You've Got Some MLs - But How Good Is Your Hearing?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine looks pretty good up to 22KHz.

I pushed the scale quite a bit and while I couldn't really hear anything up at 40KHz I had an irresistable urge to scratch my neck with my right foot, I peed on the trash can in my office and I'm waiting for a disiplinary meeting with H.R. right now because I apparently tried to sniff a co-workers butt
ROFLMAO :ROFL:

Love the post, Tim. My wife asked me what was so funny as I was howling with laughter, so I read her the post, then SHE was howling with laughter (as much, that is, as a woman howls with laughter).

It should be made a "sticky".

Last edited:
Man, that's cool - 6KHz higher than the max test frequency in those tests...

Clash quote time: "Back in the garage with my BS detector...":D:) Garageland - 1st album.

I bet there's loads here who daredn't tell the truth for fear of credibility loss! It's all an illusion, though. It's only YOU who thinks you have any!:)

Were you "feeling Supersonic" at the time you did the tests, Tim?:)

I haven't had a chance to actually do it, but am keen to do so as soon as I have the time.

I only have time to fullfill my role as resident smarta$$...

I'm happy just knowing my friend Bernard got a chortle out of it.

I wasn't feeling supersonic during the tests, but I can leap over tall buildings and have been blessed with x-ray vision (hide your twenty-something year old daughters!), especially after sleeping at a Holiday Inn express!

As an aside: I do not lend these sort of tests much merit, but for what its worth, its always an advantage when your using speakers that dig well into the 30kHz on up territory.:D :rocker:

Last edited:
50 years old and can't hear over 14khz. I'm blaming this on 26 years of sirens on the fire engine.:D

Using my little cheapie earbud headphones with the PC whirring in the background, but made it about 3 pulses at 15 khz, had 8 at 14khz. I'm guessing I'd have zilch at 16khz. The first mistake I made was doing the test forgetting that I had an EQ set on my sound card. Oops :eek: Make sure you flatten your EQ and don't cheat! :D

Here's my plot. On second try, I can actually hear all the way to 20,000 (and I think I can even hear something at 22,000, but I'm not sure). It's very rolled off, but there is a definite sensation in my ears.

Attachments

• res.JPG
    res.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 105
As a middle school teacher my students get their hearing tested each year. I always take the chance to have my hearing checked at the same time. Last year I heard the 18.5K tone at the standard level. Not bad for 48 years old.

Going to a true Audiologist and having your hearing checked is the best way to go. Most health plans will cover some annual testing.

These self tests people are doing here just like testing audio equipment can be biased especially when one knows a change has been made and what change has been done. Not only will you get frequency levels checked but also left and right abilities.

I think that's right, DTB - the best test is the "blind" one.

With my tinnitus cleared, I can hear the loudest 2 14KHz tones - just. Too many years of loud gigs and clubbing...

Off topic, but not worth a new thread, so I'm just gonna dump it here:

Had a friend who is clueless about hi-fi round last night. He listened to his drum'n'bass MP3s via the laptop, listened to some CDs and SACDs and some records. I said pretty much nothing and then the statement "records sound the best, don't they?" emerged from his lips without any prompting. When switching back to his MP3s, he became less content, and was well aware that SACD sounded better than CD.

He said he hadn't heard a system as good as mine, and was well impressed when the Descent was pumped up on the drum'n'bass. He was so genuinely impressed and amazed he was smiling away, having a seriously good time. The session went on for hours and hours he was enjoying it so much.

What caught me was he made all the sort of criticisms I think are true, entirely of his own accord. I was pretty touched by it, to be honest.

Sometimes it's good to share...:)

Saw this thread and have to tell you all how depressed I am. For about 1.5 years I have been having some terrible hearing problems! My left ear goes from pretty normal for me to VERY bad low freq loss... Right up to near 1000Hz. That is right where most conversation takes place. The high freq is not bad, but I can't even start to tell you how depressing it is!

I hope you guys never had this strange sudden hearing loss that I am dealing with now. Oh, sometimes it comes back... Sometimes it comes back and stays for months at a time. Sometimes it is GONE for months at a time! There does not seem to be anything that can be done for it and there is no telling if it will get worse or better. At 44 this is NOT a good sign for things to come and while it is annoying for anyone, it is down right depressing for an audiophile and even WORSE for a musician!

Hey Jim? Aren't you the lead singer!:)

Anyway, I hear where you are coming from. Ear wax is a real problem for me - I have to get my ears professionally cleaned about once every two years. Getting near that point now...

Just a small glob of wax on your ear drums will really reduce HF perception - in fact perception at most frequencies. After I've had mine cleaned I walk out amazed - usually a monumental apparent improvement in hearing ability.

This thread has had a few hits - so if you are a bit disappointed with your hearing test results, maybe go see the doctor. They can have a good look inside and see if you "need a clean".

Just a thought. I am no doctor, though:eek:

Isn't it odd that the human ear works using a piece of stretched skin?

Hm - let me think what the closet replay mechanism is for that...

It couldn't be an electrostatic could it? Or the good old planar's?

:)

When I was in my 20's, I could hear 18KHz and above. I've noticed over the years that, along with my eyes, I've been losing 'detail'. I had to start wearing glasses for both distance and reading when I was in my early 50's, and I now at 62 I can just hear the first 2-3 tones at the 12KHz level. (Sigh. Getting older sucks. :( )

49, and using sleepysurf's tests I can hear fine till the test's limit of 16khz. On the other hand I seem to have more difficulty with the 30hz tone unless I dial it up. Maybe that's why I say I won't need subs with the CLX!

My wife says I never hear anything though...

Back