Black plastic bags OK for packaging?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tj Bassi

Reaction score
I'm packing away some of my unused audio gear; we're doing alot of home remodeling and what isnt being used is going back into the boxes to keep it clean and safe. I picked up a roll of 55 gallon drum liners (thin black plastic like Hefty bags) to not only wrap the components themselves, but also the outer boxes, to keep away the construction dirt/dust. The drum liners, although thin, are of a generous size to accomodate large items.....for instance I have a spare Descent that has original packaging but the clear bag from the factory was dirty and torn.
Does anyone see a concern using this type of material for packaging? The equipment will be stored in moderate temperatures for about six months. I'm most concerned if the plastic would/could interact with the surface of some of the components. The box the liners came in doesnt indicate their composition but they look like cheap, thin (very thin) black garbage bags.

Tj

No concerns at all. I have used those type of bags (though the heavy duty types) numerous times with no downside at all. You can be confident that your gear will be protected.

Thank you. I should have asked that question before spending an entire Sunday packing things up...it wasnt until late last evening that I wondered if the bags were a good idea.

T-

Just make sure you don't pack them up when there is too much water / humidity in the air as this will then be locked in for six months with no ventilation!

Good point, and part of the reason I'm doing it now, while its fairly cool/dry in the basement. Thank you.

T-

I've used big black plastic leaf bags for years to wrap up gear in storage--speakers, compnents, TTs--and never once had a problem. If you are worried at all about moisture, you might consider throwing some little bags of dessicant (like thos elittle pouches that come in vitamins and new shoes) in the bag with your gear.

--Richard

Latest posts

Back