Bass Mgmt - Player or processor

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
a conundrum.. I have a sunfire TGIII and a denon 5900... both have a 'source direct' bypass option which eliminates all digital circuitry from the path. I have a descent as well. I have to either have the denon handle the bass mgmt (turning source direct off) or handle it in the processor - in which case I have to do the same with the Processor. My perfect setup would be to have both player and processor set to bypass the digital circuitry - but still keep the sub on. Any opinions on what the best option might be? thx. tim

a conundrum.. I have a sunfire TGIII and a denon 5900... both have a 'source direct' bypass option which eliminates all digital circuitry from the path. I have a descent as well. I have to either have the denon handle the bass mgmt (turning source direct off) or handle it in the processor - in which case I have to do the same with the Processor. My perfect setup would be to have both player and processor set to bypass the digital circuitry - but still keep the sub on. Any opinions on what the best option might be? thx. tim

Tim,

I was actually playing around with this option in my system too. In my case, I have the Denon 5910 feeding an Anthem D2.

After much listening, I have decided my best option is to set the Denon Source Direct to 'ON', thus bypassing all its speaker settings. The D2 then receives analog signals full range on all channels, converts them to digital and performs the necessary bass management.

I guess you'll have to decide whichever option is best in your system after prolonged listening, first with the processing done on the Denon, then on the Sunfire. Important thing is to avoid double processing.

One advantage of having the processor do the job is when you switch source, you don't have to recalibrate your speaker settings.

Finally, I see no way by which you can bypass bass processing totally. It's part of speaker settings for multi-channel audio.

Well thanks - at least I know I'm not going insane now!!:banghead: If I let the denon do it - it is definitely easier for me - because, I have found that having my sub @ 70Hz really produces quite a wallop for movies.... Now, I would rather have it at 40Hz for music.... So, I was going 40Hz out of the Denon / w source direct on at the processor for music. For movies - I was connecting via coax - and setting the processor to 70Hz (and leaving it that way). i would then just flip the crossover on the descent from 40Hz to 70Hz based on music or movies.

I was hoping that on 'source direct' on the sunfire - I could go out the main outputs to the sub. However, it does not send anything when on source direct.... This would have allowed me to go source direct in both the processor and player.... No such luck.

I guess I can try flipping it back / setting the processor to 40 w/processing and the player to source direct on... and see what I get.

If I do that - then going to movies becomes a menu X-over change to 70 plus the flip on the x-over on the descent. Not a big deal - I guess - you just get the feeling when you are going thru this - that some people in the room think you are ....uh...crazy?? Something I'll have to live with....

Tim,

The Descent i has a choice of line or LFE input. It's low pass crossover is only effective on line input. For LFE input, the signal frequency input is controlled by the processor or player. I am not sure the older Descent works the same way.

Tim,

The Descent i has a choice of line or LFE input. It's low pass crossover is only effective on line input. For LFE input, the signal frequency input is controlled by the processor or player. I am not sure the older Descent works the same way.

Yes - it does....You think I should try the LFE connection and see what I get?
I am connected into the L/R line inputs (recommended for 2 channel).

Tim,

If you are having your Descent low pass xover at 70Hz for movies, I don't see why there's need to flip it to 40Hz for music since your player is only set to pass 40Hz.

Remember, if your front speakers is set to large on the Denon, for 2-ch music, there will be no signal for the sub. The xover for the sub works only for LFE and signals diverted from speakers set to small.

Personally, I wouldn't set the Denon xover to 40Hz since some of the LFE frequencies will be lost when playing movies or 6-ch music. It's best at either 70-80Hz.

Tim,

If you are having your Descent low pass xover at 70Hz for movies, I don't see why there's need to flip it to 40Hz for music since your player is only set to pass 40Hz.

Remember, if your front speakers is set to large on the Denon, for 2-ch music, there will be no signal for the sub. The xover for the sub works only for LFE and signals diverted from speakers set to small.

Personally, I wouldn't set the Denon xover to 40Hz since some of the LFE frequencies will be lost when playing movies or 6-ch music. It's best at either 70-80Hz.

Ok - I'm confused - I guess... You are right - I have the speakers set to large - but there is an 'enhanced bass' option on the Denon which I have turned 'on'. That sends the signal out to the sub... Now, if it uses the x-over settings when it does this... I am not sure. I do know that when I flip the x-over on the sub - there is a difference....which would indicate that something over 40hz is getting to the sub. I'm going to have to sit down with the manuals again (after 4 years or so!!!). I'll fiddle around - and see what happens. I'll set the speakers to small - and see if I flip the descent x-over - see if there is a difference then....what a pain.

Tim,

Enhanced bass is simply bass +10db. At 3 times louder, you'll be sure to have kickbutt bass! :D

Tim,

Enhanced bass is simply bass +10db. At 3 times louder, you'll be sure to have kickbutt bass! :D

I believe it is also a way to send sub output with a two channel source. With it on - the sub out from the player gets a signal with a 2 channel source.

Anyway - I flipped a bunch of things around - and here is what I think sounded the best....I turn source direct 'off' on the player / send the sub output out the player for a 2 channel source to the source direct inputs of the processor. (i.e. the sub/ and front L/R are connected from the player to the processor into the source direct inputs of the processor). The front speakers are set to 'Large'.

My sub does not play very loud - but I don't want it to for music (I have Odysseys). It is just a hint of bottom end.

I believe it is also a way to send sub output with a two channel source. With it on - the sub out from the player gets a signal with a 2 channel source.

Tim,
You are absolutely correct. It only works with analog output when Source Direct is 'off'.

Bass +10dB is another Denon story.

Important thing is you're happy with your setup. I got my Anthem partly because it is able to have different speaker settings for cinema and music from the same source like the Denon 5910, so no problem at all with all manner of exotic configurations one can think of.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back