook CD and SACD, especially after invoking the "audio only" mode (which turns off all video circuits). I've read that Oppo is still working on bug fixes for DVD-A playback, but I don't own any DVD-A discs, and don't plan on starting now! I'm not sure which DAC chipset they're using, but on first listen, it compares very favorably to my Benchmark DAC! I'll probably relegate the Benchmark for Squeezebox playback only.

BluRay (and standard) DVD playback are awesome. Just watched some excerpts from the Chris Botti concert... phenomenal! Great recommendation!

After just a couple hours, I'm blown away with it's feature set, and the attention Oppo paid to ensure quality audio. I suspect both audio/videophiles will be clamoring to get this truly UNIVERSAL player, once they're available to the general public (presumably in a couple weeks).

I'm anxious to hear others opinions!

I've read that Oppo is still working on bug fixes for DVD-A playback, but I don't own any DVD-A discs, and don't plan on starting now!

Not to go too far off of the the topic of the thread, but if you've never heard the Linkin Park Reanimation DVD-A it's a pretty great listen and one to check out since you obvously have a player for it now. It might not be your kind of music, but it's what i use to show off my system to my friends. They are always more impressed by the multi channel goodness than the over all quality anyway. Non audio people just don't understand. I don't own too much multi channel audio, but it is the only disc i've found that is a genuine improvement over the stereo recording.

When the disc originally came out is was hailed as the disc that would get the masses interested in multichannel DVD-A. Obviously that never happened, but still.

A universal player that even plays Bluray for $499.00, it is incredible. But when you tell people that the machine has been tweaked for audiophile music reproduction and you get :rolleyes:

Right now it is better more people don't know. I am trying to get my 2nd and 3rd unit and as you know, it is not easy.

Since the last firmware at least my unit has been flawless. You should just buy a couple peices of your favorite music in DVD Audio just so you can hear some of it in surround sound on the BDP-83 and then you can say you have it. Beatles Love is unreal in DVD Audio, it truly is loverly.

Got the Oppo BDP-83 today, and all I can say is WOW! Audio and video are both stunning! The build quality is much more solid than my Oppo 980H (which this replaces). I'm anxious to hear others opinions!

I got my Oppo yesterday and I agree that this is one awesome machine!

So I could get my wife and daughter to listen too, the first DVD I played was Celine Dion's New Day DVD. For fear of being banned from the forum, I shouldn't admit it, but I happen to like her music too, and this performance, which was her last in Vegas, is incredible . . . once you get past some of the "male" dancers :eek:

The very first thing I noticed, over my old 981 Oppo is the colors are much more vivid. The white's are really white and the rest of the colors just really are more vivid. This also allows for a lot more detail to show through. For example, when they show the audience, I can actually see individuals more defined, where as before it was too "dark". So the picture is a lot clearer in general. VERY noticeable!

Next, the automatic sizing to the screen puts things in proper proportion. Before I had to zoom the picture to 1.3 to get a larger picture, which cuts things off and evidently distorts the image. My wife commented Celine looks like she lost 20 pounds since the last concert! Now I see how it should be!

As far as the audio goes, I noticed much better base response right away. Also the separation of voices from each other is much more pronounced.
I'll give it some time to break in, but I also thought the overall sound was a bit "thicker/heavier" and a touch less transparent. My wife commented Celine "sounded an octave lower". Perhaps this was what I was thinking too.

On a bad note though, I have two complaints:
1. The power cord is VERY lose. I wanted to put a replacement cord on it, but I see it's only two prong. (I use all Signal Cable power cords).
2. I will probably send this unit back for a replacement as it actually rocks, and not in a good way. The feet won't stay level and I can rock the unit! :(
Even though I have three BDR pit/cone combinations under the unit, with a Shokti stone on top for good luck, I still feel the unit should be stable by itself. Could the case be warped or just the footers on wrong or not all the same size? I just think anyone who tested this unit should have seen it rocking when it was set down.

Other than that, it's a definite winner, and an improvement for my system.
By the way my system is: Summits, Cary SLP-03 pre amp, Sanders Sound System power amp, Kimber Hero IC's, Signal cable power cords, Shunyata Hydra 8 for the front end and a Hydra four for the power amp. Might use the other three outlets later. Two dedicated 20 amp outlets with PS audio receptacles. Various BDR pits/cones and like I mentioned, one Shokti stone for good luck :D The whole thing is housed in a salamander triple. (I'm rethinking that one. I had a double and went to the triple. I think it messed up the transparency, but is WAF friendly. I'd like a single 20" high in the middle and a taller up and down unit off to the side. I'd like a couple of "plants" in between the Salamander single and each speaker. The base trapping variety. I can't recall the company just now. Not sure if that would be better or not. Some day . . .

Joe M.

Last edited by a moderator:
...As far as the audio goes, I noticed much better base response right away. Also the separation of voices from each other is much more pronounced. I'll give it some time to break in, but I also thought the overall sound was a bit "thicker/heavier" and a touch less transparent. My wife commented Celine "sounded an octave lower". Perhaps this was what I was thinking too.
I thought the 980H was a bit "thin" sounding, but the BDP-83 definitely adds "heft". Have you listened in the "audio only" mode? I hadn't noticed any shift in "tone", but will do a longer comparison with my Benchmark.

...On a bad note though, I have two complaints:
1. The power cord is VERY lose. I wanted to put a replacement cord on it, but I see it's only two prong. (I use all Signal Cable power cords).
2. I will probably send this unit back for a replacement as it actually rocks, and not in a good way. The feet won't stay level and I can rock the unit!

The loose power cord issue with some units has been mentioned on avsforums.com. Some folks have suggested wrapping the cord with a layer or two of black electrical tape. Fortunately, my cord fits quite snugly. As for the uneven feet and rocking, haven't heard that complaint before! It weighs ~11 lbs, and is a lot more stable than my 980H (at ~5 lbs) was! Have you checked it on another flat surface?

Back