PASS Labs and ML ReQuests anyone?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sambob2

Reaction score
Hello all,
Love this site. Been reading for a while and decided to join recently. I'll include some info about me and my system (and it's progression thru many years of upgrades) as I get the chance to write up something...and you thought Joey has the bugitis...wait...

anyway on to my question...
I've been auditioning a Pass Labs X250.5 lately at a local Hi End audio store and love the sound. We've been listening to the amp thru a pair of Magneplanar 20.1's with an Audio Research LS-26 and various source components, mostly digital at this point. (I have a collection of digital and LP's) I haven't had the chance to discuss bringing a demo of the (h-e-a-v-y) Amp home but will try to discuss that with the store owner. I am sure he will oblige but wanted to know if anyone has this amp hooked up to a pair of ML's specifically ReQuests. Knowing the listening experience is mostly subjective, I'd like to know others experience with our beloved electrostatics and the PASS newer .5 products. By the way the 20.1's are marvelous....but I love my ReQuets! Some info on my main current system, Pair of ML ReQuests, older L-05 Kenwood Mono block DC Amlipfiers 100 Watts/Ch., Audio Research LS-15 just retubed and PH-3 phono pre-amp, highly modified Techniques SL-1100 table with a SME tonearm, Denon DCD 1500 CD Player and a Panamax line filter/protection system. As you can see, I want to upgrade(itis) the amplifier first, then move onto an upgrade to the turntable next (probably a VPI Aries 3) Any other combinations of amplifiers and ReQuests which work or do not? I think the wattage output from the Pass Labs x250.5 is ideal for the ReQuests given that the next amp in Pass's lineup x350.5 is almost 32% more costly and only offers another 100 w/ch. I listen to a lot of genre's of music no one in particular...love dynamics...and even use the system in a surround sound set up also, which if I may say ML's excel at also!...more on that another time.
Thanks for your time and input,
Sam

I've been auditioning a Pass Labs X250.5 lately at a local Hi End audio store and love the sound.
If I am not mistaken, Twich (user here), also auditioned the 250.5 when he was looking to purchase an amp. He also has the ARC LS-26. Hopefully he will stop in an pass on his impressions of the amp for you.

Dan

Sam, welcome ! Where have you been to ...."Audio Connection", John Ratan's shop in Verona,NJ by chance ?? He's a good guy , I bought my Plinius SA-102 off of him !!

Dan is correct I auditioned at length with the Pass 250.5 being fed by a LS-16 at the time and as good as it was and is ! I felt the Plinius surpassed it , whereas the SA-102 is half the power (3 db diff) it's ability to be biased in Class "A" throughout it's powerband provides what so many of the "tube" boys find magical about their Logans.

If possible try and audition the Plinius, I along with others, would be surprised if you were not impressed, I'm still a fan of Nelson Pass so either way you are headed in a very sweet sonic direction !!1

Good Luck, we'll be interested in the outcome !!

Pass Labs and ML's

I have used a Pass Labs X350.5 with Summits and X-3 with Stage center and Script i surrounds. Nearly all the Pass X-series amps share a similar voicing. They have loads of head room and coast through most loads. While the ReQuests are an older design, they would probably open up very well with what you are considering. You might consider talking to Pass Labs directly. Their contact info is on their web site. One of the staff can give you some idea of how this amp would work with what you have. Another consideration in choosing your amp is product support. I have owned Pass electronics for more than a decade and they are wonderful about supporting what they make.

Small world indeed...!

Dave,

Hello there...Yes I have been to Audio Connection in Verona...John is a real nice guy, very relaxed and knowledgeable and takes his time to sit and audition equipment with you. Audio Connection is about a 25-minute drive from where I live or 10 minutes from my Mother's...yes I plan visits there...to Mom's then to John's time permitting.

Unknowingly John and I go back a long long way...in fact I did not know it was him (from long ago) until we started talking old HiFi. John worked at a HiFi shop in Wayne New Jersey back in the 70's (SQ and 4 channel stuff...JBL Century 100's, ELP, Yes, Pink Floyd) when I bought a Phase Linear 4000B Pre-Amp, Phase Linear 700B Amplifier and a pair of Ohm F's. He was there and I probably auditioned that gear with John although his name did not get on the receipt for that sale...his co-worker Bob did and this was back in 1976. Look at John now...owns his own High End Shop and what a collection of gear!!! John walked me through five or so rooms packed and I mean packed with wall-to-wall awesome gear! Wish I took the same route....we talked a lot, about three hours...turns out I also ran into him at the 2000 Audio show in NYC...in the Vandersteen room and then again in the Rogue Audio room. As you know Audio Connection sells Rogue Audio equipment also. I had to tell him that I used to work with Mark O'Brien the owner of Rogue Audio when we used worked at AT&T then Lucent Technologies. Mark left Lucent to continue to build Rogue as a full time passion. Turned out to be a good choice for Mark, especially since Lucent laid off just about everybody except the CEO! I thought John looked familiar!

I had just checked out some thread of yours with your which includes your newest addition...wow...stretched my lunch hour to almost an hour and a half. I have plans to purchase the same VPI Aries 3...massive drool to uncontrollable amounts with little or no effort whatsoever…nice set of pictures!

First an amplifier upgrade...then a garage for the hot rod, then the Turntable/cartiridge. Yes I also am a car enthusiast as well...a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 with a four speed and plenty of suspension upgrades...fast car and I love it! Never drag raced it yet but plan to run it a few times through the traps! I've been to Maple Grove a few times for the Super Chevy shows but only to show the car, not race. Also collect and run trains like you...do we know each other some how? Have we been to the same school or is this a new form of dejavu?

See you have an Audio Research there...was it the LS-26...Yeah that's on my wish list also but well after the amp, garage, TT. I like my LS-15 for now, sounds sweet but lacks the purity of the LS-26 which I auditioned with the PASS Labs x250.5 and Magies. Great sounding piece! Also could use the monitor selection for the surround processor.

As you know the PASS is class A but only for the first 35 watts or so, then it switches to AB. I think the combination LS-15, PASS x250.5, VPI Aries 3 and my ReQuests will be excellent, only to be surpassed by the LS-26 when I can get my hands on one. I'll try to check the Plinius out also. Thanks for chiming in, I always appreciate comments from others.

Sam

Babydoc, Thanks for the advise. I agree product support is very important. In fact I have had nothing but great experience from Jim at ML for the few times I contacted him for help. I will consider the same for future purchases as well. A decade is good news to my ears...sounding good so far!

I have the pass X-250 (for sale) and X-1 pre (for sale). I used them on Quests before getting Summits. They are great amps/preamps. Great SS combo. I think if you put a tube pre in the line it will be more magical. Good Luck! I am originally from NJ (paramus) and know of John. I almost bought a pair of Maggies from him berfore I bought my ML Quests.

Jtwrace,
Thanks for the input...I am really looking forward to the .5 series x250 a lot! It really left a huge impression on me. I plan to use my ARC LS-15 for the time being and think that Tube/SS combo will should work just fine until I can get through all my upgrades mentioned earlier.

Another Audio Connections customer...wow! I think you made a good move to NC, the cost of living in NJ is out of control. Perhaps I could afford better gear if I move out of this state...

hey Sam, good morning ! Audio nut, car gear head and a train guy .......wow !!! I thought I was the only nut case on the site with those passions !!! WELCOME !!

1970 Chevelle SS 454 ahhhhhhhh....know the car well, my neighbor owns the rarest of rare! A 1970 LS-6, M-22, convertible !! only 17 made, 8 of which Reggie Jackson had in his collection but lost half of them when he had the big fire.

Sold my race car('86 Monte SS) last year, everytime I'm at the "Grove" with buddies I miss it, deadly consistent low 10 sec car, trouble was the driver was not that consistent on the tree!

hey Sam, good morning ! Audio nut, car gear head and a train guy .......wow !!! I thought I was the only nut case on the site with those passions !!! WELCOME !!

Come on now Dave, we have talked about this already! I am RIGHT IN THERE with you guys as well!

6 Porsche's, a nice (though not fully set up) Lionel train set up! Come on...don't leave me out of this insanity! I am ALL IN BABY! :D

Jim, Dave, we must drink beer!:cheers:

Dave, now I wonder who the LS-6 owner is, I may know him (or her) from the old Chevelle clubs...NCOA National Chevelle Owners Association, ACES American Chevelle Enthusiats, CanAm Canadian American Chevelle Club or MCC Maryland Chevelle Club...sorry did not join with the PA Keystone Chevelle Club. You're right there are only a few around especially the ragtops with the LS-6 and a four speed. Barret Jackson Auction had a field day with those rare ones, way out of this world on prices!! My 70 is an LS-6 car but not an original LS-6...it came with the L-34 350 HP 396. I bought the LS-6 short block back in 84 through the Chevy dealer my Father works for. Had this car since 82, bought it from a guy in PA for $50.00 and spent four years restoring it with modifications along the way.

Jim your in!! Any of those Lionels remote control or are you strickly a pre and post war collector?

Add to this my enthusiasm for some upgrades to the Audio System..lets not forget that too! Anybody got any spare money tree seeds?

Come on now Dave, we have talked about this already! I am RIGHT IN THERE with you guys as well!

6 Porsche's, a nice (though not fully set up) Lionel train set up! Come on...don't leave me out of this insanity! I am ALL IN BABY! :D

sorry Jim, Forgot about your "trainitis" problem ! Tis a great disease to have !, it's gonna be so warm here this week I'm thinking about having a "steam-up" on my outdoor railroad.

Sam, I'll PM you with my neighbor that owns the LS-6.

Pass Labs x600.5

Hi -

I own the Pass Labs X600.5 with my Summits and I will tell you that I have never heard my Summits sing like they are currently singing. The are great from top to bottom. The speakers disappear in my room and I am totally engaged when listening. I hope this helps. Good luck on your search!

Thanks!

Diamonds,
Thanks for your input. I would assume for now that a PASS Labs is a PASS Labs...except that your .5 has a lot more power! Can't afford to go with a X600.5 however since the theory is in there wether its a x250.5 or an X600.5...I will believe!

Diamonds,
Thanks for your input. I would assume for now that a PASS Labs is a PASS Labs...except that your .5 has a lot more power! Can't afford to go with a X600.5 however since the theory is in there wether its a x250.5 or an X600.5...I will believe!

I think you will be very pleased with x250.5. I upgraded from the x250 to the x600.5 and they totally blow the x250 away. I hear also that the x250.5 is much better than the x250. Hope you decide to go with the Pass Labs you will be very satisfied!

I find this thread interesting. I own a X-250 and have for years. I even used it with ML Quests from day one. Also, have owned many other Nelson designed equipment. (ie threshold fet 10/e, T2, T3) With that said, when I called Pass to "upgrade" my 250....I was told BY Pass that yes it is "better" but not night and day. They actually recommended if anything go to the 350.5 With the sensitivity of the Summit it would be in Class A much longer. We all know what that means. SO???? Thoughts?

jt,
I plan to revisit Audio Connection again this coming week probably Thursday night to listen to the Pass Labs x250.5 once again. If and only IF John can come up with a reasonable payment plan...then maybe I will consider jumping up to the x350.5. Right now the way things are going for the x250.5, I would like to put down half and pay out the rest over the next three months. If the payment plan looks feasible for the x350.5 I would put down about 40% and spread the balance of the payments out 6 months or a bit longer...it's a $9000 Amp! I do like to listen to my music at a higher level and it sure would be nice to keep the amp in class A more than I would be able to with the x250.5. The ReQuests have a decent sensitivity at 90dB/2.83 volts/meter.

Jumping into pure class A Pass Labs amplification is just to cost prohibitive for me. And I do drool over those models! There are a set XA-100 and XA-160's on Audiogon but at 7.5, 8.5, and 10K it's much money for me to write out in one check!

My problem right now is that I don't have the dedicated listening room anymore...it was converted into our young daughters bedroom. So until we get that two car garage addition with a room above (for you know what)...I'll just hang in there.

Sam

Back