System #226 (CLX)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much. Odysseys were exchanged as part of the deal for CLX.

Being quite happy with my Odysseys any upgrade should have to be a major step up and I considered CLX to have all necessary properties for that. I have not been disappointed ;-)

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Odysseys were exchanged as part of the deal for CLX.

Being quite happy with my Odysseys any upgrade should have to be a major step up and I considered CLX to have all necessary properties for that. I have not been disappointed ;-)

Congrats MPS! Classy setup :)

Posting some recent changes of my system.

My listening room with CLXs and ARCs. I have done new layout of furniture to bring CLXs about 1,5m from the front wall, they really need the distance to sound right. I have made quite large bass traps for the corners and installed additional diffusers on the walls behind and side wall absorbers to the first reflection points.

System update:

Front end:
Audio Research CD7 ( CD-player )
Oracle Delphi MkIV + SME V + Benz Micro Ruby 3 ( LP-player )
Amps:
Lukaschek PP-1 T9 ( RIAA )
Audio Research REF3 ( preamp )
Audio Research VT200mkII ( poweramp )
Output devices:
STAX SR-404 + SRM-006tII ( earspeakers )
ML CLX Anniversary ( speakers )
Cables:
Interconnect:
Nordost Heimdahl (STAX+CD7+VT200mkII -balanced)
Nordost Red Dawn (RIAA -unbalanced)
Cello special edition (SME)
Speaker:
Nordost Frey /shotgun (CLX)
Power:
Wyrewizard Magus (VT200mkII+CLX)
Nordost Shiva (STAX+CD7+REF3)
Siltech Octopus (powerstrip)
Racks:
Solid Tech ROS 3 reference

Last edited:
System update:

Front end:
Audio Research CD7 ( CD-player )
Oracle Delphi MkIV + SME V + Benz Micro Ruby 3 ( LP-player )
Amps:
Lukaschek PP-1 T9 ( RIAA )
Audio Research REF3 ( preamp )
Audio Research VT200mkII ( poweramp )
Output devices:
STAX SR-404 + SRM-006tII ( earspeakers )
ML CLX Anniversary ( speakers )
Cables:
Interconnect:
Nordost Heimdahl (STAX+CD7+VT200mkII -balanced)
Nordost Red Dawn (RIAA -unbalanced)
Cello special edition (SME)
Speaker:
Nordost Frey /shotgun (CLX)
Power:
Wyrewizard Magus (VT200mkII+CLX)
Nordost Shiva (STAX+CD7+REF3)
Siltech Octopus (powerstrip)
Racks:
Solid Tech ROS 3 reference

Wow! You've made some pretty serious upgrades there from rack right through to speakers. Looks great! How do you like the CLXes driven by that big VTL amp?

Wow! You've made some pretty serious upgrades there from rack right through to speakers. Looks great! How do you like the CLXes driven by that big VTL amp?

You must mean my ARC VT200mkII - it does great job driving CLX.
My ARC HD220 has been out of service for over 6 months now, mains transformer went noisy with high pitch buzzing and amp started to switch itself off.. Now ARC and Audionord have been slow to respond.
Anyway it's my belief that CLX has been optimized for tube gear, just look at impedance and frequency response curves, they both have similar but opposite curvature. Output transformer impedance will nicely balance small variation in speaker frequency response variation. VT200 is one of the best products ARC has ever created, nice sounding with massive power output. It's also a dream for any tube business :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You must mean my ARC VT200mkII - it does great job driving CLX.
My ARC HD220 has been out of service for over 6 months now, mains transformer went noisy with high pitch buzzing and amp started to switch itself off.. Now ARC and Audionord have been very slow or even unwilling to respond. :mad:
Anyway it's my belief that CLX has been optimized for tube gear, just look at impedance and frequency response curves, they both have similar but opposite curvature. Output transformer impedance will nicely balance small variation in speaker frequency response variation. VT200 is one of the best products ARC has ever created, nice sounding with massive power output. It's also a dream for any tube business :rolleyes:

Yes...ARC! :) sorry about that. Glad you're enjoying your system so much!

I absolutely love the sound of the CLX and it suits my needs quite nicely. There is a very good informative and professional review of CLX for those interested, have a look: http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/loudspeakers/65-reviews/252-martin-logan-clx.html

I don't have a subwoofer but even so CLX's are down 35Hz/-6dB measured in my room. I applied extreme smoothing to REW measurement to remove room induced "ripple". Smoothed curve itself is quite useful to present overall balance and low frequency extension.

clxinroom1octsmoothing.png

New RIAA, ARC Reference Phono 2 SE, this one is a keeper :D thing just comes with all bells and whistles, including sound quality :rocker:

RACK0002mini.jpg

All interconnects are balanced Nordost Heindall and all power cables are Nordost Shiva.

Wow! that looka good!

I like your 45 degree angled diffusers behind the speakers.

Thanks, I really prefer what diffusion is doing to the sound instead of damping only. There are 2 pieces of bass traps behind each diffusor, total 8 pcs diffusors and 4 pcs of bass traps.
Diffusor
Bass trap

First photo does make everything look bit crowded in the room, well it's a small room but sufficient for now. Looks more like this from next to the spot..

Nearspot_zpsf58b7735.jpg

Great-looking system. I wish I could get my hands on a Ref Phono 2.

I was under the impression that the components were supposed to go directly on the cross-braces of the Solid Tech stands, but you seem to have solid shelves under the components. Or am I seeing things?

BTW, you should get a moderator to change "Odyssey" to "CLX" in the title of this thread.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the basic idea with Solid Tech but I prefer having 30mm granite shelves under the ARC components. Prevents hot air flow from one unit to next and gives more "solid" sound :D

I can ask one of the moderators to do so..

I can ask one of the moderators to do so..

Done. This is one of the Member Systems I would most like to hear. Awesome job!

Do I see a Burson headphone amp in the equipment rack as well? Which model and what headphones do you listen with?

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized it's a Stax amp. How often do you listen with headphones?

Last edited:
Thank you.

Yes it's a Stax SRM-006tII with SRS-404 Signature earspeakers. I listen with them occasionally, mostly late at night not to disturb my neighbours. I have had different Stax Lanbda versions for over 25 years and these are my favourites.

Back