Analog Upgrades..... Joey and Dave !!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man... zero feedback.... not sure if this is a good business transaction.

This one seems a good deal and is in Illinois. Possible pick-up...

Oh man... zero feedback.... not sure if this is a good business transaction.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=600 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=2></TD></TR><TR><TD align=left bgColor=#ffcc33>[FONT=arial,geneva] Vpi Aries hrx platter [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1189779858

it might be worth checking out.

The trigger has been pulled !

I done did it ! Got a really superb deal on a Audio Research PH-5 along with a VPI SDS unit, should be here next week.

I'll post my ARC PH-3 here first just in case anyone is interested.

I done did it ! Got a really superb deal on a Audio Research PH-5 along with a VPI SDS unit, should be here next week.

OK Joey , I did my part, now when is your "black pizza" spinner going to arrive ????

Attachments

• IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 132
OK Dave, now that you are really beginning to enjoy your PH5 and SDS, let me freak you out by suggesting a couple of tweaks...Both the SDS and the PH5 respond well to aftermarket powercords. I have used API, PS Audio and ESP cords to great effect on both of these pieces. I am about to buy one last Shunyata Python for the PH5-yes I know the Python costs half of what a new PH5 costs but once heard you can never go back (and it is still cheaper than a PH7)! After reading Francisco Duran's outrageous and over the top review of the Hi Fi Tuning fuses I just had to try them for myself. Not really wishing to fully commit I called MLdom's good buddies at Acoustic Sounds and spoke to Clark who sent me a large 2A fuse for the PH5 and a large 5A fuse for the Ref3. Installed them today and I am sitting here slack jawed listening to my 180gm Dido LP. I had fully expected to post this in lugano's snake oil thread but folks this is the real deal. At 30+ bucks a pop plus shipping these are expensive as fuses go but cheap as hell as far as most tweaks go. Never have I spent so little and gained so much! Go to www.positive-feedback.com and read for yourself to which I can only add WHAT HE SAID! Now where are those Summit fuses?

Last edited:
Power cords ????? !!

Tony, Good morning, interesting observation on power cords. I guess I'm somewhat confussed as to how a power cord change on the SDS unit could have any audible effect ?? For its sole purpose is to provide a preciese pitch/speed control to the AC motor that is spinning the platter via a belt.

Hey Tony! You are SPOT ON, DUDE!!! more........

I agree, the SDS definitely "responds" in a very positive way to a well-designed aftermarket powercord. My main squeeze after much rotation is the Zu Audio Mother Mk2 cable.

I also recall that the Audio Research PH-3 improved tremendously with both the updated ARC powercord and also with a good aftermarket one. So I imagine that other "PH's" probably improve as well.

As far as the fuses, I offer a more practical alternative.
I tried these new fuses and indeed they make a positive difference, although I can't understand why. That said, the improvements they make are only equal to the improvements I hear when I apply Quicksilver Gold to the stock fuses. The reason I point this out is because Quicksilver Gold is truly one of these miracle products in that it makes improvements at all contact points. In some cases, very very dramatic improvements in spatial cues, reduction in noisefloor, detail, and high frequency liquidity.

I use this stuff on all fuses, internal and external, all RCA jacks and Plugs, AC cords and plugs, AC Outlet contacts, phono cartridge pins. After the initial "break-in/curing" period, the results are nothing short of breathtaking. They take your system to the next level. Not bad at all for a $140 total investment!

On the AV side of things, this stuff yields color saturation improvements that simply have to be seen to be believed!
Here's the website. I have dealt with Brian Kyle the owner/inventor a few times and he is very very helpful.
http://www.xtremecables.com/

Cheers,
Ray

I agree, the SDS definitely "responds" in a very positive way to a well-designed aftermarket powercord. My main squeeze after much rotation is the Zu Audio Mother Mk2 cable.
Cheers,
Ray

Ok Ray, as I asked Tony.......?????? How can it be ????? For if the strobe disc is ROCK STEADY with the stock power cord then where is there additional benefits to be had ???

Tony, Good morning, interesting observation on power cords. I guess I'm somewhat confussed as to how a power cord change on the SDS unit could have any audible effect ?? For its sole purpose is to provide a preciese pitch/speed control to the AC motor that is spinning the platter via a belt.

Dave I am not a smart enough man to answer your question! I only know what I hear. I was quite shocked myself when I tried it. So shocked that I tried several different powercords just to make sure I was not deluding myself. They all sounded different. Go figure! I even rechecked the strobe to make sure the cords were not changing the platter speed and they were not.

Last edited:

I also recall that the Audio Research PH-3 improved tremendously with both the updated ARC powercord and also with a good aftermarket one. So I imagine that other "PH's" probably improve as well.

As far as the fuses, I offer a more practical alternative.
I tried these new fuses and indeed they make a positive difference, although I can't understand why. That said, the improvements they make are only equal to the improvements I hear when I apply Quicksilver Gold to the stock fuses. The reason I point this out is because Quicksilver Gold is truly one of these miracle products in that it makes improvements at all contact points. In some cases, very very dramatic improvements in spatial cues, reduction in noisefloor, detail, and high frequency liquidity.

I use this stuff on all fuses, internal and external, all RCA jacks and Plugs, AC cords and plugs, AC Outlet contacts, phono cartridge pins. After the initial "break-in/curing" period, the results are nothing short of breathtaking. They take your system to the next level. Not bad at all for a $140 total investment!

On the AV side of things, this stuff yields color saturation improvements that simply have to be seen to be believed!
Here's the website. I have dealt with Brian Kyle the owner/inventor a few times and he is very very helpful.
http://www.xtremecables.com/

Cheers,
Ray[/Q

Ray, thanks for the heads up. I may need to try some of that stuff! In the meantime I think I might try some of the Walker Audio SST Extreme I found in my toy drawer.

Tony,
I started out with the Walker stuff.
By the way, chuck it if it has turned (oxidized). It could really mess things up.

The original Quicksilver beat the pants off the SST.

The Quicksilver Gold (silver and gold particles in a suspension), beat the heck out of the original Quicksilver!

Speed Control has nothing to do with it my friend...

Ok Ray, as I asked Tony.......?????? How can it be ????? For if the strobe disc is ROCK STEADY with the stock power cord then where is there additional benefits to be had ???

I wish I knew the definitive answer to that question, but I don't.

All I can say is that for some reason the last 3 feet of AC cord (wall outlet-to-component) can and does make a sonic difference. In fact, they have signatures as pronounced as interconnects! Why? I haven't got a clue, but my ears do not lie nor have they failed me yet.

I'll let you in on something that, conceptually, freaks me out.
There is a guy on the A'gon and AA forums that is an audio cable start-up. He asked me to try out his interconnect and powercord and later made me part of his Beta Test group.

The I/C's by the way, are very very good, but he has not discussed his target price. So it's too early to tell if they are a good value or not.

The powercord however, has some issues. it seemed a bit light in the bass. I have since tried 5 iterations of this cord with various "internal changes" (!?!?!) and they all sound different!!! Even though I gave in to the " no way can powercords make sonic differences" argument long ago, it still spooks me out when I see that there are guys out there that know the science behind it and can so handily "craft" the signature of a power cable!! :eek:

Oy! What else can I say? :banghead:

Cheers,
Ray

Dave you have not old us what you think about your new toys. Did you play with powercords on the SDS yet? Are raygunn and myself crazy? I finally got to listen to the PH5 today. The new fuse seems to make an even greater difference to the PH5 than the Ref3, or maybe the effects are cumulative. You should try one.:devil:

Dave you have not old us what you think about your new toys. Did you play with powercords on the SDS yet? Are raygunn and myself crazy? I finally got to listen to the PH5 today. The new fuse seems to make an even greater difference to the PH5 than the Ref3, or maybe the effects are cumulative. You should try one.:devil:

Tony, Actually have played but three or four LP's so far, been too busy, I do hope to get some more listening time in this week.

If I get the opportunity to experiment with power cords on the SDS I may down the road, but for now I want to establish what I percieve as my 'bench mark' sound so as to be able to distinguish any differences. I still can't see any reasonable logic in the power cord swap on the SDS if the stock cords keep the strobe disc rock steady.

The fuse idea along with Ray's treatment thoughts do sound interesting.

I wish I knew the definitive answer to that question, but I don't.

All I can say is that for some reason the last 3 feet of AC cord (wall outlet-to-component) can and does make a sonic difference. In fact, they have signatures as pronounced as interconnects! Why? I haven't got a clue, but my ears do not lie nor have they failed me yet.

Ray, while I can see the possibilities when this is applied to powering ones CD Player, pre-amp or amp, I still can't for the life of me see how this could happen in the situation of the SDS unit and the TT motor on my VPI ???

BTW, Interesting Beta cable testing you got yourself in on !!

Still looking folks... I keep getting beat by other buyers on audiogon! Apparently, I'm not checking religiously enough.

Stupid work schedule.

Joey :mad:

Back