Drmrsdad says hello!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmrsdad

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just a little about me and maybe some advice and information from some of the Forumers here.
My Name is Frank and it's been.... Oh sorry wrong Forum:ROFL:

Well where do I start. I'm music nut, I love it all and up until about 3 years ago I've always wanted a really good sound system. I've always had mid level sound systems including a plastic Close and Play phonograph my dad bought me when I was 10 along with The Beatles let I Be album, which I still own, The Album that is! I Had a Kenwood Rack sytem I bought from a deptartment store when I first got married in 1986 and it lasted for well over 20 years. When I got divorced, the sound system went with the Ex and I decided to buy myself something for my "Bachelor Pad"

I bought a pair of ML Montage tower speakers, a Denon 1907 A/V Reciever and a Denon DVD/CD player. I love my speakers and have been slowly saving up to upgrade the Receiver and add a Turntable.

Fastforward 2 years later and I'm engaged, Yeah I know, DON"T DO IT!!! But she's freakin amazing!:rocker:
We just bought a new home and are putting some final touches on some improvements before we move in. I walked into my local Best Buy last week and low and behold they were clearing out some older model ML speakers.
I knew the salesman as he was the guy who sold me the Montage/Denon/Denon a couple of years ago, he called me with an offer they were having that wasn't advertised and I could not pass it up.

So here's what I picked up
2 ea. ML Vignette Speakers. The sale price was $599, I took the floor models for $499 ea.
1 ea. Fresco Sale Price $799
1 ea. Dynamo 500 Subwoofer

So I'm set for my 5.1 system.
My question to all of you is I'd like to upgrade my Power source, but My budget is between $1000 - $1500 USD. Any advice or suggestions?? I was looking at the Denon 3808 and I can probably pick one up for just over $1000USD.

Looking forward to getting the system all hooked up with photos in a month or 2.

Peace
Frank

Welcome Frank,

You are making good progress against your recent musical set back.

Probably the best thing to do on the upgrade path would be to get a good used multi-channel amp and use your Denon as a pre-amp.

To get all the power you will need for future ML upgrades and staying in the dollar budget bracket you mentioned, I would look at Sunfire Amps on Audiogon.

If all else fails, you could ask your new "Wife" what she likes, because statiscally she will end up owning the system anyway:D

Welcome Frank! I agree, I'd go with a seperate multi-channel amp and many members here like the Sunfire amps.

Welcome Frank,

You are making good progress against your recent musical set back.

Probably the best thing to do on the upgrade path would be to get a good used multi-channel amp and use your Denon as a pre-amp.

To get all the power you will need for future ML upgrades and staying in the dollar budget bracket you mentioned, I would look at Sunfire Amps on Audiogon.

If all else fails, you could ask your new "Wife" what she likes, because statiscally she will end up owning the system anyway:D

ROFLOL:ROFL: Hey since the Ex took the last system, I'm keeping this one, It's in the prenup!!

Thanks for the advice I will check into it, Now gotta find a place that has that equipment so I can look at it. Used to have a few great Hi Fidelity shops around here in New Jersey, namely Harvey Electronics, but they moved out of Paramus and the closest one is in NYC.

Thanks again!

Welcome......and your username? You're a doctor, married female and father? I don't get it?

It's actually short for Drummers Dad! My son kicks it! I used to be his roadie until he stopped playing and decided he wanted to go to school, dang kid ruined all my fun!!!:rocker:

Back