Which Amp to buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garmtz said:
Point well taken... :) I meant it mostly as an example of course. You are totally right that you cannot rely on the price of a component as a quality indicator.

Glad you took my post the right way, as I did not mean it as an attack on you at all. People have to realize that more money does not equate to better sound in all the components and accessories we decide to add to our systems. When someone states that "my system cost more than yours", I just shrug my shoulders and say.."so?" I enjoy my system and you enjoy yours....that is what this great hobby is all about.

But like I said if you are happy with what you run, it really does not matter what any one thinks about the price you paid. You made that decision and you are happy with your equipment.

The best thing is that in the past few years, more and more sellers are using the 30 day trial and return for full money business practice. Where was that when I started buying stuff many many many years ago... :)

I think my amps are also way overpriced... ;) Happy I bought them 2nd hand for a very good price!

Another thing I believe in: buy good 2nd hand amps! :) It will save you a bundle, which you can use to buy a better amp.

I agree whole heartedly on buying second hand and saving a bundle. Buying frugally is something I have prided myself on. Paying MSRP, like at Tweeter and other Stereo Shops is something I just will not do, no matter how much I like or want the new toy.

Dan

garmtz, not sure if you have compared your chord to any pass labs x series amps (ie. x250, x350). if so, how would you compare the 2 amps?

Anthony A. said:
garmtz, not sure if you have compared your chord to any pass labs x series amps (ie. x250, x350). if so, how would you compare the 2 amps?

The Pass amps sound a bit more 'relaxed'. Chord amps sound very tight and fast (very close to Spectral in this regard), Pass amps emphasize a bit more on tonal variety (color, not colorations!). Both have a very sweet top end.

To be able to make a more thorough description, I would really have to compare them level matched side-by-side. These are observations from memory.

SugarMedia.

The best you can do is to buy to power amplifiers - one for bass and one for treble. In a lot of tests we have the same result; Martin Logan plays much better if we do so. When you do so, you also connect them for BI-AMPing, witch gives you a lot of possibilities in your choice of cables. You can choose the best cables for bass and the best cables treble - even for interconnect and loudspeaker cables. Believe me; it plays much better this way.
In the same time when you separate things this way, it’s easier with cables; you don’t need to spend money for expensive cables. I had a very nice result with cheap loudspeaker cables from SUPRA, PLY 2.0 for treble and PLY 3.4 for bass – metres cable you can cut. This cable plays very good, but the need to play three weeks before they open up (normally I use Valhalla and SPM).
It’s enough with to small amplifiers, don’t buy some big amplifiers. I don’t know why, but a small amplifier always plays better than these big complicated monsters.

Best regards
Jorgen Toftdahl
(Denmark)

Audio Vs. Home Theatre w/ ML's

Just can't let this good discussion die.

I know there are a lot of purists out there, especially in the audio-only group. Power....we need MORE power!! From everything I have read and re-read, well tubes must rock (sorry have not heard a good set up front and personal yet).

But would tubes be also good for a HT where a mix of 75% HT/25% audio will be the norm? I'm considering Aeon i, Theater i, and Scenarios due to room size, with 2 stereo Outlaw LFM-1's subs.

Are any of the new and latest 7 channel separates worth looking at using, where I can go with a 5.1 set-up for HT, and still have the 2 left over channels for bi-amping the fronts? I am currently looking for units (McIntosh, NAD, Rotel) that will deliver a true sustained 150-200w at 8 ohm through all 7 channels (4 ohm certainly higher) at full hz, with a total delivery capability over 1 to 1.5 KW. The room is dedicated and enclosed but only 12' X 18' X 8' in size..... and will have full accoustic treatments.

Does that power translate into good sound for the HT experience, or are tubes and super highend monos a must? I also would like some great music (sound like we want it all here?)

LaserMark4,

Look into some good used EAD amps. Very well built and sound amazing. I used to run their equipment and was always impressed with their sound. Since you are more into HT I would suggest to go separate amps and a good pre. I had a EAD TheatreMaster before but the upgrade path was always way too much $$$$. I now use a receiver with preamp outs and have all the latest formats for the price of a upgrade. It would be nice to get a Lexicon or a Theta but I spent the money on a tube pre instead.

Now I've split the HT and audio systems with only the front 2ch amp and speakers being shared between the 2. The receiver can be sold and replaced anytime with the latest gimics from DD or DTS.

EricE said:
LaserMark4,

Look into some good used EAD amps. Very well built and sound amazing. I used to run their equipment and was always impressed with their sound. Since you are more into HT I would suggest to go separate amps and a good pre. I had a EAD TheatreMaster before but the upgrade path was always way too much $$$$. I now use a receiver with preamp outs and have all the latest formats for the price of a upgrade. It would be nice to get a Lexicon or a Theta but I spent the money on a tube pre instead.

Now I've split the HT and audio systems with only the front 2ch amp and speakers being shared between the 2. The receiver can be sold and replaced anytime with the latest gimics from DD or DTS.

Some great ideas and suggestions there, EricE. I'm a little dense and still learning, and the thought of separating the audio and HT makes some sense now. Have the majority of other ML users separated the two in this fashion also?

Also checked out EAD at Audiogon and their site, and those little puppies pump out some serious power! No chance to fall short in using these it would appear. Hoping to audition EAD and a few other choices in the Denver area shortly.

I've been thinking of totaly separating the audio and video systems into separate rooms but this made a little bit more sense. I'm sure Classe is not the only amp manu. that has a switch between balances and single ended inputs. If worse comes to worse you could also just unplug and plug separate signal feeds from a 2ch pre and a HT processor.

Keeping them together allows you to show nature pictures on the huge screen as you listen to your HiFi stuff, right? :) I think you would also miss the great acoustics treatment you have done--

A seriously steep learning curve here-- I should have started 20 years ago, but its been fun catching up.

I lived with a Rotel amp hooked up to my Aerius since 1992, they are a good mid-fi product. I recently seperated out my H.T. system from the 2-channel set up by purchasing a new Rotel processor, a used tube amp and M&K speakers, they share the same room. For the past four months or so I've been using the Golden tube SE-100 (100 watt) amp and a tube preamp GRAAF WFB-One with tube phono. I picked each tube unit up used for about one thousand dollars each. I now live in the land of HI-FI, good bye MID-FI.

Latest posts

Back