The next generation of ML forum contributors

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi all,

I find myself somewhat at a loss and a personal turning point.

I've participated in this forum for a number of years and have thoroughly enjoyed the discussion of ML products and other audio / non audio topics. As some may know I, like others, have migrated to other speakers. I also recognize that I'm not familiar with the current ML models and the issues thereof.

I also must recognize that repetitive questions / threads about what amplifier, what cables, what room treatment, what speaker position, what whatever seem to come up again and again. That's a good thing but for me, it's become quite redundant and no longer of interest. I really do wish folks would use the "search" function but that's another discussion.

I've tried, much to Dave's chagrin, to introduce new "off" topics for discussion. These discussions have also digressed into a very predictable pattern.

I do wish the ML Forum the best but I'm afraid I have little to contribute moving forward.

I will continue to "monitor" and will add my "2 cents" as appropriate.

I have found no other audio website that offers the "value" that this forum provides.

I wish to thank all of you for our past discussions.

And needless to say, thank you Tom.

Best,

Gordon

Last edited:
No. Just an honest assessment of my feelings with the hope that you and others will continue to make this forum the best place to post.

Thank you for your concern.

GG

Well you know it really does not matter what new speakers of the line are on the shelf Gordon, a stat panel is stat panel. I think the more seasoned audiophiles like yourself know more than any of us newbies ever will therefore your insight is very very valuable and your words carry great weight in audio. As far as the search bar goes I think my A.D.D generation want instant information so we ask the questions that you have answered and have answered a thousand times.

Dear Gordon,

I have only owned ML's and been active on this forum for roughly half a year. In this short time, however, I have enjoyed your replies to audio related threads started by myself and others, and I have enjoyed following your off-topic threads as well. Disregarding that you are no longer an ML owner, I find that your posts are an asset to this forum. People with "pedigree" such as yourself, Roberto, Rick, Tom and numerous others give this forum a very high standard.

I wish you many joyful hours with audio - with or without this forum.

Cheers,
Jesper

A long time ago Dan (formerly DTB300) once remarked that once you graduate from the stock receiver and speakers from the big box stores and move into dedicated amps, rooms, etc with better speakers...that's where a lot of the magic takes place.

AFTER that (or rather after you drop 2-5k on MLs and some decent electronics) there are diminishing returns. That's probably why you see the same threads popping up over and over. I think it's reasonable to spend a few grand breaking into this hobby and enjoying all of the fun and I think that's where the majority of the posts come from - new enthusiasts and/or people who recently purchased ML speakers and are looking for suggestions.

We don't often come across questions from a 20 year 'seasoned' vet in this hobby agonizing over which Boulder amp works the best in his 3rd audio room that only his 7 year old son will use.

Still, you are/were one of the few people who posted fairly often. I want to say you were posting even when I signed up in 2007. Please continue to visit us every now and then and poke your head under the tent.

Erik

Hey Gordon,
I know what you mean... I'm not posting as much as I used to either, but read a lot of the posts still and am glad the owners of the newer ML offerings find their way here for support and camaraderie. Happy lurking, buddy! :)

Good luck to you, Gordon. We'll see you around I hope. I would like to mention that I appreciate your past insight on this site. Especially your Off-Topic contributions. I think we share the same views on a range of topics. The thing about you, Gordon, is that your having earned respect and credibility on this forum enabled you to broach uncomfortable issues when others, such as myself, would not feel comfortable bringing them up. I appreciate that as well.

julian

Post Script: How many times do you need to answer the same question about the same subject? Well, he average human has a terrible memory, so add your zeros.

Good topic Gordon. I find myself in the same boat. I check this site regularly, as it feels like my home on the internet. I find I'm mostly in lurk mode these days however, but will continue to check in from time to time and will hopefully have something to contribute.

Last edited:
Agreed Steve et al for your comments, understanding and support.

Maybe I'm feeling a bit unsettled due to menopause.

Regardless and thanks to all of you, this is my favorite site and the only one I wish to post on.

I will stay active when something new and interesting appears.

Best,

Gordon

Best,

Gordon

Gordon........are you telling me I need to 'stir the pot' ?

On the serious side I understand, look at it this way, it's another way of saying you are mighty content and happy with your present set up, as am I, so at this time it's more important to 'enjoy the music' !!

I'm not as enthusiastic as I was but I still like to post... take a break for a while, Gordon, maybe. Remember neither of us own MLs anymore so it is only natural to feel a little more disconnected from this particular forum than you used to.

This is a quiet forum comparitively but there does seem to be a good "virtual bond" between some of the members that has lasted some years. Long may it continue:rocker:

Agreed Steve et al for your comments, understanding and support.

Maybe I'm feeling a bit unsettled due to menopause.

Regardless and thanks to all of you, this is my favorite site and the only one I wish to post on.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon , I understand you're feelings. While I rarely agreed with your off -topic views I always respected that you kept it civil even when others ( including me ) got a bit heated. You are a class act and a gentleman! I always enjoyed and learned from your audio posts .

Have a nice vacation and come back well rested.

Larry

Gordon, i think you eloquently expressed the feelings of a lot of old timers on the forum. I am not posting near as much lately, either. For a lot of the same reasons you expressed.

Then again, I also have to notice that ML hasn't been coming out with any mind-blowing new products lately to generate a lot of discussion on the forum. Ultimately, the engagement in the forum has to come from a passion for the brand. And they haven't been giving us much to be passionate about lately. But that's another discussion . . .

By the way . . . I'm coming to visit you this summer!

Best,

Gordon

I understand, however I don't see it this way.

As someone who has gained a lot of knowledge from this site, I see it as my duty to perpetuate this knowledge.

There are two sides to a forum - information "requesting" people, and information "giving" people.

The forum needs both to be successful.

Adam,

Almost sounds like a Spock quote from Star Trek.

One of my favorite Spock lines from Star Trek Two I believe.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

In any event, I agree with the spirit and intent of your post.

I thank everyone for their kind comments. I didn't start this thread in search of self adulation and anyone who knows me knows the opposite is true.

I was hoping, and maybe should have initially stated, for suggestions on how to "amp" Forum interest for newer members as well as the old and encrusted.

Maybe this thread will encourage such a conversation.

Gordon

I didn't start this thread in search of self adulation and anyone who knows me knows the opposite is true.

Of course Gordon!

And of course, we all know (and I'm sure we all agree on) how infuriating the incessant string of "what amp should I buy" threads are.

Maybe a site suggestion would be to move these to a separate section?

There they can sit, along with "what colour shirt should I wear today" and "Should I have chicken or beef on my next flight" threads.

Back