Which ML Center?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving the TV is not an option. The Theos are 24" from the back wall. I'll never achieve audio nirvana in this room!

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

Nice speakers guitarist.. How much did they run about 5k? Do you use that fireplace? If not throw a stand in front of it and go with a EM C2. I have a link where you can get it for a lot cheaper. You can PM me and I'll give you the info. Otherwise,I would put up a motion 8.

Thanks. No, we don't use the fireplace, so an EM C2 on a stand is probably the best option.

Actually, we decided to cover the fireplace, add a decorative table in front of it that can hold some nicknacks on a bottom shelf, and place a ML Motif on top of it! Now, I just need to find a used Motif for sale.

Edit: Just found and bought one on Audiogon!

Last edited:
Actually, we decided to cover the fireplace, add a decorative table in front of it that can hold some nicknacks on a bottom shelf, and place a ML Motif on top of it! Now, I just need to find a used Motif for sale.

Nice score! I think we were contacting the seller simultaneously!

Thanks. I haven't heard from the seller yet, but I assume all is well. Best wishes for finding a second one!

Good choice, especially as the Motif already absorbs the rear wave to a large extent due its box. Other centers require you to place absorption behind them.

Which BTW- given how close your speakers are the the wall, you should consider buying/building a custom absorption panel with 4"-thick material, offset from the wall by 2" (so roughly 6" thick) from ground up to an inch above the height of the speakers and roughly 2" wide. That will totally change the accuracy of reproduction and make movies much more enjoyable.

I don't find movies not enjoyable without Absorbing panels.. The actually sound incredible.. Ignorance is bliss.. :)

My Motif arrived today--the improvement over the Energy center speaker is staggering!

JonFo--my wife will NEVER go for acoustic absorption material in the living room! Until I win the lottery and have a custom home built with a dedicated audio/video room, I will have to make some small compromises. ;) ML suggests at least 24" from the rear wall, and that is where mine are placed.

My Motif arrived today--the improvement over the Energy center speaker is staggering!

JonFo--my wife will NEVER go for acoustic absorption material in the living room! Until I win the lottery and have a custom home built with a dedicated audio/video room, I will have to make some small compromises. ;) ML suggests at least 24" from the rear wall, and that is where mine are placed.

You may want to look into some decorative wall art. For example, heavy tapestry can act as a good sound dampener. You can also find other types of "wall art" that you can then place acoustic foam behind. This can improve your sound yet maintain the aesthetic appeal to appease the wife. :)

I am sort of in the same situation.

I am about to start my first theater room in the winter.
My setup so far is :

2 Motion 12s for fronts ($489.00) for the pair brand new

2 Motion 10s for rears ($238.00) for the pair brand new

2 Motion 10s for sides ($238.00) for the pair brand new

2 Dynamo 500s ($448.00) for the pair.

Things I don't have still is a center channel and a receiver.

Was thinking motion 8 or motion c. As far as receiver I am really clueless so anyone with
Some knowledge of what to look for would greatly appreciate it.

This will be a 7.2 system and my first set of martin Logan's I have ever owned

Holiday, nice score on the speakers, that should make a nice setup.

As for receivers, I have two for you:

Both feature Audyssey XT32 room correction, which for a 7.2 setup is ideal. It supports dual subs, integrating them both for delay and EQ.

The Denon 4311/4312 is a great unit with an excellent digital section, good analog performance and nice amps.

The Onkyo NR-3009 (or its sister the Integra 70.3), with good amps and a really nice video processor. I believe it also support bi-amping, so you could run the front Motion 12s with two channels, one for bass, another for highs. (as a 9.2 unit, you could still support 7.2, even with bi-amps).

As for which center, my advice is always: the biggest you can get/fit/afford. In this case the Motion C.

I am sort of in the same situation.

I am about to start my first theater room in the winter.
My setup so far is :

2 Motion 12s for fronts ($489.00) for the pair brand new

2 Motion 10s for rears ($238.00) for the pair brand new

2 Motion 10s for sides ($238.00) for the pair brand new

2 Dynamo 500s ($448.00) for the pair.

Things I don't have still is a center channel and a receiver.

Was thinking motion 8 or motion c. As far as receiver I am really clueless so anyone with
Some knowledge of what to look for would greatly appreciate it.

This will be a 7.2 system and my first set of martin Logan's I have ever owned

In a home theater, the center channel is the most important speaker. Many experts say that 50% of the speaker budget alone should be in the center channel. For this reason, i recommend moving out of the "motion" class into one of the better, maybe something like the Motif or at least the Electromotion C.

^ I can certainly vouch for the Motif! I paid $1000 for a mint condition one that is about 1.5 years old.

Thanks for the replays.

I was told going into the higher centers will give me a different sound from the other 2 fronts. This coming from my local hidef audio store.

Also those receivers are double the price of what the shop recommended for me. They suggested a pioneer something I forgot the model number. I have until Nov dec until I finish the room so maybe prices will drop but should I invest more into amp or the center?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replays.

I was told going into the higher centers will give me a different sound from the other 2 fronts. This coming from my local hidef audio store.

Hum, I call BS on the 'highdef' store. Staying with the same Motion line with the folded motion tweeter is recommended, and then within that, the biggest you can fit/afford.
Even the model C will not have the same capacity of the 12s in terms of dynamics in the mid-bass, but should be equal from there on up.

... Also those receivers are double the price of what the shop recommended for me. They suggested a pioneer something I forgot the model number. I have until Nov dec until I finish the room so maybe prices will drop but should I invest more into amp or the center?

If you have to allocate, more to the center then.

The reason for recommending an XT32 capable unit is you plan to have dual subs, only XT32 will *independently* time-align and volume set 2 subs. All lower forms of room correction (including MACC on Pioneer), only handle 1 sub (or both as if they were one, which is, no pun intended, sub-optimal).

Besides XT32, those receivers have much better power than lower priced units. And it's not just about total watts, its also the quality of those watts.

Hum, I call BS on the 'highdef' store. Staying with the same Motion line with the folded motion tweeter is recommended, and then within that, the biggest you can fit/afford.
Even the model C will not have the same capacity of the 12s in terms of dynamics in the mid-bass, but should be equal from there on up.

I planned on going atleast Motion C but are you saying its ok to even go higher then that? If so which models would you suggest.

And now I understand more fully on the subs. If that is the full reason maybe I should try to sell the dynamo 500s and get just 1 big sub. 1 is brand new in box and the other I just opened to look at it.

Im sure the dynamos I have are not The best of the best but my room is not huge so thats why I took the route of having 2 for the great price I got them at. So therefore would the smarter route be Investing In 1 big sub and then not spending as much on the amp or spend the money on the amp and keep the subs?

Thanks guys I am just trying to get all this straight before the end of the year so I can complete my room.

I have all these speakers here and have not even taken them out of the box its killing me .

I planned on going atleast Motion C but are you saying its ok to even go higher then that? If so which models would you suggest.

The Motion C is the ideal center for your rig IMHO.

And now I understand more fully on the subs. If that is the full reason maybe I should try to sell the dynamo 500s and get just 1 big sub. 1 is brand new in box and the other I just opened to look at it.

I'm sure the dynamos I have are not The best of the best but my room is not huge so thats why I took the route of having 2 for the great price I got them at. So therefore would the smarter route be Investing In 1 big sub and then not spending as much on the amp or spend the money on the amp and keep the subs?

Thanks guys I am just trying to get all this straight before the end of the year so I can complete my room.

I have all these speakers here and have not even taken them out of the box its killing me .

Dual subs are better than one sub most days, as smoothing out the bass energy in the room is very important. So even without the benefits of a much more 'correct' room EQ provided by XT32, your setup will benefit from 2 subs.

Read up on ideal sub placements for 2 subs. Typically center of front wall and center of rear wall are best for rectangular rooms.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back