Wire -biwire questions.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you do to use a self powered speakers, in combination with your amp? At the crossover circuit, the input impedance for low frequency circa 4K ohms, so the system amp does not read the woofer, but the low info is there, and the self power amp does. it is like an open circuit for bass only to the system amp. ! I hope I can be clear. The nominal impedance over all, is rated at 4 ohms. The wonders of Mr. Joe Vojtko, and his team, to have such wonderful speakers, and self powered. Happy listening!

PS. The total powered speaker model Purity says this at their specs: Impedance : Binding posts: 2,000 Ohms
Line level RCA: 14,000 Ohms. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.

Last edited:
Thanks Roberto :D .... So, in a nutshell, if one was to plot an impedance vs frequecy curve, it would start off at 4Kohm at roughly DC up to the 320Hz xover point(for my Spires) and then rapidly decline from then on towards 0.8 ohms at 20kHz as the ESL panel take over? Is this what you are saying? And this gives an overall impedance of 4 ohms?

Btw, why is the woofer at 4K? The voice-coil impedance certainly aren't that high. It would make sense to me to add a transformer between the source amplifier and the ESL panel to buffer the amp from the very low ESL impedance. In that case, we wouldn't have to worry about amplifier drive requirements.

Has anyone ploted an impedance curve for these ESL panels with amplified woofers?

Last edited:
Because you do not want your amplifier to drive bass, it is an input impedance. These are the specs of the Purity model... it is fully amplified by the same digital Bang an Olufsen amplifier that drives the Spire Woofer. The total powered speaker model Purity says this at their specs: Impedance : Binding posts: 2,000 Ohms....here our system amp act for this impedance as an open circuit.
Line level RCA: 14,000 Ohms. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.
Happy listening!

Last edited:
Why prefer BiWire cable over using Single cable with the metal jumpers provided by the speaker? This would be a cheaper option yielding similar results, correct?

With all due respect dm, the jumpers supplied by ML are sonic garbage.

With all due respect dm, the jumpers supplied by ML are sonic garbage.

I have others complain of this as well. I can't offer an opinion as I went straight to bi-wire. Many just buy new better grade jumpers to replace the stock ML ones.

Back