Hello im new here AEONS please help!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazher

Reaction score
hi im aquiring a set of aeons and im like every other newby but what amp and what wires? ive been doing so much research its crazy! and still no answers! I might be able to come into a sonance amp for a price i cant refuse i belive its a 5150. And will monster cable suffice for wiring or is monster a bad word around here? im pretty budget concious. Im also running a denon 4306 right now to a set of montages and a fresco center channel. focals for the rear. im going to soon sell those and do a set of tickets though. That damn fresco got me hooked on martin logans like a crack addiction!! but my aeons are going to be my first esl and ive only heard one oher pair and i was hooked!

Good luck with your new system. Yes, Monster is a very bad word on this site and for very good reasons.

GG

Not only is monster cable overpriced for what you get, but they have very ruthless and shady business practices. Please don't support them if you don't have to.

For quality, reasonably priced cables, consider Blue Jeans Cable.

As for the Sonance, I can't give you any advice because I am unfamiliar with them. There is a ton of information on this forum regarding amps that work well with Martin Logans. Spend a lot of time reading through old posts and using the search feature and that should get you started. Look for a quality, high-current amplifier that doubles its wattage output with a halving of impedence. For value per dollar, consider going used.

I use White Zombie Audio pure silver interconnects for all my hookups except preamp to monoblocks, which is a long run of Black Mountain pure silver balanced ICs. Compared to other "big name" brand pure silver interconnects, White Zombie and Black Mountain are a steal. Their build quality is very good, and they sound fantastic (in my system), especially the balanced ones. They are going to cost a little more than BlueJeans low-end, but are pretty much on par with their high end ICs, price-wise, plus if you dig the sound of silver ICs, they sound great, especially if you are using tubes in your rig, or have amps that are on the "warm-sounding" side.

I use Nordost Solar Winds for my main speakers (front R/L, and center). I think that Nordost speaker cables are a VERY good match for Martin Logans--they are "fast sounding", match well with many amps (as long as the amps are "high-current" amps), and have a very open, airy, and dimensional sound to them. If you can get them used, they are a great value. New, they are pricey, even their "low end" line, and unless you're pretty well-off, they can be cost prohibitive. Nordost cables are sort of like Martin Logan speakers--they tend to magnify the sound of your up-stream system, and are VERY revealing. If your system is a little dry or clinical sounding, Nordost speaker cables will make it sound more-so. If you rrig is on the warm side, They will make it sound lush. If your rig is revealing and well balanced, Nordost cables will bring out even more details. At least that is my experience...

White Zombie has a website, but I usually get my cables from their EBAY store.

I get Black Mountain Cables from their store on Audiogon.

Nordosts, I get used where I can. The set I have, I got from another member of this Forum, who lived about 30 minutes away when I lived in Baltimore...

When I first got into audio, I had a LOT of Monster Cable in my system. I've since some to my senses, and have removed ALL Monster products from my main 5.1 system, and only use Monster (I have a box of it) for wiring up "secondary" systems, like in the guest room, the dining room, and in my workshop, but even that is getting replaced slowly with better-sounding (and more reasonably-priced) stuff. I pretty much feel the same about Monster Cable as I do about Micro$oft products--they are the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the consumer market, and owe 95% of their popularity to good marketing and crafty, duplicitous salesmen, and almost none of their success to actual cost/performance factors. The only Monster products I have that are worth a damn are a VERY short (1.75 meter pair) set of old (maybe 15 years old) Monster M-1 speaker cables. They actually sound pretty good, but nowhere near as good as my Nordosts...

As with all opinions on such things like cables, YMMV (Your Mileage Ma Vary). If you know folks who have cables you are interested in, try and loan them for a week or so and try them out first. Remember, trust your ears!

--Richard

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with the original monster sigma M cables? These are the cables from the 80's that are over an inch thick and came in a black suitcase. I find these pretty good as i got these used cheap, but otherwise I hate all other monster cable.

Yes, Monster is a very bad word on this site and for very good reasons.

GG

Flame Suit on.

Let me first say I'm not the audiophile most on this site are.
But I use Monster Cable and Monster Products and have no complaints.
When installing my system I bought 2 rolls of Monster Cable rated for in wall installation,(ran the cables through the walls to keep the wife happy), and have had no problems over the last 3+ years.

I also have the AVS2000 voltage stabilizer, which went out on me and Monster replaced for no charge and even payed shipping.

I also have their HTS 5100 HT power center and just Sunday it went out on me, I pressed the reset button on the back and still nothing. I called Monster Monday when I got home from work and was on hold less than a minute before speaking to a tech. He told me to shift all the switched switches to unswitched and press the reset button again. I explained to him that the unit was in a rack and I couldn't get to the switches at that moment. I asked him if there was anything else I could do if that didn't work. He asked me when I bought the unit and I told him February 2005, he told me not to worry if that didn't fix the problem to call back and they would ship me another one since it has a 5 year warrenty. But it did work and I'm back in business.

My expierence with Monster has been very good.

Flame Suit off

Latest posts

Back