Your Reference pieces?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave Brubeck - Live at Carnegie Hall
Purpose - Great jazz music

Eva Cassidy - Live at the Blues Alley
Purpose - quality female vocals

Eric Clapton - Crossroads 2 Live
Purpose - male vocals, instrument details

Grateful Dead - Anything from the early seventies
Purpose - assess how equipment performs with amazing music, but a crappy recording

... are the most important for me.

you know Radu, before I croak I want to see Mr Kunzel and his "Cinnci Pops". I've been fortunate to see Fiedler, and several Nero peformances here in Philly. Actually missed out a few years back when home in Rochester, Erich Kunzel was conducting the Rochester Pops @ The Eastman Theatre.

All vinyl of course:eek:

1. J. S. Bach-Brandenburg Concertos Smithsonian records P3-14834. IMO the definitive HI performance and recording, beautiful if you can find it. This is a new addition to my references.

2. Maurice Ravel-Alborado del Gracioso RCA LSC 2222-45. Simply the most realistic dynamics on vinyl to date. Incredible music, incredibly recorded. Classic Records 45RPM

3. Malcolm Arnold-English, Scottish and Cornish Dances Lyrita SRCS 109. Lyrically beautiful and absolutely beautifully recorded, this is a long time resident on the TAS Super Disc list and deservedly so.

I have always recommended the Reference Recordings Copland Appalaichin Spring but I heard the original 13 part version the other night played by the Australian Chamber Orchestra as part of a concert - my recording just sounds broken now.

I firmly believe that the only real reference is live unamplified music. Reality check showing you that your system is a different experience.

Kevin

The sound is excellent but the performance is actually pretty pedestrian. I still will play it for the string tone and imaging.

Back