I lost a Buddy today

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
To those of us who knew him, Harry Kalas was, the heart and soul of the Philadelphia Phillies. As some may know we lost an Icon in Philly today, a man who I had the pleasure of meeting on several occasions, one of the best voices in all of sports, Harry, IMO, was simply the best. He was the voice of the Phillies since 1971, Notre Dame football and only the second man (the other a Philly guy as well, John Facenda) to be the voice of NFL films.

Even if you weren't a sports nut Harry's voice was used in many a narative and if you were to hear it, it would be very identifiable.

He wasn't quite the same after his long time side kick 'Whitey' (former Philly legend Richie Ashburn) passed away a few years back. My memories of Harry go back to High school and College back in the early seventies, listening to him call a game on a warm summers evening was as good as it got. I introduced my two boys to baseball through the voice of Harry Kalas. His memorable call of Michael Jack Schmidt's 500th is something I'll never forget as well. The induction of Schmidt and Ashburn into the Hall in '95. I was there with boys by my side.

My appoligies gents for carrying on............Harry, tonites martini and macanudo were in your honor..... RIP my friend.

Last edited:
There was a touching tribute by Pat Huges, the Cubs radio play-by-play (WGN 720 AM) and a moment of silence during the opening day festivities at Wrigley Field.

He is a legend, Dave. When I was at Villanova I listened to many a Phillie game with Harry at the helm.

Back