3D Projector Talk, Anyone here thinking about getting one?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin,

I understand that but who wants to wear those silly glasses to watch 3D, except on very rare occasions?

Just because it will become technologically common place doesn't mean it will gain traction.

Gordon

Justin,

I understand that but who wants to wear those silly glasses to watch 3D, except on very rare occasions?

Just because it will become technologically common place doesn't mean it will gain traction.

Gordon

I agree, I don't think it will get to the point that the majority of TV watching will be in 3D. It's just simply annoying to watch movies with glasses (or a 2nd pair for many of us). As for adoption, even blu-ray adoption in America is under 30% (I believe I read this recently), and that's just for standard blu-ray format which has been out for more than half a decade. For 3-D to be good, they have to get rid of the glasses, the set focal point in the picture needs to be removed (this is why 3D always looks fake). These are major technological hurdles that they are no where close to fixing.

There is a tech that needs no glasses in the works but the viewing angle is way too short. Nintendo 3ds uses a similar scaled down type of this

Here's a nicely done "what's coming" vid from Corning that captures what we're all waiting for wrt 3D viewing. The 3D scene starts at 4:58 into the vid, but the entire thing is well worth viewing IMO. Some of the tech they include is speculative and some of it is possible now - regardless, it's fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf7IL_eZ38

Last edited:
Thanks Todd and PML for sharing.

The only way 3D will be accepted by a large, consumer audience is the ability to watch with no "gimmicks", such as the current glasses.

Not to mention, good content.

GG

Best 3D is home grown

Gordon,

I don't worry about content, since every single picture I take and most, maybe 75% of my videos are in 3D. Until you shoot your own stuff in 3D and then go back and experience it not just look at it, it is hard for anyone to understand the true value of 3D. You can get a Fuji W3 for under 300 bucks so shooting your own 3D stills and with some practice 3D videos is an amazing experience. Then you can get an LG Passive TV say a 55 inch at Costco for under 1200 bucks, the expereince can be magical. I took a video of a swarm of hummingbirds that actually had them flying 6 to 8 feet out in front of the screen, I could literally reach out and touch them. Just amazing and since you control the content, you never have to worry about content:)

Some of the movies are very well done and are fun but experiencing your own stuff in 3D, well the experience is so engaging, I don't notice the glasses anymore.

3D is not going to go away and it is a tech that is here to stay. Many new tech's took a long while to develop and mature but now we are getting there sooner than later. I think there is going to be a passive vs active competition in the pj world but the active will win because its cheaper to buy a screen. The fact is that people like to have a choice on how they view their content and it's not a big deal for manufacturers to tack some 3D proccessing into a tv.

I just got 'Hugo' on 3d bluray and the picture was just a fine example of how 3d can be done right. I bought 'Journey to blah blah Island' and although it was shot in 3d the effect was a little lame.

JMAUSGP I can't believe you got a sony 1000es as that is a 20k pj lol. I would love to own that projector but the 4k tech will be available for less than 4K in 2 yrs from now. I would be very interested if you purchased a darbee vision darbet and used it when in the 4k upscale mode

http://darbeevision.com/

Yes, I got one of the first Darbee Darblets that came out. For the money it can not be beat. I just ordered 2 more for my other HTs.

55 LG passives are good - had two at work. I rate better than Samsung actives - which I own!:D.

I think the jury is in on this one. The LG Passives are the way to go for flat screens. But if you get a chance check out the Sony VPL 1000ES on a 120 to 160 inch screen in either full 4K or 2k upscaled to 4k with a Darbee thrown in for good measure. I think it will astound you......unless you happen to be in a fog when you see it:)

Hi JM,

Not very techie so I wasn't aware of self produced 3D. Must be alot of fun to see your own material that way.

Gordon

Hi JM,

Not very techie so I wasn't aware of self produced 3D. Must be alot of fun to see your own material that way.

Gordon

Funny how you can produce "real" 3D video in the home market for a few hundred bucks, but these movies with 100's million dollar budgets are filming in 2D and the converting it to "fake 3D" in post production.

Funny how you can produce "real" 3D video in the home market for a few hundred bucks, but these movies with 100's million dollar budgets are filming in 2D and the converting it to "fake 3D" in post production.

Because it is a gimmick and they only do it to make more money. It is better shot in 2d.

I think the jury is in on this one. The LG Passives are the way to go for flat screens. But if you get a chance check out the Sony VPL 1000ES on a 120 to 160 inch screen in either full 4K or 2k upscaled to 4k with a Darbee thrown in for good measure. I think it will astound you......unless you happen to be in a fog when you see it:)

I'm sure you're right, Joe. We got the LGs to show off some DirectX programming I'd done. What surprised me was applying the real time 2D->3D processing on the DirectX content worked very convincingly - far more so than when applied to a film, say. And the passive specs really are nice and light - no real hassle at all.

Hi JM,

Gordon

Gordon,

Yes, it is so amazing that I shoot almost everything in 3D probably 100% stills now. But video is a bit tricky.

Truth be told, with video you have to shoot it with 3D in mind. Meaning you really can't get a 3D effect when taking video shots of far off objects. But if you put something in the foreground, something in the middle then far off objects work great. In other words, it takes a bit of relearning to shoot great 3D. And depending on the device you choose to use to shoot 3D, you need to hold the unit absolutely steady, you need lots of light and you can't really zoom and keep the effect.

So there are lots of occasions where 3D doesn't work, so I do use 2K 2D. But when you do get 3D right, it is truly magical. Both still and video on a 10 or 12 foot screen creates an expereince as opposed to just looking at a flat picture. In short, I tend to believe that movies, videos or even stills are mans attempt to re-capture the moment, and in the movies I would go so far as to say people go watch a movie to escape their own lives and try to become engrossed in whatever film they are watching. 3D when done write makes it easier to put yourself in the moment.

But again that's just me, YMMV and I respect that. I know I can't do it justice on here, just like I can't describe the expereince of a 5.1 CLX surround sound listening experience that is done Wilson....I mean right, but I can tell you from a variety of life standpoint that it is a good thing, at least for me. And besides, if I shoot my own 3D, I never run out of content:)

I'm sure you're right, Joe. We got the LGs to show off some DirectX programming I'd done. What surprised me was applying the real time 2D->3D processing on the DirectX content worked very convincingly - far more so than when applied to a film, say. And the passive specs really are nice and light - no real hassle at all.

Justin,

Yes, the passive glasses are bigger and yet way lighter than the actives. It is easy to forget that you are wearing them. The only drawback to the Sony is that it uses active glasses, but the 4K projector makes that annoyance disappear with awe.

I might have to get a 3D camera next time me and my wife decide to make a home movie. I will need to experiment with different positions to get the full 3D effect

I might have to get a 3D camera next time me and my wife decide to make a home movie. I will need to experiment with different positions to get the full 3D effect

Post 2D pictures and if they are good enough, someone may buy you a 3D camera:)

I have a DreamVision Inti3 2D/3D projector. It's really a great 2D projector. I bought 4 active glasses to enjoy 3D bluray movies with my wife and friends. I wasted money... after ten minutes they start to say that the vision is tiring and ask me to go to the 2D version... No experience with passive 3D yet.

And besides, if I shoot my own 3D, I never run out of content:)
Have you shot any movie in the Ferrari, using as a soundtrack Elvis' song with the line "There's no room to rumba in a sports car; you can't move forward or back"? :)

Have you shot any movie in the Ferrari, using as a soundtrack Elvis' song with the line "There's no room to rumba in a sports car; you can't move forward or back"? :)

Bernard,

Actually I have. I have some pretty interesting race track stuff. One where I am tracking down a 355 Challenge race car and he makes a mistake and spins right in front of me. Mostly I shoot track videos in 2D even though I have a Hero2 and I really should get the 3D package and shoot even my track stuff in 3D.

Latest posts

Back