Analog Upgrades..... Joey and Dave !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, Tim, Ray, and everyone else....

What do you think of this one??

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1191271923

Thanks,

Joey

first off Joey he is wrong on the orig retail, it would be $2450 with that cartridge. $1850 isn't bad, but keep in mind there are two variants of that cartridge, a low output (.5mv) and a high output (4.0 mv). I couldn't remember what you had for gain with your phono stage.

Regardless, If I were to make an offer it would be $1600-1750, no more.

Like Dave said, find out the version of the cartridge. I think that is an $800 cartridge and if everything is new in the box it's not a bad deal. Of course offering a little less never hurt!

Joey, I agree with what's been said so far, more....

if the Grado is the low output Statement version it would be a decent deal.
Just remember that phono cartridges are transducers and as important as your speakers in that they create the signature sound of your system.

That said, the "Grado Sound" is very polarizing. Some love it, some hate it.
Are you at all familiar with it?

Food for thought...

Cheers,
Ray

Dave, Tim, Ray, and everyone else....

What do you think of this one??

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1191271923

Thanks,

Joey

first off Joey he is wrong on the orig retail, it would be $2450 with that cartridge. $1850 isn't bad, but keep in mind there are two variants of that cartridge, a low output (.5mv) and a high output (4.0 mv). I couldn't remember what you had for gain with your phono stage.

Regardless, If I were to make an offer it would be $1600-1750, no more.

A 1.5 mv version of those cartridges is also available.

You know when I'm out your way the week of the 20th I expect to hear some vinyl spinning !!

How long are you going to be in the Chicago area and how many systems do you expect to see.

Joey, That turntable is still sitting on my floor waiting for you to pick it up.

--burke

Joey, have you made an offer ??? You know when I'm out your way the week of the 20th I expect to hear some vinyl spinning !!

I've made an offer, Mister Dave... but no reply. I sent another one today. Some people just don't have the interest to sell....

*Sigh*....

Joey :(

How long are you going to be in the Chicago area and how many systems do you expect to see.

Joey, That turntable is still sitting on my floor waiting for you to pick it up.

--burke

If I dont end up with a TT soon, I may have to pick your TT up, my friend...

:)

Joey

Joey:

What kind of analog sound are you after?

What do you have in place for a phono preamp?

Do you have a lot of vinyl, or will you be starting from
scratch?

Also, how much do you want to screw around with turntable
setup?

Might want to PM me before you pull the trigger....

After reading Francisco Duran's outrageous and over the top review of the Hi Fi Tuning fuses I just had to try them for myself. I had fully expected to post this in lugano's snake oil thread but folks this is the real deal. At 30+ bucks a pop plus shipping these are expensive as fuses go but cheap as hell as far as most tweaks go. Never have I spent so little and gained so much! Go to www.positive-feedback.com and read for yourself to which I can only add WHAT HE SAID! Now where are those Summit fuses?

Tony, I finished reading a sidebar by Robert Deutsch in the recent Stereophile, touting the virtues of this little "Tweak" as well. I think I too might just give it a shot !

Have not tried any power cord swaps yet, my short term goal is to get Dan (DTB300) over for a listening session so as to further pick his brain with respect to room acoustical tweaks.

So How do you like the PH5 Dave?

Tony, Good day, I couldn't be happier than I am with my Ph-5 / SDS purchase. The rock steady control that the SDS provides along with 'on the fly' cartridge loading with the PH-5 has brought about a nice improvement to my analog front end.

Hey Dave, glad to hear your upgrades worked out for you. BTW, did you see Harry...

Weisfeld's post on the Vinyl Asylum about his new "test mule"?

He has finally "seen the light" when it comes to making the VPI turntables more "lively" and tuneful.

Check this out. A Scout RIM DRIVE :rocker:

It's a wierd implementation, but an important first step. Maybe now the VPI's drives will evolve with appropriately high torque motors.

Cheers,
Ray

Attachments

• NEW_RIM_DRIVE.jpg
    NEW_RIM_DRIVE.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 84
Interesting Ray, I see he has it against the 'Super Platter' on a Scoutmaster Table, I wonder will it be called a Super-Duper Scoutmaster ??? I agree the idler wheel with rubber band seems somewhat of a step back to me, can't imagine the isolation characteristics are as good as a belt ??

Got a trumpet with the stepup transformer that I'm getting rid of.

Any of you guys want a good deal...

PM Me!!

...I agree the idler wheel with rubber band seems somewhat of a step back to me, can't imagine the isolation characteristics are as good as a belt ??

Hi Dave,
Actually, a properly executed rim drive appears to be more dynamic and "real" in sound than a belt drive. At least, that's what my ears tell me. It all has to do with lack of belt slippage and greater speed stability.
It may not be as quiet as a typical VPI, but is loads more musical.
I can only wonder though if the use of belts from the motor to the "wheel" lessens the positive qualities of a rim drive.
I'm sure that it's definitely worth a listen. Also, VPI will not go to production on something like this unless it is as quiet as other VPI's. In the end, this may limit the sonic advantages of this rim drive implementation.

I guess time will tell.
Maybe there will be one ready in time for RMAF.

Cheers,
Ray

Back