Amp Overkill?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tegan512,

I'm with Cherian and the others on this matter. I am currently running a pair of Carver Silver 7t monoblocks with my Sequels. The S7T is rated at producing 575wpc into 8ohms, 900wpc into 4ohms, and 1000wpc into 2 ohms. I think they sound delightful, and I've never once run out of steam, even at "knocking stuff off the walls" volumes. In fact, I don't ever recall having the meters on my Silver 7t's over about 1 o'clock, even at near-pain-inducing volumes...

Remember, more speakers get toasted from too LITTLE amplification, not too much. The Sound of the CArver S7t is not for everyone--they have the warmth of tubes, the speed and precision of Krells, and the distinctive "personality" of Carver amps. If you like th esound, the Silver 7t is a great amp, and although rare, they can usually be found used for under $1500/pair.

And as far as current, I'll vouch for the S7t without hesistation. I actually arc-welded the spades on a set of Monster Cable M-1's back inb the day by accident. The Carvers didn't just melt the gold plating on the spades--they actually melted the cooper cores together. I couldn't get them apart with pliers, and had to take them back to the dealer and have them cut off and re-terminated, but that is a whole different story... :sad:

The Sunfire amps are another great amp that can often be had for bargain prices. Both the Carvers and the Sunfire amps deliver a TON of power AND current, and are stable into extremely tough tloads like the low-ohm loads presented by ML speakers. I don't think you woul dgo wrong with either brand.

Remember, with speakers like MLs, it's ALL about CURRENT. Watts per channel can be a very dicey rating, because every manufacturer seems to have their own method for arriving at their numbers, but there is no way to fudge the current ratings.

Back