Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Thread: The DON / redux

In Alabama this was quite an event, but only because Roy Moore is a contemptible person. Any less tarnished GOP candidate would have won. There were defections from moderate republicans, a lot of republicans stayed home and didn't vote and democrats voted in force. I don't expect a repeat in 6 years, but that is 6 years.

Add to that Trump's enforcement of him, and Trump's recent comments about professional women sleeping their way to the top and Trump's approval ratings are almost as low as they've ever been.

I don't think Trump will attempt re-election, but I hope he does.

Name:  trumpapprovalrating.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  35.5 KB
    Last edited by RCHeliGuy; Today at 02:46 AM.

Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Quote Originally Posted by RCHeliGuy View Post
    In Alabama this was quite an event, but only because Roy Moore is a contemptible person. Any less tarnished GOP candidate would have won. There were defections from moderate republicans, a lot of republicans stayed home and didn't vote and democrats voted in force. I don't expect a repeat in 6 years, but that is 6 years.
    One of the Republican operatives in the state said it best. To paraphrase: “we could have picked any random republican out of the phone book and won this race by a large margin, but we got stuck with the one candidate who couldn’t manage to win in deep red Alabama.”

Oh, and unfortunately it’s not six years. This was a special election to fill the remainder of A.G. Jeff Sessions’ seat, so he will be up for re-election in 2020.

I am disgusted that the vote was as close as it was. Just shows how indoctrinated evangelicals are in the concept of party before country. We constantly ask how we end up with such slime balls in government. Well, here you go. We elect them because people can’t think for themselves and make reasonable value judgments instead of just party line voting.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Whew!! Thought it was going to be a repeat of the Detroit mayoral race.

Maybe there is hope.

At least we could wake up this morning with a feeling of hope. It's been so long, it's almost something new.

Bob Corker said some positive things about this election and how the Senate will be happy not to deal with someone like him and what he would bring with him.

Then of course he got attacked by Trump supporters who still don't realize that we are in the middle of what will likely go down as the worst presidency in recent history if not all of history.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gray View Post

Maybe there is hope.
    Maybe. Then again I recently read an interesting article that explained how humanity has peaked and is now on the decline.

Sadly when people are angry and don't trust any reputable source of information they are VERY easily manipulated.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RCHeliGuy View Post
    Sadly ... people ... are VERY easily manipulated.
    Fixed that for you, Mark.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Holy $hit!!! We did it. Deep red, solidly conservative Alabama elected a democrat to the U.S. Senate! I honestly never believed it would happen. Donít give us too much credit though. Over half a million people still voted for the racist, misogynist, Bible-thumping Roy Moore. Doug Jones only won by a little over 10,000 votes with a total of more than 1.2 million votes cast. So 49% of the state still had no problem with Moore. Thatís rather sickening.

Hereís the interesting thing. There were over 22,000 write-in votes. I guarantee every one of those were republicans who simply couldnít hold their nose (and morals) and vote for Moore. Had they done so, it would have swayed the election the other way. So kudos to those conservatives with a conscience.

This race will have national implications. Moore was supported by Trump and Bannon, but not by McConnell and the Washington establishment. Thatís a win for the establishment in the fight for the soul of the Republican Party, which will have serious repercussions in the 2018 midterm elections. And in the meantime, the Republican majority in the senate is razor thin. The chances of the dems taking back the Senate in 2018 just went up tremendously.
    Congrats!! Time for a recount... must have been China hackers changing the vote ... I'm gonna have a 'cry in' or better yet lets go riot and break stuff!!! Just kidding.

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gray View Post

Maybe there is hope.
    Whoa whoa whoa!! The D?? Is it global consensus that the fix was in when Kwame got re-elected ? I always thought so - he was down by 5 points on the eve of the election. But I had never heard anyone speak of it.

Quote Originally Posted by timm View Post
    Congrats!! Time for a recount... must have been China hackers changing the vote ... I'm gonna have a 'cry in' or better yet lets go riot and break stuff!!! Just kidding.
    You joke, but Moore hasn’t conceded the race and is asking for a recount. The State said no problem, as long as he is willing to pay for it (because it is outside of the margin that would automatically trigger a recount).
    Rich

Super User

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You joke, but Moore hasnít conceded the race and is asking for a recount. The State said no problem, as long as he is willing to pay for it (because it is outside of the margin that would automatically trigger a recount).
    I wouldn't have expected less. . No reason for the high road now!!

My guess would be that many of the, as you call them "bible-thumping voters could not bring themselves to vote for or allow a senator that believes that there is nothing wrong with letting a child begin the birthing process and then be killed by having it's spinal cord and brain ripped apart.

Not a Roy Moore supporter but the accusation of sex with a 14 year old 30+ years ago, as apposed to a person that is fine with murdering babies might need to be thrown in the mix.