Your Reference pieces?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
When we go out to audition equipment (or when we showcase our audio gear to friends... yes, we do that) we usually have a staple of records/cds that we religiously use... though ever evolving, most of the time we stick to a trusty few (or atleast I do).

I don't think there has been a thread about this in recent memory, so if you were to list your TOP 3 reference songs/albums that you use to audition/showcase.... which are they (and obviously why)?

I could give you my top 50 or 100....

Short List:

Audioslave - first album
Mickey Hart - Drumming at the Edge
Dave Stewart - Greetings from the Gutter
Tim Curry - Simplicity
Arnold Bax - The Symphonies
Laurie Anderson - Home of the Brave
Devo - Duty Now for the Future
The Tubes - Young and Rich
Beatles - Love
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Genesis- Trick of the Tail
Spocks Beard - V
Yes - Fragile
Peggy Lee - Bewitched
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Tom Waits - Mule Variation
Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee jones
Lyle Lovett - And his big band
Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium (the LP version only)
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee (DVD-a version only)
Peter Gabriel - Security
XTC - nonesuch
almost anything from Eastwind imports....

When doing a demo for a freind, I usually ask them to put in one of their favorite cd's. Or I play something they don't expect at all to really throw them off....

Jeff,

That's a pretty big list. I said 3, not 50. :p

You got a top 3?

I cut a couple of reference CDRs via iTunes playlists. These were ripped from CDs in lossless format. I have one CD that is mainly vocal stuff (Clannad, Sarah McLachlan, Joan Osborne, Patricia Barber,...), another that is dynamic (labeled "KickTest") with stuff like Roxy Music, Live, Portishead, Steely Dan, No Doubt, ..., and then another random mix CD. I'm very familiar with all of the music in question, so I know how I think it should sound.

I start with listening to the vocal/acoustic CD so that my ears don't get fatigued. I listen to some of the tracks repeatedly to see if I can hear the nuances of some instruments. When I was auditioning the upgrade to my current amp, a particularly telling point was a brief piccolo measure in McLachlan's "Ice" - with the better amp, there was noticeable improvement in the definition of the instrument. It sounded like a discrete piccolo rather than a high-pitched-something.

The KickTest tends to be well-recorded stuff with a slight jazz bent. "Gaslighting Abbie" by Steely Dan and "While My Heart Is Still Beating" by Roxy Music both have dynamic bass drum and bass lines in them, and are recorded very well even in their CDDA forms. For a different sound in this vein, "Hella Good" by No Doubt has a driving synthetic bass line. "Precious Things" by Tori Amos is similar, and offers a complex musical piece (for popular music).

1. Rickie Lee Jones - Pop Pop
2. Ray LaMontagne - Till the sun turns black
3. Archive - Londinium

Nils Lofgren - Acoustic Live
The Catholics - Simple (Australian jazz band)
Natalie Merchant - Tigerlilly

Can I mention two more?

Sheffield Lab / Clare Marlo
Radu's ? Vienna Teng - Warm Strangers would pretty tempting next time 'round.

1) Dead Can Dance "Spritchaser"
2) Susan Wong "A night at the movies"
3) Eagles "Hell Freezes over"

These are the CDs I use to wow the public.

Narrowing a laundry list of recordings down to just three is a tough task. I'm going to take the easy way out by stretching - ok breaking - the rules a bit. :D

In no particular order;

Alex De Grassi - Now and Then (acoustic guitar - folk)
Alex De Grassi - Bolivian Blues Bar (acoustic guitar)
Tao Ruspoli - Flamenco (guitar / flamenco)
Janaki String Trio - Debut (string quartet - classical)
Loreena McKennitt - An Ancient Muse (Celtic / Mid East)
Dead Can Dance - Spiritchaser (African?)
Anna Netrebko - The Russian Album (opera)

Three Reference Pieces, and then some

There are certainly more - but three -
Dead Can Dance - Yulunga - From "Into the Labyrinth" Amazing how that is on so many lists. When that Maraca-thing comes in, followed by the intense African drums - man.

Roger Waters - The Ballad of Bill Hubbard - From "Amused to Death"
This entire disc is a masterpiece, recorded in Q sound - the most amazing two-channel soundstage I have ever heard, the disc in it's entirety is quite fatiguing, a few bourbons certainly helps.

Supertramp - Crime of the Century
The greatest pre-digital recording of all time in my opinion. I play my MFSL recording on a Basis turntable into the CJ tube preamp, into the Adcoms, into the Odysseys - an eargasm every time.

Others: Wonderwall - Ryan Adams, Packed Like Sardines . . . - Radiohead, Ten Thousand Lines - Electric Presidents, I'm Not Sorry - Morrisey, Rag and Bones - The White Stripes, The Entirety of Bitches Brew - Miles Davis, One - Aimee Mann, The Girl From Ipanema - Gilberto and Getz, Such Great Heights - The Postal Service

I am a neophyte compared to you guys, but i like Sarah McLachlan's Afterglow. IMO, it's a rich Cd with plenty of subtle instruments and a beautiful voice. It has some bass, some highs, some in between. For softer listening, i prefer Sarah Brightman's Time to Say Goodbye...the live recording with London's Symphony Orchestra is so soothing to listen to.

Last edited:
Joey, narrowing it to three is tough, but here goes.......

1) Tchaikovsky's - Symphony #7 and his Piano concerto #3 - if for no other reason that there so few of these that have been recorded. Tchaikovsky died during the writing of the seventh and it was finished by Semyon Bogatryryev ; while the third piano concerto stands on it's single movement that was written, The Allegro brillante.

My refrence is on CD performed by The London Philharmonic, Neeme Jarvi conducting with Geoffrey Tozer on piano.

2) Chuck Mangione - Children of Sanchez , the Overture

A&M records, vinyl

3) Diana Krall - From This Moment On

Verve records, vinyl

The Voice: Judy Collins singing "Houses" on the "Judith" LP. On a properly set up analog system, the violas towards the end of that song will bring the goose bumps up.

"Supertramp - Crime of the Century
The greatest pre-digital recording of all time in my opinion. I play my MFSL recording on a Basis turntable into the CJ tube preamp, into the Adcoms, into the Odysseys - an eargasm every time."

Agreed! Arguably the greatest of all the Supertramp albums. TAS list forever, as is the Judy Collins.

Rennaisance, Novella. Another TAS lister. Love Annie Haslim's haunting voice.

Rimsky-Korsakov, Scherezade, Reiner/CSO. The Chesky pressing, I haven't heard the Classics. A great recording, love the violin. A must see/hear in concert, if you get the opportunity.

Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique, Munch/BSO. I have the "Shaded Dog" of this one, which is not the one TAS touted from Classic a few years ago. The last two movements, "March to the Scaffold" and "The Witches Sabbath" are worth the price of admission. Fasten your seat belts.

Belafonte at Carnegie Hall. I have the original LSC. On "Matilda," with the proper setup, one can hear the audience singing from those little balconies on the sides of the hall. A must have.

Dr John, Brother can you spare a dime and The Rev. Billy C Wirtz, Roberta. I have these songs on a burned blues cd I acquired a while back Dr John's version of that blues classic again brings up the word, haunting. Not sure what cd/lp that one comes from. Rev. Billy C's Roberta is from "Deep Fried & Sanctified" and includes horns, guitar and Billy on acoustic piano. Great listening. Catch Billy if he comes your way, as he puts on a great show. You'll be saved!

Spem in Alium - the 40 part motet Thomas Tallis. Forty parts, seven choirs solo voices ,crescendoes that will destroy a system and room setup Gimell Tallis Scholars.

For me if it can't do symphonic don't apply Mahler 2 your pick second movement

I have always recommended the Reference Recordings Copland Appalaichin Spring but I heard the original 13 part version the other night played by the Australian Chamber Orchestra as part of a concert - my recording just sounds broken now.

Solo piano Goldberg Variations ECM Andras Schiff.

I firmly believe that the only real reference is live unamplified music. Reality check showing you that your system is a different experience.

Kevin

These 3...

... are the most important for me.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 198
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 194
Spem in Alium - the 40 part motet Thomas Tallis. Forty parts, seven choirs solo voices ,crescendoes that will destroy a system and room setup Gimell Tallis Scholars.

I love the Tallis Scholars. I am always using for demo Josquin Desprez, L'homme arme Masses. There are not crescendos that will destroy, but the mid-range counterpoint, and SQ is top notch, imo. Its the latter work I prefer, for sexti toni. Great counterpoint. I will get around to purchasing your particular rec.

For me if it can't do symphonic don't apply Mahler 2 your pick second movement
My friend has some new SFSO/MTT recordings waiting to be borrowed by me. Just way too much on listening plate for the moment. He thinks the 7th rules. A former pro conductor, and cousin of Ernst Krenek (of whom he does not say nice things about his music or personality :eek: ).

Solo piano Goldberg Variations ECM Andras Schiff.

I wasn't too crazy when I last heard this. I need a re-listen. Maybe too inundated with Gould like many. I know the harpsichord is not for everyone, but Pierre Hantai's recording is top notch.

I firmly believe that the only real reference is live unamplified music. Reality check showing you that your system is a different experience.

Kevin

I think I wholeheartedly agree. Maybe outside a few exceptions such as the aforementioned Josquin disc... cheers.

Kevin,

come to think of it, I don't think I've heard the Schiff recording. I don't know what I was thinking, but I believe it was the Perahia recording I was thinking about. Sorry, if that's the case. (I don't own either, but I think I'll order this rec too now :D ).

Here's the list of CDs I always take to my listening sessions. I usually add 2 or 3 more as wildcards if I am in the mood or if I want to dig in some specific aspect of the sound.

Folia, Rodrigo Martinez
from La Folia 1490-1701, Jordi Savall

I usually open every audition with this track. It has a great soundstage with instruments with a good timbral variety (a few violas da gamba, percussion, wood organ). It's good to judge airiness, venue acoustics, and the viola da gamba timbral accuracy.

Gloria Tibi Domine, Anonymous
from El Cant de la Sibil-la, Mallorca & Valencia, 1400-1560, Jordi Savall

Glorious vocal sound, good for male vocal timbre accuracy, and to gauge whether the system allows you to discern each distinct voice.

Requiem/Kyrie
from Jean Gilles, Requiem, conductor Philippe Herreweghe

Baroque in period instruments, good for string section timbral accuracy, plus the various vocal soloists.

Uaxuctum, 1st Movement
from Giacinto Scelsi, Orchestral Works, conductor Jurg Wyttenbach

Epic orchestral and mixed choir work. The sheer massive scale of the orchestra and choir, with all the hissing and exhaling sounds make it tremendously ominous. Add to that the ondes martenot, the big oil drum percussion and it's one that will extract all the power from the amps.

Klavierstuck I
Klavierstuck VII
from Karlheinz Stockhausen, Klavierstucke, piano Aloys Kontarsky

Fantastic set of pieces. No. I is good for straight piano timbral accuracy, as the angular surface of the music showcases the piano sound in a very raw form. No. VII is filled with sympathetic vibrations from silently depressed keys excited by short burts from other keys. A very delicate sound rich in decays and beating frequencies. Dealers usually run to turn off the a/c when this piece comes up.

Neophilia 2006
Walter Bishop Jr
from Bennie Maupin, Penumbra

Exceedingly good recent jazz recording, good for bass clarinet timbre, along with saxes and a diverse palette of percussion. The double-bass in the first track is surprisingly difficult to render correctly and more often than not immediately reveals shortcomings in the room.

Saturday's Child
Voyage of Bran
from Brendan Perry, Eye of the Hunter

Awesome vocal work. Brendan Perry has one of my favourite voices. Add to that the guitar and other background instrumentation, and the fact that he recorded the album in the old church he lives in, endowing the music with its acoustics, and this is an overall good example for how the whole system puts everything together.

Microscopic
from Download, Microscopic

Wonderful experimental track. This is wild, hard, digital stuff that will have most amps gasping for breath. The density and richness of the sounds, plus processed vocals, will show whether a system is harsh, muddles things up, or lacks the ability to scour the depths and rise to the skies.

"The World's greatest Audiophile Recordings", Chesky Records, 2006. Among those that are featured within this hybrid SACD disc.........

Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish Harlem ***
Livingston Taylor - Isn't She Lovely
Valerie Joyce - Fever
Christy Baron - Ain't no Sunshine
Rosa Passos & Ron Carter - The Girl from Ipanema
Kenny Rankin - 'Round Midnight***
Sara K - What's a Little More Rain
Marta Gomez - Cielito Lindo
Laverne Butler - Isn't it a Pity
Xiomara - La Habana Joven
Carlos Franzetti - Once Upon a Summertime***
Ana Caram - Meditation

*** denotes my tests for audio reproduction and testing for accuracy / hard for a system to get right. Since you asked for three, I will stop there.

That said....after that, some of my non-audiophile tracks like BB King "Live at the Regal" for precise imaging, Little Feat "Waiting for Columbus" for separation of instruments played within a 14 member band live and Don Henley, the first 14 seconds of "Boy's of Summer" to test mid-bass punch accuracy.

It's hard to list just three when you spend hours auditioning.

Kevin,

come to think of it, I don't think I've heard the Schiff recording. I don't know what I was thinking, but I believe it was the Perahia recording I was thinking about. Sorry, if that's the case. (I don't own either, but I think I'll order this rec too now :D ).

We have about eight different versions of the Goldberg Variations. The Perhaia is well regarded but I think the Schiff is a cut above. It would be one of the most played discs in our house and is a beautiful recording to boot.

Kevin

Back