What is better? a Top of Line AVR or used separates for Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have built my system by starting down a similar path. When I bought my first pair of MLs, the Ascent-i, I had the top of the line Pioneer Elite receiver, the 49TXi. Knowing that I would go to separates eventually, I did run the Ascents on it with some satisfaction. Later, I added a Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 to the mix and used the 49TXi as a preamp. Much, much better.

Now, I have a dedicated 2-ch system. As I upgraded my preamp/amp combo, I have gotten significantly better performance along the way. If you can add at least a good multi-channel amp to the Onkyo and use the Onkyo as a preamp, I would imagine that the improvement you experience will be similar to my own. If budget is a concern, that is the upgrade I would recommend. Rotel, Parasound, and Sunfire all make very good multi-channel amps that offer good value for the money. I would also look at Emotiva. I use an Emotiva 3-channel amp in my HT setup and I highly endorse it.

asindc - I have tried the Rotel RMB-1075 with a Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXh as a preamp. Both multi-channel and 2-channel are better via the Onkyo 5007 then the Rotel/Pioneer combo. Granted the Pioneer elite 49txi was a better receiver than the VSX-23. I am trying to decide between the Emotiva XPA-2 or the Parasound A-23. Any preferrence. Thanks.

asindc - I have tried the Rotel RMB-1075 with a Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXh as a preamp. Both multi-channel and 2-channel are better via the Onkyo 5007 then the Rotel/Pioneer combo. Granted the Pioneer elite 49txi was a better receiver than the VSX-23. I am trying to decide between the Emotiva XPA-2 or the Parasound A-23. Any preferrence. Thanks.

I haven't heard that particular Parasound amp, but I did have the A21. Loved it. One of the best bangs for the buck in audio, IMO. If the A23 is anything like it, I think you can't go wrong there. Having said that, I have the Emotiva XPA-3 and like it almost as much as I did the A21. I only use the XPA-3 for HT, but it rocks! You might have visited the Emotiva forums on their website. Emotiva owners definitely come across as fanboys (present company included:music:), but there is a reason for that! If you can audition the two together I definitely think you should, as I think you will determine which "flavor" you enjoy savoring more, quality aside.

i have an XPA-2 for a few months now and am very happy with it. im trying to do some comps here locally to get a real feel for it value compared to more expensive amps, ill report back if i can get others involved and make it happen.

Marantz PM-15S2 or Emotiva XPA-2

i have an XPA-2 for a few months now and am very happy with it. im trying to do some comps here locally to get a real feel for it value compared to more expensive amps, ill report back if i can get others involved and make it happen.

Ok, I have narrowed my choices down to Marantz integrated amp PM-15S2 or the Emotiva XPA-2.

Does anyone have any experience with the Marantz integrated amp?

Thanks.

I like my XPA-2, you will have to spend a lot more to do better IMO, and thats a value.

I'm using an Onkyo TX-NR807 for combination HT & 2-channel - along with an Emotiva XPA-2 which is dedicated to driving my Vantage panels at all times.

The Vantages sound great driven by the XPA-2. I'd like a UPA-1 for the Motif center channel speaker, because the 807 doesn't quite cut it when tasked with driving that speaker along with a couple of Polk Audio RM85's for surround.

Don't know if this helps much, but it's another vote for the XPA-2 if you're on a budget.

For me, i went with outboard amp. I like my Denon AVR4306 quite a bit...i just added a Sunfire 7401...and love it. The Denon AVR has a very good pre-amp & processor...so, i have no reason to change it out.

Why do you have to sell the Onkyo? does it have pre outs?

if it does put a quality preamp in between it and a good power amp, it will still act as your surround processor and the pre and amp can handle 2 channel sound and the 5 channel amp can also be the amp driving your surround setup

Could not have said it better -- solid logical approach here.

Thank you.

Thank you everyone for the advise. The Emotiva XPA-2 is currently on sale too! This thread got moved even though the topic is related to choosing an amp for the MartinLogan Vantage Speakers. Very strange.

Back