Telarc still committed to SACD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass this along to those of us in the digital world who enjoy SACD's.

Michael Bishop, recording engineer from Telarc comments on DSD recordings and the SACD format:

"Lastly, SACD could disappear today and we'd still be recording in the DSD format. It's simply the best way to record our masters, even if no one else cared."

"As can be told by the recent announcement of 15 new Telarc/HeadsUp SACD releases (so far) in 2007, both Telarc and HeadsUp are committed to releasing our top projects on SACD. We don't see the format going away any time soon!"

-------------end of quotes.....

This makes two lables who continue to support the SACD format. Chesky label announced in 2006 that all their new releases would be in SACD format.

While SACD is still not taking over the world in terms of the "prefered" format, it is still hanging around for those of us that enjoy the benefits of a well recorded SACD. And to have two great labels in Telarc and Chesky still use it, is great news for us in the SACD camp.

Dan

Dan,

That's very good news. I recently read, but can't recall the company that said they too are going to continue producing SACD players. On the flip side, MF said they thought it was a dead format...hope they are proved wrong.

And hopefully, I'll be able to join this camp soon. I'm thinking about getting a quality DVD player which will read that format.

Last edited:
Would you say that SACD is a better quality recording than a DVD Audio version? Or does it really depend on the specific disc?
Thanks

Would you say that SACD is a better quality recording than a DVD Audio version? Or does it really depend on the specific disc?
I have only had both SACD and DVD-A for a little while, so my comments are from a very short time frame and the few DVD-A's that I owned which are now gone from my collection when I sold my player. The DVD-A by Steely Dan - Everthing Must Go, was a very good recording, but there was not a SACD to compare against. Compared to the RBCD, it was better sounding.

But I would agree with your comment, the original recording and mastering has a lot to do with how well the final product comes out - independant of the format. You cannot make Chicken Salad from Chicken Poop.

I have some very good sounding RBCD and some crap sounding RBCD. Same with SACD's. But, most of the time, the SACD layer is an improvement over the RBCD layer in a hybrid - not I said "most of the time"

Dan

Dan, good news! While I'm a comitted vinyl junkie I also try to buy SACD whenever I can find titles that intrigue me. I think Channel Classics and Hyperion are also committed to the format.

As others here and elsewhere have stated SACD seems to cater more to jazz and classical listeners, with other genres showing very little activity. I wish this were not so, but if you are a classical music person I will add that I recently picked up the most current issue of Grammaphone magazine. I'd always glanced through it, but never purchased one to look at in depth. As I was reading it I was pleasently surprized at the number of classical itles that continue to come out on SACD. Of this current issue I'd say that nearly 40% of the titles reviewed were released on SACD - many on labels I'm not familiar with, but that are none the less available via the ususal internet suppliers.

Lot's of good new SACD releases still to come I hope.

Conversely - to marck's question related to DVD-A, I'm sorry to say that the same issue of Grammophone makes no mentions of DVD-A releases, nor does it even recognize the format in their legend of recording formats.

Dan, good news! While I'm a comitted vinyl junkie I also try to buy SACD whenever I can find titles that intrigue me. I think Channel Classics and Hyperion are also committed to the format.
If you like Channel Classics, also try some from Pentatone, which is currently my favorite label for Classical. Note that I am a real newbie to Classical with SACD and MCH recordings aiding in my new found genre.

Dan

This is fantastic news!

Sugarmedia - there is a LOT to enjoy about the SACD format!
I'm with you. I own several SACD's now and do notice the sound improvement over normal RBCD. Here's a quote taken from an SACD site..trust me, I hear the benefits:

"A hybrid disc contains two discrete layers of data, the top layer of data is Red Book audio compatible with existing CD players and the bottom layer is the SACD layer where the high-resolution DSD data is stored. Loading a hybrid disc into a traditional CD player, the bottom layer is ignored and the disc is played as a 16-bit/44.1 kHz Audio-CD (even the standard CD layer of the SACD benefits from the DSD technology, during the down-converting through the Sony Super Bit Mapping Direct process, the CD layer keeps much of the smooth, analog-like quality of the DSD recording)."

If you like Channel Classics, also try some from Pentatone, which is currently my favorite label for Classical. Note that I am a real newbie to Classical with SACD and MCH recordings aiding in my new found genre.

Dan

Dan, yes, should have mentioned them too. I do have a few of the Pentatone releases which are great as you already know. In that Grammaphone issue I mentioned they have an entire page devoted to 8 or 10 of the very newest Pentatone reissues - so I'll be getting more!

Genesis on SACD

Music Direct is taking preorders on the Genesis back catalogue being issued in SACD/CD along with DVD's. Yeah, music on SACD I might actually enjoy!

Music Direct is taking preorders on the Genesis back catalogue being issued in SACD/CD along with DVD's. Yeah, music on SACD I might actually enjoy!
The Genesis releases on SACD have been talked about for over a year now. I am going to wait on the pre-order myself, as I am taking the stance of "believing it when I see it" :D I do see the sites are listing March 26th as a release date. Time will only tell.

I am a "Peter Gabriel" Genesis fan (Trick of the Tail is the last Genesis album that I liked), so the releases will be great once they come out. I hope they do not mess up the MCH mix by putting too much in the surround channels.

Dan

Last edited:
I am guessing you already have Peter Gabriel's solo SACD's. My favorite is So.

I liked that one too - but ultimately prefer the "Security" title. My favorite tracks are "Rhythm of the Heat" and "San Jacinto". Love that heavy drum work...

Genesis ? Count me in as a big fan. I have most of them on LP... favourite song is probably "Supper's ready" - a quintessence of their innovative music and wording. I also have some Steve Hackett and Tony Banks solo albums...and of course everything Peter Gabriel ever cared to release. But I don't think that the master tapes can give more than already given - even if released on SACD. The Peter Gabriel Genesis time frame has been recorded by drunk people and is miles away from anything audiophile, IMHO. Misplaced microphones, poor eq, distortions, you name it.

Back