Ampzilla2000 monoblocs just arrived

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
UPS just dropped off my new pair of Spread Spectrum Technologies Ampzilla2000 amps. They are packed very well. Now time to set them up and see how the CLS like'm.

Attachments

• amzilla2000_boxed.jpg
    amzilla2000_boxed.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 433
  • amzilla2000_unboxed.jpg
    amzilla2000_unboxed.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 431
WW, Now those look like a couple of "Groin Grabbers" for sure !!

Looking forward to your listening impressions !!

WW, Now those look like a couple of "Groin Grabbers" for sure !!

Looking forward to your listening impressions !!

Dave, no doubt! I hope he warms up at the gym with some deadlifts before moving those suckers around!

Yes, they are a bit stout. Without any break in or a long warm up period, they are very detailed and I've never had as much bottom end before. So, off to a good start.

Attachments

• amzilla2000_stand.jpg
    amzilla2000_stand.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 424
Plus you always get less distortion from a pair of mono amps not having to share the power supply....

Yes, they are a bit stout. Without any break in or a long warm up period, they are very detailed and I've never had as much bottom end before. So, off to a good start.

Congratulations to very nice amps. I really like the look of these amps.
How do they sound in your system?

Incredibly cool looking amps. I hope they sound as good as they look. If they are giving you lots of bottom end on a pair of CLS, then they must be pretty decent amps. Let us know how they sound as they break in on your system.

:bowdown: Really nice ...c'mon, tear yourself away from the music and tell us all how they sound.

Sweet monoblocks!! They're really cool looking. About how much do those things weigh each? And what's the power output? Congrats and enjoy!:)

Sweet monoblocks!! They're really cool looking. About how much do those things weigh each? And what's the power output? Congrats and enjoy!:)

I'm not sure of actual weight. Each box was 61 pounds, so take some away for packaging and they are around 50 pounds each. Here are the specs:

POWER OUTPUT
16 Ohms - minimum 100 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
8 Ohms - minimum 200 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
4 Ohms - minimum 400 watts 20Hz to 20kHz

Total T.H.D. & I.M. Distortion
4 to 16 Ohms less than .05% at any power level up to rated
at any frequency or combination of frequencies between 20Hz and 20kHz.

Input Impedance and Sensitivity
1 volt R.M.S. across 50kohms for 200 watts into 8 ohms on the unbalanced input.
(note: the impedance value can be adjusted to any value up to 1 megohm-consult the factory)
+/- 1 volt R.M.S. across +/- 70kohms for 200 watts into 8 ohms on the balanced input.
Input selector switch for balanced or unbalanced

Frequency response and power bandwidth at rated power
8 ohms - better than +/- .2 dB 20Hz to 20kHz
4 ohms - better than +/- .3 dB 20Hz to 20kHz

Stability
100 % stable into any load angle 0 to 90 degrees,
capacitive or inductive, regardless of waveshape

Damping factor
Greater than 250 at 20Hz

Noise
Better than -120dB relative to full rated power

Wow, what cool looking amps! I look forward to your final impressions after everything is broken in and settled down.

I'm not sure of actual weight. Each box was 61 pounds, so take some away for packaging and they are around 50 pounds each. Here are the specs:

POWER OUTPUT
16 Ohms - minimum 100 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
8 Ohms - minimum 200 watts 20Hz to 20kHz
4 Ohms - minimum 400 watts 20Hz to 20kHz

Total T.H.D. & I.M. Distortion
4 to 16 Ohms less than .05% at any power level up to rated
at any frequency or combination of frequencies between 20Hz and 20kHz.

Input Impedance and Sensitivity
1 volt R.M.S. across 50kohms for 200 watts into 8 ohms on the unbalanced input.
(note: the impedance value can be adjusted to any value up to 1 megohm-consult the factory)
+/- 1 volt R.M.S. across +/- 70kohms for 200 watts into 8 ohms on the balanced input.
Input selector switch for balanced or unbalanced

Frequency response and power bandwidth at rated power
8 ohms - better than +/- .2 dB 20Hz to 20kHz
4 ohms - better than +/- .3 dB 20Hz to 20kHz

Stability
100 % stable into any load angle 0 to 90 degrees,
capacitive or inductive, regardless of waveshape

Damping factor
Greater than 250 at 20Hz

Noise
Better than -120dB relative to full rated power

50 lbs is still pretty hefty for a monoblock. Wow the specs on them are very impressive. 400 watts rated output is pretty powerful. And they're stable into any load, very cool. Like the rest, I am also curious on your thought of how they sound with your setup. Thanks for sharing the info.:)

Seth

Congrats on the new amps. I'd like to hear your impressions of them once you get more mileage on them.

They sure do look cool in the rack.

A little update on the amps. They have excellent imaging with the CLS. As I said before the bass is improved. The high end is crisp without being edgy. These are very musical amplifiers with power to spare. They did an excellent job with E. Power Biggs' presentation of Bach's Toccata and Fuge in D Minor. This can be a very demanding recording with the pipe organ's range and dynamics. Yet the amps still handle the soft vocals of Krall, Peyroux and Jones with delicate intimacy. The CLS are still not rock the house speakers but then thats not what they were meant for.

FYI -
The Ampzillas were designed by James Bongiorno, the same guy who had a hand in designing the Dyna 400, and many other components with which some of you are familiar.

When I was first beginning my trek thru the muddy trails of our hobby, I saw a review of the original Ampzilla as a re-print. The original review was from the fifth issue (I'm almost sure) of the Absolute Sound. Harry Pearson loved the sound of the amp. To make matters even tastier, the amp was available as a kit for about 400 bucks. Of course, I bought one. Assembling this thing was a matter of total frustration, but when I finally plugged it in, it worked!

Until I heard the sound of tubes I used the original Ampzilla as my everyday amp. I had it paired with a Dyna PAS and later a GAS (Great American Sound - Bongiorno's original company) Thoebe preamp. I still have it today!

Nice pair of amps! Definitely a looker! I've heard the name ampzilla before, but I haven't auditioned one in person. Let us know how you like it as time passes on....

Joey :)

Latest posts

Back