The next generation of ML forum contributors

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed reading your many posts over the years!
But Gordon.... you just can't leave until after you help me run speaker wires under my crawl space and through the floors of my new home. JK :)

Gordon, i think you eloquently expressed the feelings of a lot of old timers on the forum. I am not posting near as much lately, either. For a lot of the same reasons you expressed.

Then again, I also have to notice that ML hasn't been coming out with any mind-blowing new products lately to generate a lot of discussion on the forum. Ultimately, the engagement in the forum has to come from a passion for the brand. And they haven't been giving us much to be passionate about lately. But that's another discussion . . .

By the way . . . I'm coming to visit you this summer!

Gotta wonder about these type of thoughts as it appears this thread is headed in that direction. As one of the "next generation" yet a site member since 07, I am kinda stuck in the middle. I deleted all my thoughts on my first post as I needed to sit and think before saying something that could be taken out of context.

I disagree with you Rich...I made the leap and bought my first ever new set of ML's..a nice black ash set of Theos. I went without for a few years during several periods, thus my lost post count but a join date of 2007. I do agree ML isn't releasing any "mind blowing" new products but them again most of us can't afford anything mind blowing they might put out anyways. Hell buying new Theos wouldn't have happened for me if Magnolia didn't have a 3 years same as cash special going currently. To me, owning factory fresh truly is mind blowing for a single dad that doesn't make a ton of money. Some of the budgets you guys have is what blows my mind lol. I think with the bad economy, very few companies can expend the resources to attempt "mind blowing" right now.

You "old timers" sometimes do post up threads that give us "whippersnappers" something to ponder. Don't get upset when someone breaks the cardinal rule of not using the search button. Your time and experience are appreciated and welcomed. Tom...you hit it on the head...people who have bought the newer ML products are coming over to get the inside dirt from this forum. I've been off n on four times already!

Of course Gordon!

And of course, we all know (and I'm sure we all agree on) how infuriating the incessant string of "what amp should I buy" threads are.

Maybe a site suggestion would be to move these to a separate section?

There they can sit, along with "what colour shirt should I wear today" and "Should I have chicken or beef on my next flight" threads.

Good example...why get "infuriated" over something silly like this? It's an internet forum and sometimes people don't know how to search or don't know to look elsewhere for common topics. After I pmed you, I checked the "which amp should I buy thread"..and it had less than 20 threads. Last time I checked, there were a few more than 20 amps out there. Your response to me was you "have to go listen for yourself." Good idea in principle, but some of us have no high end audio dealers within many hours. I think my closest dealer would be Nashville, which is 3 hours away. That is basically one dealer with limited brands. Atlanta would be my next closest but 4.5 hours I can't do. I got into ML in the first place by reading online reviews and recommendations from people just like you all. Everything I have right now save for my TV was bought sight unseen, sound unheard based on recommendations off this site.

Enough rambling..basic idea though is take a deep breath next time, don't get upset, and remember there are people on here that actually listen to what you are saying, even if you have said it more than a few times :)

Gordon, as the timeless lyrics of The Who say,''...it is a stage of life and it will go away." I have become very intetrested in photography for the last 18 months and have invested money which I otherwise would have upgraded my electronics/speakers. Yet, I still visit these pages and admire ML and other fine audio brands.

After I pmed you, I checked the "which amp should I buy thread"..and it had less than 20 threads.

Hey - it's not like that at all.......you've got that wrong. You asked a targeted question to a targeted person (about Classé), and I had no problem with that. I offered you many recommendations, and I hope they were of use to you :) But I did responsibly qualify by saying that my opinions may not meet your needs and for that you will need to listen for yourself.

why get "infuriated" over something silly like this?

It is not the lack of use of "search" that is infuriating - it is the basic philosophy that some people ask personal advice to strangers on the internet when they can, as well as should, make those decisions for themselves.

Everything I have right now save for my TV was bought sight unseen,

With respect, (at the level of cost involved here), I see this as gambling. I don't have a problem with buying things sight-unseen - When I buy a shirt (say) I know the size, colour, fit, material, etc I am getting. But audio equipment is vastly different. With audio, you are paying huge sums of money for subtle differences that can only be heard. Basically, even with all the photos and descriptions in the world, you don't know what you're getting other than a box that can deliver "X" watts.

For $40 you can buy a "box that will deliver X watts".

When you're spending $2,000 on a Musical Fidelity A300, the only extras you are getting for your money is differences in sound quality. If you have not heard it then you have no idea what you are buying. That - is gambling with $2,000 (or $1960 anyway, as you're still getting the $40 box).

Last edited:
When you're spending $2,000 on a Musical Fidelity A300, the only extras you are getting for your money is differences in sound quality. If you have not heard it then you have no idea what you are buying. That - is gambling with $2,000 (or $1960 anyway, as you're still getting the $40 box).

Hey I got the box for free...I just had to pay for the amp :)

(and why make personal decisions when we have you guys to do it for us lol)

TheDude is signing off? Bahh humbug. :). Gordon thanks for some of your posts ,tips, suggestions. Good luck and Stay young!!! Tim.

As stated in the opening scene of Monty Python's "the Holy Grail" aka "Bring your Dead",

I'm not quite dead yet.

The Dude abides.

GG

As stated in the opening scene of Monty Python's "the Holy Grail" aka "Bring your Dead",

I'm not quite dead yet.

The Dude abides.

GG
LONG LIVE THE DUDE!

Gordon, you'll have to stick around to respond to comments on this thread, if nothing else :)

Back