OPPO BDP-83 Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like a couple of "plants" in between the Salamander single and each speaker. The base trapping variety. I can't recall the company just now. Not sure if that would be better or not. Some day . . .

Joe M.

I think you're referring to these planter bass traps, produced by Ethan Winer's company, Real Traps. Ethan's a great guy to deal with--I was exchanging some email with him a while ago about getting some Mondo Traps for my room.

Enjoy the Music has the first audiophile review of the BDP-83...
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0609/aachapter116.htm

Overall, very favorable. The reviewer says it rivals his $6000 Esoteric DV-60 DVD/SACD player! Interestingly, he says the unit uses different DAC's for two-channel vs. multi-channel playback, with the two-channel one offering more "ambience." Interesting!

Unfortunately, after tweaking the audio settings a bit, I'm no longer getting optical output to my Benchmark. If I can't figure out what I did, guess I'll need to reset to factory defaults.

I think you're referring to these planter bass traps, produced by Ethan Winer's company, Real Traps. Ethan's a great guy to deal with--I was exchanging some email with him a while ago about getting some Mondo Traps for my room.

Thanks! That's exactly the "plant trap" I was referring too!

I'm wondering what 2 of those would spund like in my sytem.

The set up would be:

Summit - Plant - Single 20" high Salamander unit - Plant - Summit

Then the rest of the equipment would be off to the right in another single Salamander unit, but that could be as high as 50" to house everything, including my old Rega turntable hidden in the basement that hasn't been touched since the late 80's!

Joe

Solved the "no digital output" problem. I had connected my Squeezebox to my preamp, instead of the Benchmark. Doh!

After a bit more setup tweaking, I'll compare the internal Oppo DAC with the Benchmark tonight.

BTW, there's a superb unofficial BDP-83 FAQ list here...
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

It says the dedicated stereo output uses the Cirrus CS4398 DAC, which has better specs than the multi-channel Cirrus CS4382A DAC. It's great to see that Oppo took the high road when it comes to two-channel playback!

Solved the "no digital output" problem. I had connected my Squeezebox to my preamp, instead of the Benchmark. Doh!

After a bit more setup tweaking, I'll compare the internal Oppo DAC with the Benchmark tonight.

BTW, there's a superb unofficial BDP-83 FAQ list here...
http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html

It says the dedicated stereo output uses the Cirrus CS4398 DAC, which has better specs than the multi-channel Cirrus CS4382A DAC. It's great to see that Oppo took the high road when it comes to two-channel playback!
look forward to hearing how it compares alone and thru the benchmark

look forward to hearing how it compares alone and thru the benchmark

I set the Oppo for pure "audio" mode, and volume matched it to the Benchmark. I then alternated the same 8 CD demo tracks (but not double blind) comparing the Oppo RCA analog direct to my Modwright Pre, vs. Oppo digital Toslink to the Benchmark, then to the Modwright.

Overall, they both gave very musical presentations. The Benchmark added a touch of cleaner bass and detail, but no real difference in overall tone or soundstage depth/imaging. Frankly, I would be content listening to either for extended periods.

Considering that the BDP-83 costs half what the Benchmark does, I consider that quite an achievement!

Alan, are you considering Dan's prospective Oppo mod or are you content as-is?

Alan, are you considering Dan's prospective Oppo mod or are you content as-is?

Hadn't heard about that! However, given that I use my Squeezebox for 95% of my listening, I'm quite content to leave the BDP-83 as is (+/- the Benchmark) for physical playback. I'll still be interested in seeing how that develops!

Alan , sounds like the Oppo did a great job! I am looking forward to getting my hands on one

thanks for the mini review

Received my Oppo tonight. Only got to play with it for an hour or so before the system was usurped by the future wife & American Idol. Here are my thoughts so far:

1. It has been said before and I'll say it again. This is a quality product! Build is excellent; display, setup, controls and the remote are amongst the best I have ever seen in this price range. Kudos to Oppo for bringing this quality of a product at this price.

2. Picture Quality: I was watching Chronicles of Riddick last night and got half way through it (on the PS3). Love the movie and have seen it many times. Anyway, I put it into the Oppo and was immediately blown away. Colors are richer and there is definitely more depth. Good detail in the shadows and the hi-lights. Definitely more punch than the PS3 and has taken my TV to a new level. (not so jelous of my buddy's Pioneer Kuro anymore)

3. Sound Quality: I'm not in a position to critically judge the sound quality as I have a new AV receiver (Rotel 1560) that's a week old (had the dealers demo for a month before my black one came in) and it will need at least 4 weeks to break in. Also, a single Signal Cable Ultra speaker cable came in for my right channel as the original was a little tight and I need more slack for positioning.

BluRay - simply outstanding; no surprise here. My first experience with DTS-HD Master and Dolby true HD. WOW!

CD: I took my favorite CD and ran it through the CD analog; HDMI letting the Rotel do the DA conversion and Coax through the PS Audio DAC into the multichannel bypass inputs. Needless to say, the analog and PSA DAC blew away the Rotel doing the conversion. Hard to tell between the Oppo analog outs and the PS DAC. I'll need a month or so for the new hardware to break in.

Next Step: I have a fried with a copy of Dark Knight and we'll run them both at the same time in the Oppo and the PS3 and switch back and forth. Pretty much know what the result will be but it will be a great exercise.

Oh, the answer to my original question.. the Oppo seems to have all outputs active so no problem hooking it up three ways..

Thanks for all the input, comments and mini-reviews. Mark

Got my invitation yesterday and ordered mine. Should be here in a week or so. General sales are supposed to start about the 2nd week in June.

Level with me . . . Oppo not sitting level

Got my invitation yesterday and ordered mine. Should be here in a week or so. General sales are supposed to start about the 2nd week in June.

Hey Burke!
Good to hear from you!

I got my Oppo a few days ago and love it. I posted a few comments previously. To sum up, what was noticeable from second I put a DVD in it:
- Colors are very bright, but natural
- Base response is improved
- Automatic sizing to the screen works great so everything is now in true proportion
- Picture is VERY clear. The upscaling is awesome! I now see things in the background that were " blacked or blurred out with my 981 Oppo.

I would think with your set up, you will be VERY pleased with the upgrade :bowdown:

Anyway, my unit "rocked" in more than one way. It literally rocked on a flat surface. I called tech support and here is what they told me to do:

"Place the player on a flat, level surface. Loosen, but do not remove, the screws on the side (4 in total) and the screws on the back (5 in total) that are used to connect the cover to the chassis. Re-tighten the screws. The player should now be level". :D

It worked!

Joe M.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think the general sales price is going to be $599 while the introductory price for the early adopters was definitely $499. Anyone able to confirm the MSRP for the regular market?

Got my invite also will order it tomorrow

Mine will be delivered on May 29. Here's my question. Is the audio good enough to displace my Esoteric DV50s? Keep both? Sell the Esoteric?

Do not sell your DV50!!!! The DV50 will do much better with CDs and SACDs than the Oppo

Bdp-83

Cherian: Have you heard them both? if so what differences did you hear? I would really be interested. thanks

I own an Esoteric DV-50S and my Borther uses an Oppo though not the 83 (He has a DV-983H). I borrowed the Oppo for a week and had it in my system. I have no doubt the Oppo is a awesome bang for the dollar. However I found the CD playback and SACD playback on the Oppo too bright and the sound stage was too forward in my system. Second, the Oppo is just not built on the same level as the Esoteric. Ok, the Esoteric cost $6,000.00 new so it is a big price jump. If you already own the Esoteric I would not let it go for an Oppo.

Back