Wine & Cheese Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately in our house, I'm the one that stopped cooking when I lost the recipe for toast. I can pour a glass of wine and cut some cheese though!

Please don't talk about cutting the cheese here. We are discussing things epicurean ! :p

Here's one you missed, amey01, i.e. "cut the cheese" = "fart".

Don't you hate it when that happens, i.e. a wasted joke. :(

Tete de Moine

I recently bought some Tete de Moine ("Monk's Head") cheese, after a long time. I had forgotten how much I enjoy it. The tool used to form the cheese into curls was an icebreaker at a party I hosted recently.

Attachments

• tetemoine.jpg
    tetemoine.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 160
Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir

Is Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir (from Australia) still made ? I have not seen it in years. I used to really enjoy it.

A few of my favorites

Here is a short list of some of my Napa & Sonoma favorites.

Attachments

• Caymus.jpg
    Caymus.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Cyrus.jpg
    Cyrus.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Pride.jpg
    Pride.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Sbrag.jpg
    Sbrag.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Sullivan.jpg
    Sullivan.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 176
A scholar once told me...

Its Science:

"In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found in feces.

In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of poop. However, we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine because itl has to go through a purification process of fermenting.

Remember: Water = Poop, Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of shit."

I recently bought a locally-made Brie that has a blue streak (as in blue cheese) running through it. It is amazingly creamy and flavourful, nothing like the pungent taste of a true blue. I am really hooked on it.

Beaujolais Nouveau

I missed this year's crop of Nouveau. How was it? I usually like the Georges Duboeuf.

Last edited:
Bernard - that looks a bit like Cambozola - guess they might be trying to copy it. Worth a try if you haven't already. It varies from absolutely excellent to not so good though... as with a lot of cheeses. Pic borrowed from somewhere:D

Tastes like you describe, really. Just imagine a creamier, quite a bit less intense Gorgonzola. Or a creamier, less intense Dolcelatte. Make sure it is warm & melty before you eat it...

Attachments

• cambozola.jpg
    cambozola.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Justin, they do look similar, but I don't remember liking Cambozola as much; but as you said, cheese is variable.

Yes, I do like it warm and melty, with some crusty baguette and a nice red wine. I save the Port for the Roquefort.

One thing I'll say - I can drink a very cheap Port (£6 and 20% ABV so that is cheap) and enjoy it. I can't say the same of red wine. At undiscounted UK prices, you are really looking at £7-8 a bottle before it becomes "quite nice". And a hell of a lot more before it becomes "vey nice".

One thing I'll say - I can drink a very cheap Port (£6 and 20% ABV so that is cheap) and enjoy it. I can't say the same of red wine. At undiscounted UK prices, you are really looking at £7-8 a bottle before it becomes "quite nice". And a hell of a lot more before it becomes "vey nice".
I hear you about wine pricing. The provincial government has a monopoly here, and wine prices are very high. Drives me insane when I visit a relative in California and see how much less they pay.

Ok - here's some seriously nice Gorgonzola bought today from a deli in Tetbury, which is where Prince Charles lives. Really creamy with an amazing taste. I only wish I could show you the cheese it came from - an absolutely massive piece. Incredibly pricey - but possibly the best I have ever had. When it looks like this, pay the price. It is that simple.

Some excellent bread to go with it, too.

Mmmmmmmmmm...:)

Attachments

• cheese2.jpg
    cheese2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 104
  • cheese1.jpg
    cheese1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 102
How appropriate for this thread to come up today. I just signed a preliminary agreement to purchase a franchised wine bar/store.

The construction industry has gone all to hell here in South Florida so I've been looking for an opportunity. I decided to take it easy and do something fun.

Pretty soon I'll be able to share my expertise with everyone here and give some healthy discounts too!

Latest posts

Back